C-6 to T-5 swap

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Explorer 8.8 is also 31 spline, most were limited slip, and 95 and later were disk brake.
EXACTLY!!!

Good info, thanks!
Great thread that I missed while I was on sabbatical. Thanks for pointing it out in a recent post Droptop!

My 302 FMX Mach 1 is getting this treatment as soon as the Q-code is on it's feet.
I think this is going to be the best modification yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
73, let me know if you prefer we not "dirty up your thread" with other stuff, but I did some research on the 8.8 and found this site:

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/Explorer8_8.html

It is geared (pun intended) towards off road, but still very informative regarding the 8.8 rear end.

I figured when I do the swap the 2.73 ratio has to go, the 8.8 for about $400 would be the way to go.

All these discussions are good. We may as well talk tech since I have a kitchen to finish and it's too cold in the garage anyways. An 8.8 swap is next on the agenda.

There is some good 8.8 modification info on this thread on a tri 5 site.

http://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21538&highlight=8.8

Post #4 is particularly good.
Dumb question but what is the stock width of a 9 inch in our cars vs the 8.8? Would the offset mods be necessary in our cars?

All these discussions are good. We may as well talk tech since I have a kitchen to finish and it's too cold in the garage anyways. An 8.8 swap is next on the agenda.

There is some good 8.8 modification info on this thread on a tri 5 site.

http://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21538&highlight=8.8

Post #4 is particularly good.
Dumb question but what is the stock width of a 9 inch in our cars vs the 8.8? Would the offset mods be necessary in our cars?
I have an 8.8 in my mach 1 for about 3 years now or so and havent had any issues at all with it. I left the offset alone and had my driveshaft modified to fit the length. The only thing i did was weld the axle tubes to the housing for strength. Also tube diameter is different then our 9 inch. I had the driveshaft shop that modified my driveshaft make me up some new u bolts and i cut my shock mount/spring plates up and weled up some new ones to fit the new diameter axle tubes and drilled new holes. The spring perches i bought from summit and welded them on. Overall pretty easy install. For the parking brake, i took the drum brakes apart on the 9 inch and took out the little arm that the parking brake attaches to and cut it off and welded it to the parking brake arm on the new 8.8. Now your stock cable will work and you have a working parking brake. let me know if you have any other questions i might be able to answer some of them. Everyone will go about it differently but thats how i did it. Good luck. Kevin

Well I figured I better dig this thread up again. I posted this a few minutes ago in response to another thread and figured I better put it here.

The 5-speed swap is well under way. The trans is in (and out several times) and clutch linkage is in progress. The clutch pedal is in and the brake pedal is cut and the pads and trim installed. I just ordered some rod ends and spherical bearings for the "Z" bar. Slow progress but progress none the less.

I'll post some new photos when I get the chance. Unless you just want to look at the old ones. :D

Hey Jeff I don't know if you covered this but what are you going to do for a speedo. I don't know much about t-5s do they have mechanical or electronic speedos. Nice work by the way and yes I would like to see some pics.

I made sure the trans is a pre 96. In 96 the Mustang went from a cable drive to an electronic. The stock speedo cable should work, I'll need to change the gear on the cable once everything in the driveline is done being changed to get the speedo to read closely.

Hey Kevin is the extra width of the 8.8 axle an issue?
I didn't have any trouble with the width at all. Just make sure you get the proper back spacing when ordering your rims. or it might look a little funny. mine turned out pretty good.

Posted by droptop73 - 03-04-2012 11:59 PM

Well I figured I better dig this thread up again. I posted this a few minutes ago in response to another thread and figured I better put it here.

The 5-speed swap is well under way. The trans is in (and out several times) and clutch linkage is in progress. The clutch pedal is in and the brake pedal is cut and the pads and trim installed. I just ordered some rod ends and spherical bearings for the "Z" bar. Slow progress but progress none the less.

I'll post some new photos when I get the chance. Unless you just want to look at the old ones.
Good job on the progress. This is definitely something in my mach's future.

Kevin

I got a little more work done on the trans swap. I cut the access hole in the bellhousing for the release lever and reinstalled the brake pedal. I worked on the frame and bellhousing brackets for the "Z" bar and started to layout where the linkage will run. All in all things are going together nicely.

Thanks Kevin, I think this is going to be worth it! :D

Hey Jeff I don't know if you covered this but what are you going to do for a speedo. I don't know much about t-5s do they have mechanical or electronic speedos. Nice work by the way and yes I would like to see some pics.
Man I just had to keep reading, because after the first line I had a visual of where this was going and it was not pretty

fatguy_speedo.jpg

Man I just had to keep reading, because after the first line I had a visual of where this was going and it was not pretty
I should have seen this one coming. Two automotive words that shouldn't be shortened are speedometer and transmission.

I should have seen this one coming. Two automotive words that shouldn't be shortened are speedometer and transmission.
:whistling: lollerz

Back