Bojo's 73 Project

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Although I usually don't comment because people have so many different ideas of what looks good, and being older I find some of my ideas are stuck in the past. I must admit I have enjoyed your post, pictures, and how you completed certain restoration and upgrades. It is a daily ritual for me to check and see what was happening on your post. I think your car looks fantastic. I have gotten so many ideas on how I might start my project with all the different ways you proceeded with repairs and the web sites that have been posted by you and others. I am also impressed with your skill level and patience and the quality of your restoration. Although I know your excited to be close to finish, I hope you will continue to let us know any changes you might make or your evaluation of the items you have installed. How proud you must be of the final product.

So Jealous in Florida

Budbass

She looks absolutely fantastic!!! I'm excited to see the final result! Good job, John!

-Travis

Thanks everyone for all the positive responses.

9/21/14

Well fitment issues with the door panels was a nightmare so did not get to where I wanted to be today. Some holes for the wood grain insets were actually drilled in the wrong spots as well as the holes for the door handles. I am just wondering now how much trouble it will be to get them actually on the doors. Any way I have to call it quits for today but the door panels are ready to go on now. May be during the week in the evening I'll be able to get those on. Depending on work schedule I am going to get the car to the muffler shop to get that installed He is charging me $100.00 for labor so it worth it to me.

One pic showing old and new.

IMG_0092.JPG

Well the gremlins strike again. Doesn't seem like this car wants to be back on the road again. The motor developed a oil leak at the front right side of the oil pan. The motor has been run a lot so I don't know why it started to leak now. It's not coming from the crankshaft seal so that's good. So it looks like I will drop the oil pan and replace the gasket again. I put a lot of sealer where the rubber seal meets the cork gasket but still got a leak. Any particular gasket adhesive that might be better to use?

Any suggestions on gaskets that might be better and maybe a better sealing process to use? So I am going to delay the exhaust installation until I fix this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well the gremlins strike again. Doesn't seem like this car wants to be back on the road again. The motor developed a oil leak at the front right side of the oil pan. The motor has been run a lot so I don't know why it started to leak now. It's not coming from the crankshaft seal so that's good. So it looks like I will drop the oil pan and replace the gasket again. I put a lot of sealer where the rubber seal meets the cork gasket but still got a leak. Any particular gasket adhesive that might be better to use?

Any suggestions on gaskets that might be better and maybe a better sealing process to use? So I am going to delay the exhaust installation until I fix this.
This is one of my biggest concern. I just don;t know why they cant make a one piece gasket. I'm doing my paint and gaskets in the next couple of weeks.

9/27/14

Took the week off to relax a little before starting into this again. Today I put on the door panels, again fitment was not good. I bought these about 3 yrs ago when I started collecting parts so they may be better fitting now on the newer runs. The holes for the window handles are not drilled in the exact position as the originals so when you put the handle on there is a space between the handle and the panel. The blurry pic shows you what I mean. This occurred for both doors. So my solution was to put a rubber filler behind the handle to cover the hole. I am now debating to paint it white or leave it as is. Since the interior is black and white it sort of matches everything and does not look too bad in my opinion. Attached pics of this too as well as the before and after shot of the interior now.

Also call the painter to set up an appointment to get the stripes put on so I decided to hold off fixing the oil leak until that is done. I want to get all the stuff done that needs to be taken care of before the bad weather starts setting in and I can work on the leak anytime in the garage. Hopefully he can get to the stripes this week.

IMG_0094.JPG

IMG_0095.JPG

IMG_0096.JPG

IMG_0097.JPG

IMG_0098.JPG

9/27/14

Took the week off to relax a little before starting into this again. Today I put on the door panels, again fitment was not good. I bought these about 3 yrs ago when I started collecting parts so they may be better fitting now on the newer runs. The holes for the window handles are not drilled in the exact position as the originals so when you put the handle on there is a space between the handle and the panel. The blurry pic shows you what I mean. This occurred for both doors. So my solution was to put a rubber filler behind the handle to cover the hole. I am now debating to paint it white or leave it as is. Since the interior is black and white it sort of matches everything and does not look too bad in my opinion. Attached pics of this too as well as the before and after shot of the interior now.

