Backup Camera

AndrewBeng

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
1972 Mach 1
Hello everybody, I have a 1971 Mach 1 with louvers and I’m considering getting a backup camera, I am wondering if anyone has any recommendations? I know I can get flamed for having a backup camera on a classic, but better safe than sorry haha.

AB

AndrewBeng

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
1972 Mach 1
Someone did that and posted a thread here...
Thanks for letting me know luxstang, I searched the threads and didn’t see anything. Maybe I didn’t do a good enough job searching. lollerz

Don C

Fords Forever
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Sportroof M code
Try searching for "rear view camera", that should bring up some.

Flatback72

VIP Members
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Sprint Sportsroof
I put a back up camera on mine as well, but it did stop working about two years ago and now I have a lot more confidence backing the car these days so I haven't bothered to replace it yet.

The best thing I ever did though was add a camera that looked out into the rear passenger side blind spot. I literally look at it every time that I change lanes to the right and it's been invaluable for spotting cars hiding behind the massive rear roof pillar. I used a spy camera rather than a reversing camera though because the spy cameras aren't wide angle vision. Before this I had tried the wide angle camera and it was useless because it made the cars on the screen too small to see.

cam1.jpg

cam_3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Hemikiller

VIP Members
Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach 1
65 coupe

Mister 4x4

Too Big to Sneak
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1
I can't remember which thread it was, but I have a Pyle Audio camera and monitor set-up in mine.

The camera is part of the rear license plate frame, and the monitor is a full width rear view mirror 'clip-on' unit.  rather than leave it clipped onto the mirror all the time, I picked up a GPS Tank Bag mounting bracket from Twisted Throttle.com to mount like a third sun visor.  Also from Twisted Throttle.com, I found some LED license plate fasteners, since the factory LP light is right above the camera, it would effectively blind it at night.  The only bad part is the wires have to go through the LP frame and LP itself when installing, but how often will you be removing/reinstalling the LP & frame, though?

Here's the monitor clipped onto the mirror:

attachment.php

Here's the rear LP frame (hard to see, sorry for the bad pic):

Frankcarshow_2017-6.jpg

I'm tossing around the idea of getting an electric trunk lock popper and use the trunk lock for the camera - that's really the best place for the camera, IMHO.

SteveO_71

Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach 1, 351c 4v, C6 trans, grabber blue with white interior