Chip Foose

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The problem is: I like the '71-'73s pretty much the way are - most other interpretations wind up lost on me - or at least having a few things I like, but some big things changed that I just can't get past. for example, The Pegasus: I love the side cut-outs, the paint, tucked bumpers, and I could almost get myself to like the 20s... but that's it for me. I hate the nose treatment mostly because those headlights just suck (otherwise, it's fine), don't care at all for the rear-end (again, can't stand the taillights, but the rest is fine), and the wanna-be notchback doesn't do it for me, either. Not a fan of the dashboard, either. I do recognize the work involved, and the quality of the build... just not the direction it went.

That's what happens when I look at most of Foose's cars. I think overall, "Wow! That's pretty cool... but why'd he do this, or that, etc.?"

"Art" truly is in the eye of the beholder, because I know so many more people love his vision and eat up the things he creates... and that's cool. I just know what I like and it's usually not what everybody else goes for.

I can't help but think of how cool of an idea he came up with for the '70 quarters, though. I wouldn't have had to ditch my original 15x10 Cragar S/S's for some less deep/more backspaced wheels if I'd thought of that myself. That is some pretty awesome innovation.

f3184f605a68349dccc5f122e2f46177.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guys I did some searching and found this rendering, apparently this maybe what we end up with

Nice. Looks like the wheels are going to be a filled in 5 spoke. Kinda like magnum 500 meets salt flat. Hope he picks a primary colour though. Love pewter / silvers but it would be cool if he took a real chance with it. I always like it when the colour hits you. He couldn't make more changes to the car for all the swapping and yet very clean 71-73. Something for everyone. Thanks for finding that Chopper. It was knawing at me to get a glimps of his idea

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice drawing... but... well, if he wanted a '70 with a '71 nose, why not just graft a front clip onto a '70 then? :whistling: Seriously, that profile screams '69-'70... not so much '71-'73.

IMHO - proportionally, if that's supposed to be a '71, then Chip Foose kinda sucks at drawing cars (or at least '71-'73 Mustangs, anyway). ;)

All kidding aside, he is a good artist... but is anybody else having a tough time thinking of that as a '71-'73? :huh:

Nice drawing... but... well, if he wanted a '70 with a '71 nose, why not just graft a front clip onto a '70 then? :whistling: Seriously, that profile screams '69-'70... not so much '71-'73.

IMHO - proportionally, if that's supposed to be a '71, then Chip Foose kinda sucks at drawing cars (or at least '71-'73 Mustangs, anyway). ;)

All kidding aside, he is a good artist... but is anybody else having a tough time thinking of that as a '71-'73? :huh:
Proportions on his renderings always have more "t-shirt print" effect to them than the finished car. I kinda agree with you on it looking 70 ish. I will have to wait to see the finished product

Nice. Looks like the wheels are going to be a filled in 5 spoke. Kinda like magnum 500 meets salt flat. Hope he picks a primary colour though. Love pewter / silvers but it would be cool if he took a real chance with it. I always like it when the colour hits you. He couldn't make more changes to the car for all the swapping and yet very clean 71-73. Something for everyone. Thanks for finding that Chopper. It was knawing at me to get a glimps of his idea

I'll try find a better quality image

cfcb34fa642e715f819e0ed47bfa7956.png

This should be better

Reminds me of the bulging front ends found on the current 2015 up Mustangs. Not my fave, but overall the car looks nice. I believe he is an awesome talent at his craft, even though I prefer the original look...

Last edited:
With the clearer pic it looks like he's paying homage to the Pantera wheel. Why not. Good looking wheel. It also looks like he's going with chrome fender brows to tie into the bumper. It appears he drew the fastback roof more like a 70 and not as flat as a 71. I'm pretty sure he didn't go and change that whole body line on the build. It looked like the quarters were the extent of the 70 influence. At least I hope. The flatback is my absolute favourite thing about this body style over all the others. I don't see a side mirror. Maybe driving gets side only?

94648c900c087bf829d9714774c2975f.jpg

I just saw a pic from Foose garage with the coyote engine and trans fitted into the Frankenmach....That is my name that I gave it. If this was my car, I would have tracked down a 2013 GT500 5.8L supercharged engine and dropped it in. But my car is a "Q" code 351CJ car.

I am so interested in this build he is doing. I wish I had more pics of how they did the grafting of the 1971 to the 2010. I want to see if any stretching had to be done to any part of the 2010 floor or frame to match the 71 body. I know there is a 2" wheel base difference to the two cars but how did that get rectified? And I also see he has the electric steering rack installed too. The 2010 interior is going to be fitted to the 71. It is going to look amazing.

I don't see any image. Can you reload it?

a7927f96f1a1c4cdea02e35ea64e2c2c.jpg

429a0366516893680ab945f22de16acd.jpg

Wow. Messing with the wheel base. Not my cup of tea. Glad it's in Foose's hands.

I researched that the 2010 had a 109" wheel base and the stock 71 has a 107" wheel base. I was wondering where the issue was going to be with the extra 2". But if you look at where the issue is, it is just modifying the front fender a bit. I wonder how the hood is going to mount on the car. Two totally different hinge systems from the 71 to the 2010

I researched that the 2010 had a 109" wheel base and the stock 71 has a 107" wheel base. I was wondering where the issue was going to be with the extra 2". But if you look at where the issue is, it is just modifying the front fender a bit. I wonder how the hood is going to mount on the car. Two totally different hinge systems from the 71 to the 2010

it seems by reading the Chips post that they moved it 5"? 

Back