black paint code

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1badmach1

Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach 1 yellow and black
Hey everyone I have a question I have a grabber yellow mach 1 with a 302 it didn't come with the black on hood . I m going to get it done n 're do black on bottom of the car. Is there a special code for the black that ford used?

Here is a link to the 429 Megasite on their Paint section. This should have most if not all of the information you need. Allan Shepley who did the paint work on my car contributed his formulation on the black paint for the hood and rockers. Please share with us your progress as it goes into and come out of paint.

http://429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.com/paint_info.htm

The original paint used was acrylic and is no longer available. Are you going to use single stage, or 2 stage paint? SEM offers a single stage satin black 39144, and ppg makes a 2 stage satin clear DCU2060. I actually like the high gloss look myself but it is not original to the cars.

Matte black is a fairly good representation of what came stock, and it is fairly durable.

However, if you really want a 100% authentic look, mix any black paint 50/50 with flattening agent. DO NOT clear-coat it.

It will look perfect, but will also be fragile. You can't wax it and you can't clean it to roughly. Fingerprints are tough to remove.

Back