connections to fuel gauge

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach 1 in the 7th year of rebuilding.
Hi all,

I am completing the electrics to my dash equipment and have ordered a new voltage regulator ( cvu) Does it matter which side of the gauge gets the feed and which gets the wire to the sending unit.

Also ,is the sending unit polarity conscious.

I get a bit paranoid when it comes to working with the fuel equipment.

John H

Hi all,

I am completing the electrics to my dash equipment and have ordered a new voltage regulator ( cvu) Does it matter which side of the gauge gets the feed and which gets the wire to the sending unit.

John H
Yes, it does matter. However, the two connection points are different (male female) so it can only be connected one way. Chuck

Hi Chuck,

Thanks for your reply,but I am ok with the CVU .

When I fit the wire from the output of the CVU (5 volts) Does it matter which terminal I use (left or right) on the gauge.I am not using the original PCB , I am wiring it,so I assume that the feed to the gauge from the voltage stabiliser would be on the left if you look at it from the front and the wire to the sender goes on the right hand side out to the fuel sending unit which is marked + & -

Confused? stick with me kid. LOL

John H

Hi all,

John H
Yes, it does matter. However, the two connection points are different (male female) so it can only be connected one way. Chuck

... I assume that the feed to the gauge from the voltage stabiliser would be on the left if you look at it from the front and the wire to the sender goes on the right hand side out to the fuel sending unit which is marked + & - ...
You are correct.

Voltage in from tach/clock/warning light side.

Voltage out to sending unit on speedometer side.

John, Remember, the electronics in these old cars are smoke operated. If you let the smoke out they quit working.:p Chuck

Over here we would call it "gas driven" but your gas and my gas are not the same thing.;)

Keep on truckin Chuck

John H

John, Remember, the electronics in these old cars are smoke operated. If you let the smoke out they quit working.:p Chuck

Back