Chip Foose

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK - that was nicely done.  ::thumb::

I've never doubted his ability to tie up the loose-ends and get the little things like this right, but I'm still not optimistic he'll get the rear end squared away without looking completely out of place.  We'll see soon enough, I guess.

Those door handles still suck, though.

Thanks again for sharing these, Chopper.  ::thumb::

That's a pretty sharp top line. Lots of levels and curves. I don't feel one way or the other about it. I'm just going to watch and learn. I personally never found the door handles to be unattractive

OK - that was nicely done.  ::thumb::

I've never doubted his ability to tie up the loose-ends and get the little things like this right, but I'm still not optimistic he'll get the rear end squared away without looking completely out of place.  We'll see soon enough, I guess.

Those door handles still suck, though.

Thanks again for sharing these, Chopper.  ::thumb::
With those quarters there is plenty of room for power windows

You know that by the time he is done with it everyone of yall will be drooling.. Even over those door handles. Haha! That thing is going to be bad! And by bad I mean AWESOME!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it'll be cool when he gets done, but just like with the Pegasus that everybody 'drools over,' there are still some things I don't like.  On this one, I think it'll be the door handles, interior, and probably the taillight panel area, but I'm not writing it all off or anything.  Foose does do good work, after all, and this will also likely bring some more attention and maybe even some 'love' to our model years.

I think it'll be cool when he gets done, but just like with the Pegasus that everybody 'drools over,' there are still some things I don't like.  On this one, I think it'll be the door handles, interior, and probably the taillight panel area, but I'm not writing it all off or anything.  Foose does do good work, after all, and this will also likely bring some more attention and maybe even some 'love' to our model years.
I personally don't drool over Pegasus. It's not that I hate it, it's just not my "taste". Still a great looking car and very well executed. I can't wait to see what Chip does with the interior and taillight panel. 71-71 interior and taillights are just bad... I know this is kinda weird but I really want to see a well executed rear seat. Our back seats just seem blah.. an afterthought at best. IMHO

I think you nailed it with the thought about fitting one's taste - there's really no way to check-off every box for everybody. ::thumb::

As for the '71-'73 interior, I love it.  Especially, being 6'5" with 36" long legs - the '87-current Mustang interiors have the dashboard sloping downward toward the driver, rather than sloping downward away from the driver (which offers greater legroom).  My only gripe is having the radio and HVAC controls so far away - gotta actually lean forward to engage the controls... but I can live with that.

The newer interiors extend too far into the drivers' space, IMHO, limiting the market to under 6-footers, as a matter of comfort - they've gotten better, though.  I remember riding passenger seat in a '98 GT with my knees firmly against the dash, feet dangling an inch about the floor, and hating every minute of it (reminded me of flying Coach).

I had an '82 Mustang as my first car, and the dash dropped straight down, then away, which was livable, but my legs were pretty much right there - no stretching out for me.

The factory taillights aren't my favorite, that's for sure - but they at least fit the contours of the body... as in, they look like they at least 'belong' there, even though a better design (like the same year Cougar taillights for example) would've fit better, IMHO.   The trailing end of the '70 quarters on the '71, pushed out as wide as they are, look like a hot mess to me - nothing appears to line-up.  I see nothing but some odd-looking, out-of-place taillights going in there to detract from the already mangled body lines.  That's based purely on having the elements there to preserve, or at least still resemble, the '71-'73 taillight panel and lights.

I'm actually hoping to see some equal-length, parallel, vertical 3-bar taillights with divorced back-up lights - much like the '70 taillights - like they should've done from the factory... but who knows what's coming?

Keep in mind, these comments are my own opinions - I'm not claiming any high-ground or qualification to criticize Chip Foose or anybody's visions or the things they do.  I just know what I see, what I like & don't like, what I think might be coming next, and I do my best to respect everybody else's opinions even if I don't always agree with them.  Good discussion here, though. ::thumb::

2281fdf8a1f7b7491d1af3d5b4b8fb66.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll bet he's looking at that thinking, "Oh crap... now what do I do?"  lollerz

Brace yourselves... here it comes.  :whistling:

d62137c50554e6b600d9195e50ca7ea1.jpg

Who said cougar lights haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know, right?  :whistling:

Interesting.  There might be hope for this, after all.

I see he swiped Angelo's taillight panel recession idea as well.  Hey - our guy did it first.    ::thumb::

Then it appeared, before my eyes, yes I agree, Angelo is the man. Who would have thought that chip was watching our forum. Or maybe he was gonna do that all along, lol.

IMG_1181.PNGThis is an idea I had back in 2014 but I didn't go with it because even though it's very "SHELBY" like it still made the car too unrecognizable at a glance in my opinion. Going in that direction is hardly my brainstorm when Shelby was there to pave the way to killer mustangs. However,  I like the uniqueness of the 71 tail light. I'm very flattered with all your compliments. I think that tasteful mods on this body design kinda lead you down a pretty narrow path so I wouldn't say I was being copied as much as I'd say we had the same idea. However, even to share that with such a respected and accomplished builder is so cool. He can do this design and not be copying me at all but if 

He did it first, I'd definitively appear to be copying him lol. Glad that's not the case.

Back