Carb issues

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waterlife

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Convertible
So i took my 73 out today, put fresh gas and 2 new fuel filters. Drove 1st time beautiful,  2nd time, 4 hrs later, ran great until i got home, barely  got into garage. Seems carb is wet on the outside and heard some noises from the carb??? Pulled air cleaner off and gass was dumping into carb with engine off, wtf??

When you installed the new filters you likely dislodged some debris that got into the float needle, holding it open, and allowing a continuous flow of fuel into the carburetor.

You can try the old fix it trick of tapping on the carburetor near the fuel line connection, see if that frees up the needle. I have actually known that to work, just not often. If you have a Ford, Summit, or Edelbrock carburetor you'll have to pull the top off to access the float needle(s), if it's a Holley you'll need to pull the bowls.

Last edited by a moderator:
I beat it with a hammer, started and idled, shut off fine. I have a rebuild kit here, just its missing the accelerator pump and float

Could be debris, or it could be shellac from the gas.  The new gas blends tend to not be carburetor friendly.  They are fine for the pressurized fuel injection systems that don't allow evaporation.  In a carb, with atmospheric vents, the fuel evaporates and leaves a varnish behind. This can be detrimental to the float and needle/seat combination causing them to become stuck open and giving the result you have.  The worst are when people have this happen and the carb/engine catch fire from the overflowing fuel and burn your hood after a lengthy restoration.  I have had a friend from work have that happen to their classic.  At least that was a Camaro!   lollerz

Anyway, you might try Seafoam as a good cleaner and be sure to store it with Stabil or something else when storing over the winter.

kcmash

The tank was empty  when i got the car.  I put fresh gas and 2 fuel filters. I use marvel mystery oil and anti- alcohol  in the gas. 

If I pull the top of carb, will there be debris  in the bowl? :feedback:

There is a good chance that there will be. Even though the tank had been drained, unless they blew out the lines, fuel would have dried in the fuel lines. There might also be rust in the lines. I would take the filters off and drain them, out of the inlet, into a container, see what you flushed out of the tank and lines when you started it.

I used see thru filters,  look fairly clean still. PO pulled the screw in filter and placed a threaded pipe into the carb, using 2 filters, 1 by tank and 1 in front of pump

What am I to expect if I pull the top of carb off? Is there something else I should do while its off?

I would put a kit in it, clean everything, blow out all of the passages. New float needle valve, new power valve, new accelerator pump diaphragm. Did I mention clean it? Can't emphasize clean enough. Get a bucket of carburetor cleaner at a parts store and soak all of the metal parts. Use spray cleaner to blow out the passages, then air to blow all of it dry. Make sure the throttle plate shaft doesn't have a lot of play in it. Too much play in it equals an air leak.

https://www.autozone.com/fuel-and-engine-cleaners-additives/carburetor-cleaner/berryman-carburetor-cleaner/139313_0_0

https://www.autozone.com/fuel-and-engine-cleaners-additives/carburetor-cleaner/berryman-b-12-carburetor-choke-and-throttle-body-cleaner/525295_0_0

Ok , so I got up enough courage and pulled/rebuilt carb. I was expecting more junk inside bowl, just some dirt.replaced / cleaned all, re-installed, seem to be running better, no gas spitting out of top, will take it out tomorrow, hopefully

Back