code in trunk

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mach 1 Mustang (project)
93 Dodge Shadow (daily)
86 Buick Regal (2nd project)
I found a code in the trunk area where the weather strip for the trunk lid is.

DSC01436-2.jpg

DSC01434.jpg

DSC01432.jpg

The numbers are D1ZB6. Now my question is doesn't the 1 stand for 71? But my car is, Supposedly, a 73. It's quite a conundrum.

FYI: the first 5 of my vin are 3F05H.

Thanks for looking.

Jayson,

Keep in mind that many parts on the '71-'73 Mustangs had basic parts that originated in 1971 and remained the same through the three model years so that number is not unusual. If the part remained the same, it kept the same part number. Sometimes, there was a suffix added to show a later iteration but the basic part number remained the same.

Hope this helps!

BT

Jayson,

Keep in mind that many parts on the '71-'73 Mustangs had basic parts that originated in 1971 and remained the same through the three model years so that number is not unusual. If the part remained the same, it kept the same part number. Sometimes, there was a suffix added to show a later iteration but the basic part number remained the same.

Hope this helps!

BT
100% correct.

Ok thanks guys that's what I figured but it just a surprised when I saw it. Now that I've found that one I've started to see more and more D1 stuff like my gauges and tail lights.

Ok thanks guys that's what I figured but it just a surprised when I saw it. Now that I've found that one I've started to see more and more D1 stuff like my gauges and tail lights.
Just so you don't find a 71 VIN under the fenders! :D

Don,

Did you happen to see the post I put in about the motor I found in my car? It was a 400 FMX that supposedley was only cast in 73 with block motor mount bosses for a M400 or 351C and in the rear of the block had bosses for FMX or C6. Block# was D1AE-6015-A2C

Just so you don't find a 71 VIN under the fenders! :D
Yeah I'm not sure what I would do if that happened. From what I can tell it was originally yellow so that might by a clue to its past. A yellow 71 made to look like a 73, wink wink.

Don,

Did you happen to see the post I put in about the motor I found in my car? It was a 400 FMX that supposedley was only cast in 73 with block motor mount bosses for a M400 or 351C and in the rear of the block had bosses for FMX or C6. Block# was D1AE-6015-A2C
I saw that it was a pretty interesting thread. I honestly never heard of that block before.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don,

I did see that one. I was left dumbfounded. Very unusual...extremely unusual actually.

Back