Axle seal leak??

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oh dam

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Coupe
1994 GT Coupe
Ok so i have been finding my driver side rim with some spots of gear oil. And i recently took it to the track and that same rim just got caked on with oil. Now I have been told that it might be my seals that have gone bad. But talking to the autoparts dude he said it might be coming from the driveshaft or the "internals" Now my question is where is it common to leak from? Its a 8" open diff. And has far as i know it has not been rebuilt. I ordered some wheel seals (thats what the guy said) and im hoping that this will solve the problems but until then what would you think it is? the diff? wheel seals? or what??

and i cant look at it now because unfortunately i dont keep it at where i stay :/..college student problems.

I agree, most likely axle seals. I also agree about replacing the bearings, as they wear you get a little movement that is often the reason the seals begin leaking.

dammit..ok well hopefully its just the seals. A friend and I are going to install them tomorrow so lets hope that holds up temporily. I plan on going with 3.55 gears and posi so I will have the pumpkin rebuilt when i have the funds :p..thank you gentlemen

it's got nothing to do with the pumpkin. When the bearings in the ends of the axles start wearing out they tend to have some play and the axle seals next to them stop sealing. if one goes you pretty much have to replace both the seal and the bearing, otherwise you'll be in there again in a few weeks to replace both.

Add to that, that you have to remove the bearing to replace the seal, No point putting the old one back on.....
Actually, the axle tube seal is independent of the axle, but you have to pull the axles out to replace them. Both 8" and 9" are replaced in similar manner.

Ok well the bearings are good since there was no play in the axle shaft. and we attempted to take off the shaft. However the shaft just wont give up! we did that ghetto thing where we deserve the drum and use it as a hammer type thing..and it just wont come off..so i think im just going to keep it greased up and save up for a 9".

Add to that, that you have to remove the bearing to replace the seal, No point putting the old one back on.....
Actually, the axle tube seal is independent of the axle, but you have to pull the axles out to replace them. Both 8" and 9" are replaced in similar manner.

OOOP's sorry, Yep your right, my mistake, too late at night and too many brews on my part..

traclock-9in.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok well the bearings are good since there was no play in the axle shaft. and we attempted to take off the shaft. However the shaft just wont give up! we did that ghetto thing where we deserve the drum and use it as a hammer type thing..and it just wont come off..so i think im just going to keep it greased up and save up for a 9".
Are you sure you took all 4 bolts out that hold the axel to the back plate? I've never had an axel get hung in the tube. :huh:

Yup they were all out all 4. the plate and brake assembly were able to be moved back and forth..well slightly. it did have movement and the 4 bolts were out. But the axle didnt have movement just the normal rotation.

They can be stubborn to get out sometimes. I use a crows foot with a 10lb slide hammer. The crows foot goes on the wheel studs and gets held on by the lug nuts. Then attach the slam hammer and bang away till she pops.

Back