Call me crazy?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Detector

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1 Q Code
1995 GT Convertible
I've always liked the body style of the bigger 1971-1973 mustang. I sold a 1964 1/2 convertible to buy my current 1973 Mach 1. The people I had bought the 64 1/2 convertible from had 9 mustangs they were selling which one was a 1967 fastback C code with a new paint job. O shot them an offer of $6,500 before I found my 73 Mach 1. They called me yesterday and told me they would except my offer of $6,500 on the 67 fastback. Really great price, and I thought about it all day long, but came to the conclusion I wouldn't trade my 73 Mach for the 67 fastback even though it is in much better condition.

Does that make me crazy?

I've always liked the body style of the bigger 1971-1973 mustang. I sold a 1964 1/2 convertible to buy my current 1973 Mach 1. The people I had bought the 64 1/2 convertible from had 9 mustangs they were selling which one was a 1967 fastback C code with a new paint job. O shot them an offer of $6,500 before I found my 73 Mach 1. They called me yesterday and told me they would except my offer of $6,500 on the 67 fastback. Really great price, and I thought about it all day long, but came to the conclusion I wouldn't trade my 73 Mach for the 67 fastback even though it is in much better condition.

Does that make me crazy?
No shame in that! 71-73 are my favorite also! Second favorite is 69-70. After that, 74 and up...the haters can keep the earlies as far as I'm concerned! LOL

+2 on not giving upwhat you like for what the majority of people likes... I always loved the 69-70 fastbacks, that was my dream since the idea of a mustang came into my head... When i start learning a bit more, some years ago... the 67-68 fastback was like a dream car, because of the movies and that stuff... Then i bought a couple of 66 hardtops and started dreaming about a 66 fastback all the way...

Some time ago i was about to take a loan in the bank (actually true) to buy some guy´s 69 fastback in good original condition... My dream was almost going into real eventhough, i was going to put myself into a big financial trouble for afew years... Finally the owner regretted of sell the car and i felt relieved in a way... That was when i found my 72... My always wanted fastback was quickly and painless in my garagge!!... I felt in love notonly with the car itself but with the fact that i was going to be able to fix it myself and drive arround without thinking about finishing the car with a big invest, drive it 100 miles and must sell right away...

Since my car is done and it is for sure the best classic mustang arround here... not formy work on it but for the originality of the car, never accidented etc etc, i have had 2 tempted offers...

A friend of mine bought in the USA a 1970 mach 1 351C in very good shape... the imported the car and some time ago he propposed a trade for my 72... I thought about it but just the feeling of lettingmy car go for another "prettier" made me sick... I felt in love with the fact that my stang BELONGS to me inch by inch... i actually know my car all the way and i love that fact... I said no to the Mach 1... Something similar happened with a chinesse guy that works in an embassy here that has a 1968 fastback... recently painted in blackand bla bla... Pretty nice ride but... i just dont feel like giving up the car i felt in love with that easy...

Bottom line... Enjoy what you love and yeah... a 67 is nice, but your 73 is YOURS :)

Not crazy one bit! Since the re-make of Gone in 60 seconds, who doesn't have a 67/68!?!?! Oh yea, those of us that remember the ORIGINAL movie had a '73 Mach 1! The only Ford Mustang in history to receive Star title credit in a movie. I love the re-make, but who knows what they could've done with the Mach if they had the special effects knowledge back in '74. As far as I'm concerned, be different! If ever given that same chance, I'd turn it down instantly! As much as I love ALL Mustangs, I can never part with my '71. I joke with friends of mine who squawk at the fact I have a '71, and tell them it's my "ugly duckling" with a face that only a mother can love :)

GOOD CHOICE MAN!!!

Most of us on this site are probably all a little crazy about our 71/73's! I know I am! I've been tempted to sell or trade it several times since I bought it in 1974, but have hung onto it all this time; so I'm terminal crazy.

Can't call you crazy for that, but try asking this same question on a none 7173Mustang site ;) I love all muscle cars and actually have other favorites other than our clydsdales. If someone tempted me to trade for the right Mopar...boiiiii I'd be in real trouble LOL!

Can't call you crazy for that, but try asking this same question on a none 7173Mustang site ;) I love all muscle cars and actually have other favorites other than our clydsdales. If someone tempted me to trade for the right Mopar...boiiiii I'd be in real trouble LOL!
I know it´s not gonna happen but I have to agree on the Mopar trade..... :blush:

Last edited by a moderator:
Something has been bothering me lately, and when I picked up the latest version of PHR I realized what it is. Most of the haters of the "big body" 'Stangs are the ones that love the earlier versions. I've even heard people talk trash about the '69 and '70 Mustangs because they aren't Iacocca's car.

After reading the new PHR, and looking at all the other muscle cars in there from Chebby and Chrysler, I realized that the problem people have with "our" cars is that they say Mustang on the side (or back). The 71-73's look way better than most of the other muscle cars that were their contemporaries. In fact, I'd go so far to say that if the name on the car was different, they would have been one of the most popular of the late '60s-early '70s cars. I really believe that. How can a person not like the low, sleek look? I think it looks better than the Javelin, Camaro, or Chevelle of the same vintage. Way better, in fact. Not that the other cars aren't cool, but I think they all had something that detracted from the car as a whole.

Speaking of Iacocca, in his infinite wisdom he brought us the least popular Ford pony car, the Mustang II. Now I know that quite a few people on here like the Mustang II, but I think the biggest reason people hated them was because they dropped the V8 offering in '74. I know why they pared back the engines, but that still is a historic travesty. Even if it wasn't going to win any drag races, dropping the 302 was a bad idea.

Opinions?

I know it´s not gonna happen but I have to agree on the Mopar trade..... :blush:
Depends on the Mopar...convertible '70 'Cuda with the 440 Six Pak? Hands down.

71ln41.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with you Steve. I think the 71-73's are the coolest cars from the late 60's to early 70's. Even looks better than the Cuda you've pictured, however, the Cuda is definitely worth more from a collector's standpoint.

I agree with you Steve. I think the 71-73's are the coolest cars from the late 60's to early 70's. Even looks better than the Cuda you've pictured, however, the Cuda is definitely worth more from a collector's standpoint.
Yup, that's why I would trade it although it'd be tough to do. I'm not a big Mopar fan but the '70 'Cuda vert 440/6 is worth huge money.

I struggle to understand the love affair with the 60's and 70's Mopars. They did have some sexy designs but their build quality was HORRIBLE, probably the worst of any manufacturer of the era. Yeah yeah HEMI can you say overrated. Nuff said.

I struggle to understand the love affair with the 60's and 70's Mopars. They did have some sexy designs but their build quality was HORRIBLE, probably the worst of any manufacturer of the era. Yeah yeah HEMI can you say overrated. Nuff said.
LOL, Jeff there's a lot of truth to that statement. And nobody every mentions the fact that the Boss 429 was a hemi-head design as well.

Back