Best Carb for Stock Boss 351 w headers

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^^Sounds like what I am going to do. Would you suggest a four port spacer or an open spacer?
they only make an open hole style.

this one will work.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mrg-1932?seid=srese1&gclid=CKvBgYeV0sUCFQuFaQodzAEAuw
Woohoo, I happened to find one as I was sifting through the garage this morning. I guess I had it for a while and forgot about it. Thanks!

Muswagon and Barnet 68 I am going with the QF SS 750 AN. I decided on the Quick Fuel over the Demon just because of Demons past issues, they still are in the back of my mind (even though the Demon looks cooler). Hope I made the right choice!

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/qft-ss-750-an

Last edited by a moderator:
Muswagon and Barnet 68 I am going with the QF SS 750 AN. I decided on the Quick Fuel over the Demon just because of Demons past issues, they still are in the back of my mind (even though the Demon looks cooler). Hope I made the right choice!

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/qft-ss-750-an
thats a great carb but keep in mind that it is a mechanical secondary . . your engine may fall flat on its face if you floor it off the line but then it may not.

I still do not know why anyone would purchase a carb off the shelf, when they could have one custom made for their exact application for only a few dollars more that comes with some of the best customer support in the business? Almost no tuning required. Drop it on, set the floats and idle mixture screws and go.

^^Mike, I completely agree but I don't know anybody. Who would you recommend for our engines?

^^Mike, I completely agree but I don't know anybody. Who would you recommend for our engines?
you can make your engine run perfectly fine with a good aftermarket carb . . custom carbs are nice but i doubt you will find many people that do annular booster carbs and my guess is that those guys will come up with lots of questionable reasons as to why there is no difference or a downleg is better etc.

www.prosystemsracing.com

Click on the "Online Quote/Order Form", fill it out and submit it. You will likely hear back in one maybe two business days.

If you already have something like a 750 double pumper, they can "Rebuild/Custom Calibrate" your used carb to work just as well for a few hundred dollars less.

Just because a carb has annular boosters does not mean it will work best in a specific application. You can indeed ask them and they might say it's a worthy upgrade, but of all the carbs I've ordered through them I have not had any come back with annular boosters.

I'm working on a customers 1968 Charger at the moment. Just yesterday I received this carburetor for it. It's going on a 528ci Hemi with a solid roller cam and aftermarket aluminum heads. A true 1000cfm carb. If the customer would have had a intake manifold that would have fit a Dominator it would have been a better choice, but Pro Systems guys build you the best carb they can that will fit your exact application. This thing is built to put down about 700hp.

IMG_25891_zps8u2etglh.jpg

IMG_25901_zpsmwmeq3an.jpg

Just because a carb has annular boosters does not mean it will work best in a specific application. You can indeed ask them and they might say it's a worthy upgrade, but of all the carbs I've ordered through them I have not had any come back with annular boosters.
i'm familiar with prosystems and they are just down the road from me and in fact, they will not suggest an annular carb and this is because they wont do an annular carb unless its a dominator because all the dominators have annular boosters.

ford also invented the annular booster and used it on every engine they made except for the ones that used factory holleys like a 67 390 4 barrel, 428 cj's and boss 302's etc.

no ,matter what carb you use, it will not give you a night and day improvement in low end power . . only changing the intake will do that.

Well I now have a D1ZX-DA manifold which will work with a square bore carb.

I took Barnetts advice and now have an oem distributor which I will install the Pertronix parts.

I just need to decide on the carb. I'm going for the stock look with some added performance. I was thinking of buying this carb since it's rather inexpensive (and to make up for some of the manifold cost). It has great feedback all over the net and has annular boosters.

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/sum-m08750vs

I hope I'm not making a mistake by not going with the blue thunder intake and a pro-systems carb or the vac secondary 750 demon carb (looks nice!)

Mike, I will fill out the form tonight.

Pic of the Ford alum intake

image.jpg

image.jpg

ok, very nice intakes but just so you know, it won't give you anywhere near near as much bottom end as the one i suggested and neither would the blue thunder.

that summit carb actually is a great carb for what it is and the price is right . . you can also buy one that had been rebuilt for around $90.00 less that has the same warranty and is probably better than the new one but it is not the carb i would use . . it is actually an old holley design that has been improved and all of it except for the main body is made in the us . . the main body is made in china from holley's tooling then machined by holley in the us . . the friggen things used to only be around $280.00 a couple years ago.

i would also run an adjustable vacuum advance with that and one of the mr gasket 925d springs in place of the heavier of the two springs in it.

I would have used this coil for just a few dollars more because it will likely never go bad the the pertronix ones sometimes do.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/msd-8222

if the intake is really grungy and wont clean up nicely, one option is to get it walnut shelled or use plastic media then wash it off and spray verathane satin clear on it . . home depot has it.

also, i dont remember if i suggested to plug the exhaust heat cross overs but i would do that too.

you will also likely need a holley secondary spring kit for that to get the secondaries to open soon enough . . i would start with the short yellow spring.

no ,matter what carb you use, it will not give you a night and day improvement in low end power . . only changing the intake will do that.
I believe the edelbrock RPM air gap will resulting nice improvement but I'm trying to stay away from that logo :(

You don't think the blue thunder will result in the same gains as the Edelbrock? I can always sell the 40 intake for a decent amount of money and buy the aftermarket intake and that demon carb with annular boosters and if I can secondary. I can always sell the ford intake for a decent amount of money and buy an aftermarket intake and that demon carb with annular boosters and a vacuum secondary. Or just grind off it'll Edelbrock logo. Decisions, decisions...

You don't think the blue thunder will result in the same gains as the Edelbrock?
i added a lot more to my post above.

your initial comments were that you wanted more bottom end and throttle response which is why i suggested the 2v eddy intake . . it will stomp the bejesus out of the D1 and blue thunder in the bottom end department without loosing much if anything on top end in your particular app . . if you are going to drive mainly under around 5.000 rpm, the eddy will be far far better but you are giving up a little to get a little or a lot.

Grind the logo off of the Edelbrock if you need you need to and paint it old Ford blue, most people wouldn't know it wasn't stock. I went the air gap manifold a canton racing 4 hole intake spacer, and the 1406 600 cfm electric choke carb using a dual snorkel air cleaner from an 85 gt under a flat hood, no way would this work with a ram air setup but it runs pretty damn good with good crisp throttle response. Now I am sure more power could be gained on the top end with a bigger carb, but for just cruising around on the street it works great with the 600. Oops just noticed you have a boss, never mind.

Given your desire for a near stock appearance and the fact that you have the DA intake, I'd try using it and the Summit carb. The carb is an evolved 3rd generation Autolite 4100 using Holley parts and with more adjustability. As you said, the DA can always be sold for some serious money if you want to go another way in the future. Use a heat isolating base gasket under the carb and check the fitment/port seal of the intake to the heads before assembly to ensure a good seal at the bottom of the ports. Chuck

Back