Also call the painter to set up an appointment to get the stripes put on so I decided to hold off fixing the oil leak until that is done. I want to get all the stuff done that needs to be taken care of before the bad weather starts setting in and I can work on the leak anytime in the garage. Hopefully he can get to the stripes this week.
Hi Bojo,

I used this part from OMS they are chrome and used also the white nylon spacer:

Item #FM-BW014A

Greetings from Belgium,

Eddy

9/27/14

Do you know who the manufacture was for the door panels?

9/27/14

Hi Bojo,

Item #FM-BW014A

Greetings from Belgium,

Eddy
Eddy,

Is this part the same diameter of the nylon piece? I have the nylon part but it does not cover up the gap. That's how bad the misalignment is.

thx

9/27/14

Hi Bojo,

Item #FM-BW014A

Greetings from Belgium,

Eddy
Eddy,

Is this part the same diameter of the nylon piece? I have the nylon part but it does not cover up the gap. That's how bad the misalignment is.

thx
Bojo,

The diameter is bigger than the nylon piece(no scratches on the chrome piece when using the nylon piece).

Maybe the photo's will help you...

sdstang: the panels what i used came from Mustang Unlimited and the label on the box says "Made in the USA"

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=DLX71BLK+01&catkey=65-73$srccode=MUEMVWEB

9/27/14

Do you know who the manufacture was for the door panels?
They were made by DashesDirect.

10/4/14

Worked on the interior some more today. First was the rear window, it was so cloudy and hazed over that I was wishing that I had replaced it. I saw the thread about using clay to get the deposit off and thought about using that but the guy from Novus told ne about a product called "A Maz" so I thought I'd go ahead and give it a try. Boy is that stuff good!! It cleaned up the window nicely so I went ahead and did all the windows. They all look as good as the new front windshield now. Best part of this is it was only $11.00 which also included the scrubbing pad.

Also installed the shoulder belts but I lost the screws for the coat hooks so I need to find them. Anyone know what size screw they are? Once I get the coat hooks in I can call the interior done.

So what's left to do?

• Fix the oil leak
  • Get exhaust installed
  • Put the stripes on
  • Get the car inspected by State Patrol
  • Test drive

As for the stripes the painter just had surgery and won't be back until mid Nov so I am going to wait till then. He was ok having his shop people do it but he really wanted to be there when its done so that he can ensure it was done properly. Sort of made me feel good that he wanted to ensure the job quality. Since it's only cosmetic I can do the rest of the stuff now and do the stripes last. So tomorrow I start working on the oil pan gasket.

10/18/14

Ok, the oil leak is fixed and I ran it for awhile and things are looking ok now. Going to get the exhaust put on this week probably on Wednesday and then take it to the State Patrol for the inspection so that they will issue me the plates. The last part is the body stripe install but that won't happen until mid November and then I can call the restoration part completed.

I still would like to have Ram Air and that will be my first upgrade project. I think that I have figured out how to get everything installed with the current setup so I will do the necessary mods to the air cleaner to get it to fit. More to come soon.

Thx DK 73, its been quite the journey for me to get this done.

I attachéd 2 pics of the interior with the first being the ashtray where I mounted the indicators and switch for the GV overdrive. The flash highlighted the dust on the panel and I need to to do a good detailing of the interior. I used the 71-73 medallion to round it out and made a holder for it to give the panel a finished look. Lastly got floor mats with the running horse logo and I think that it brings out the interior.

IMG_3003.JPG

IMG_3004.JPG

All I can say is wow. You have done a fantastic job putting this car into top condition. Hope my Grande turns out as well.

Thanks guys, just a quick update.

The exhaust appt is for Friday and I'll post pic and a video when I get home.

Now the bad news. Contacted the State Patrol and had to make an appt for the inspection. First available opening is 1/09/15 which really sucks. They won't issue plates until then so it won't be on the road this year.

How frustrating! Can you at least get a temporary 10 or 30 day permit so you can drive it and get the bugs out it? When I lived in Washington, I took my car (from Wyoming) in for inspection without an appt and an hour later I was on the road. My how things have changed. Hang in there!!!

Travis

Back