Best Carb for Stock Boss 351 w headers

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4mm

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang 351C 4V Fastback
Hello all,

I am looking to get into a carb instead of going EFI. I have a brand new repro Pony Carb that I don't want to use and instead store away. I am looking for a nice carb that will work with the stock B1 intake, increase responsiveness and increase power. The engine is all stock except for the Hooker Super Comp headers.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. I have been out of the carb game for a while and I don't know what's out there. Maybe a new aftermarket manifold and matching carb would be best?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Holley on my car and it's been a great carb for many years. I just had it rebuilt last month for the first time and I've owned it for 29 years. Very dependable easy to get parts for and a good all around performer on the street. Mine is a 715 cfm built exclusively for 65-66 Shelby GT350s but it seems to work well on a Q code 351 Cleveland. On a real Boss 351 I'd personally be searching for a correct carb for it. That's a car with more historical value and the correct carb would be important.

I have used these guys several times in the past and cant say enough good about them. I consider their cabs a poor mans EFI. They just work great and are tailored to your car in ways an off the shelf carb could never be. Top notch customer service every time I've called.

http://www.prosystemsracing.com/proseries4150.html

this is the best set up for your app . . it will have monster throttle throttle response and more power in the lower rpm range.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dem-1402020ve/overview/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-7564/overview/make/ford

if you want a mechanical secondary carb then any of these will do.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dem-5402020gc/overview/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/qft-ss-750-an/overview/

the other thing you should do is set your timing curve . . i can tell you how to check it and set it if it needs it.

Have you ever driven a car with that Demon carb?

FWIW.... I had a 625 Road Demon VS back about 13 years ago on my stockish 85 GT at the time. I hate to say it but I think they are terrible driving carburetors. They idle well, acceleration and wide open throttle is great, but cruise is terrible. They obviously only cared about the horsepower numbers required for dyno testing. I am very versed at tuning Holleys but this was something else. Even though they use all traditional Holley parts, they do not respond the same way(if at all) when it comes to tuning. I had so much trouble with mine, sunk hundreds into it trying to get it to run correctly. Sold it for a huge loss but do not regret it. Wasted so much time and money on it trying to get it right. I've been down that road and never want to go back.

FWIW.... I had a 625 Road Demon VS back about 13 years ago on my stockish 85 GT at the time. I hate to say it but I think they are terrible driving carburetors. They idle well, acceleration and wide open throttle is great, but cruise is terrible.
yes, i have had several demon carbs.

the road demon is a far cry from the other demons . . the other demons work well with basic jetting changes for the particular engine it is used on . . the one i posted is a speed demon and it has billet base plate, billet metering blocks . . i think they also redid the road demon and the newer version is much better.

unfortunately, there are very few annular booster carbs, especially with a choke and vacuum secondaries, and this is one of the better ones in that price range.

annular carbs tend to be a bit pricey.

this is the best set up for your app . . it will have monster throttle throttle response and more power in the lower rpm range.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dem-1402020ve/overview/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-7564/overview/make/ford

if you want a mechanical secondary carb then any of these will do.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dem-5402020gc/overview/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/qft-ss-750-an/overview/

the other thing you should do is set your timing curve . . i can tell you how to check it and set it if it needs it.

I went with the mech qft you listed, I only chose that over demon because of the elect choke. Unreal carb.

FWIW.... I had a 625 Road Demon VS back about 13 years ago on my stockish 85 GT at the time. I hate to say it but I think they are terrible driving carburetors. They idle well, acceleration and wide open throttle is great, but cruise is terrible.

the road demon is a far cry from the other demons . . the other demons work well with basic jetting changes for the particular engine it is used on . . the one i posted is a speed demon and it has billet base plate, billet metering blocks . . i think they also redid the road demon and the newer version is much better.

unfortunately, there are very few annular booster carbs, especially with a choke and vacuum secondaries, and this is one of the better ones in that price range.

Your not alone I know of a few other people who had bad experience's with Demon carbs (including myself) I've been told they are better now then they were back then. Personally I have no plan to find out.

Your not alone I know of a few other people who had bad experience's with Demon carbs (including myself) I've been told they are better now then they were back then. Personally I have no plan to find out.
I think Holley owns them now.

mike

Stock 71 Boss 351 intake? That has a unique spread bore that only the 4300D matches up to. So unless you come up with an adapter to take a typical square bore pattern to the spread bore pattern, you are going to have issues with opening the throttle plates. Do any of the carbs mentioned above have the proper spread bore pattern? (I'm curious if anyone is making something to fit, but think the cost of producing one would be a no-go since the market is so limited)

BTW: I had one of the early Demon carbs - spent many hundreds and finally sold it for $100 just to get rid of it.

Stock 71 Boss 351 intake? That has a unique spread bore that only the 4300D matches up to. So unless you come up with an adapter to take a typical square bore pattern to the spread bore pattern, you are going to have issues with opening the throttle plates. Do any of the carbs mentioned above have the proper spread bore pattern? (I'm curious if anyone is making something to fit, but think the cost of producing one would be a no-go since the market is so limited)

BTW: I had one of the early Demon carbs - spent many hundreds and finally sold it for $100 just to get rid of it.
No one makes a replacement Ford asymmetrical spreadbore carb that I am aware of. Even in their heyday, they were not well regarded carbs. Adapters used to be available but I am not sure if they are anymore.

The best bet is to use an aftermarket intake and carb, and save the original parts for posterity.

the base model blue thunder is the best of the blue thunders and is a killler . . it produces more average power than all the others in its category, but it is not exactly a torque producing manifold but it may be better than the boss one for his app.

So I assume the general consensus is that the Blue Thunder intake is superior to the Edelbrock RPM Air Gap?

So I assume the general consensus is that the Blue Thunder intake is superior to the Edelbrock RPM Air Gap?
not for your application as i interpret it.

how far do you plan to rev the engine?

you can not rev it to 6800 rpm and have a lot of bottom end tq and throttle response.

^^Sounds like what I am going to do. Would you suggest a four port spacer or an open spacer?

Back