Bojo's 73 Project

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thx for all the comments guys!!! Today I put on the fuel tank and start installing the electric fuel pump. I plan to work on it daily during the holidays.

Merry Christmas all and hope that you all enjoy the holidays.

-jbojo

Have a Merry Christmas John!! Glad you got it home just in time so i could help..lol..And just before Christmas.

The one picture i snapped of the car when we got it in the garage.

PC230094.JPG

12/18/13

Talking to the painter later this afternoon to see where we are. My only concern is that its supposed to snow tomorrow and Friday so not sure if I'll be able to pick up the car. Don't want to tow with a tarp covering it and has no windows so I am at the mercy of the weather conditions.

In the meantime I got the seats finished and they are ready to be installed. Couple of pics of the finished seats.

-jbojo
I know you had the all vinyl Mach 1 interior originally so I am interested in how you did your seats. Did you get new vinyl from a kit or an upholsterer? Did you do these seats yourself or send them away? They look really good. Glad you stayed with the all vinyl design!

Very nice are you trying to have it done for the 50th party

if so whitch one are you going to?

I know you had the all vinyl Mach 1 interior originally so I am interested in how you did your seats. Did you get new vinyl from a kit or an upholsterer? Did you do these seats yourself or send them away? They look really good. Glad you stayed with the all vinyl design!
Steve,

I got the seat covers online and had them istalled locally. This is not a concourse restoration so I did not get the original seat materials that the other folks on this site have done. Thought if I want to put it back to original later on I can redo the seats again. I kept everything so that it can be restored to concourse if I ever decide that I want it that way.

Liftmech,

Yeah I am trying to do that but unsure if I can get it all together by then. If I do it will be the Las Vegas event. Thx for the comments.

-jbojo

12/24/13

BTW, I got the gas tank installed today. Had to take the larger rear sway bar that I installed off because the tank straps wouldn't go on because of clearance issues. Will try to install the fuel pump tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Steve,

I got the seat covers online and had them istalled locally. This is not a concourse restoration so I did not get the original seat materials that the other folks on this site have done. Thought if I want to put it back to original later on I can redo the seats again. I kept everything so that it can be restored to concourse if I ever decide that I want it that way.

Liftmech,

Yeah I am trying to do that but unsure if I can get it all together by then. If I do it will be the Las Vegas event. Thx for the comments.

-jbojo

12/24/13

BTW, I got the gas tank installed today. Had to take the larger rear sway bar that I installed off because the tank straps wouldn't go on because of clearance issues. Will try to install the fuel pump tomorrow.
Did you get the fuel filler neck installed?

Wow! You're moving FAST! ::goodjob::

Seeing all the stuff you've done makes me think I'm dragging my feet.

Excellent job! ::thumb::

Steve,

Liftmech,

-jbojo

12/24/13

Did you get the fuel filler neck installed?
Travis,

I lubed the filler neck with silicon grease and it went right in. I had more trouble getting the tank straps on because the rear sway bars were in the way. Had to remove them to get the straps on. Pics tomorrow. Thx again for the help today!!! Merry Christmas

-john

12/25/13

Just an update on my progress today, didn't get as much done as I wanted too. First up is the present my car got today for Christmas. I am also attaching pics of the gas tank installation and how the rear of the car is looking now. Still haven't done the fuel system but that my project for tomorrow.

-jbojo

IMG_2490.JPG

IMG_2492.JPG

IMG_2493.JPG

IMG_2494.JPG

12/27/2013

Today I mounted the rear bumper but holding off on the valence because I jacked up the car and have it on jack stands right now. I went ahead and mounted the Lakewood traction bars because I like that old school look and they were popular in the 60's and 70's. One mod that was needed was to weld ears on the traction bars so that the rear sway bar could be connected without having to use the factory plate that is sandwiched on the U bolts. Attached pics of the bars installed and the new piece where the mounting HW attaches to. Also roughed in the electric fuel pump with a pre filter and a post filter up to the engine compartment. I will be using stainless braided fuel lines in the engine compartment. Tomorrow I'll tidy up the lines and start to Wire the Gear Vendors overdrive unit while it's off the ground.

-jbojo

IMG_2495.JPG

IMG_2497.JPG

IMG_2496.JPG

IMG_2499.JPG

IMG_2500.JPG

IMG_2498.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
12/28/13

Finished securing all the fuel lines with rubber clamps so the fuel system is done now. I also started hooking up the speedometer cable to the overdrive unit and wired the solenoid and speed sensor up and routed the wires into the passenger compartment. Had one issue with the speedo cable, the coupler kept pushing the original speedometer cable out when I attached the speed sensor to it. The speedo cable is just pressed on the silver tube and the speed sensor is screwed onto the right side of the silver tube. The hex cable drive was just a little too long and I didn't want to shorten it so I wound up putting a spacer on the right side and all is good now. Also searched under the dash to mount the controller but couldn't find a suitable place so I finally decided to put it in the glove box. There are also 2 indicators and one switch that I need to install and I didn't want to drill holes in the dash and I think I have a solution. I'll post pics tomorrow after I try out my solution. Pic of the oem speedo cable, the coupler, Speed sensor, and an extension cable installed to the overdrive unit is attached.

-jbojo

IMG_2502.JPG

12/29/13

Today I decided where to put the GV control unit. I bought a repop glove box so I would not put holes into the original one and mounted it there. There are also two indicators and one switch which controls whether the GV is in auto or manual mode. The Red indicator tells you when you are in auto and the green tells you when you are in overdrive. The dilemma was where to mount them. My solution was to use the center mount ashtray so when the lid is closed you have no indication that an overdrive unit is installed. I even found a use for the medallion that I purchased awhile back. Few pics of the mod I did. This completes the wiring for the GV so tomorrow I start getting the engine prepped for startup.

-jbojo

IMG_2507.JPG

IMG_2509.JPG

IMG_2510.JPG

IMG_2511.JPG

IMG_2512.JPG

IMG_2513.JPG

IMG_2514.JPG

1/1/2014

Well things did not work as planned and I am nowhere near starting the motor. One of the things that I am still missing is the pwr steering hoses which need to be custom made. Since the motor will have a serpentine system I can't run the PWR steering pump dry. Also I keep going back and forth on the Ram Air. I am using the Blue Thunder manifold and am debating whether to switch to the Edelbrock performer. Anyway the rear wing is on now so I attached a pic of that. Tomorrow I am going to try to go and see if I can have some pwr steering hoses made up.

-jbojo

IMG_2516.JPG

IMG_2517.JPG

IMG_2519.JPG

Latest posts

Back