Correct engine bay color

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darkhorse71

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Fastback
I'm fixing up the engine bay. What is the type of paint ford used? Was it semi-gloss? And if it is, what brand can paint would y'all suggest for it?

Thanks, Chaz

well... you are asking for an always controversial question! jeje...

Are you from USA? if you are, then you´re gonna have the answer fast and correct...

If you are not, like myself... everything depends on what kind of paint brands your place sells... We all know the correct colour is a black that is not totally "mate"... i dont know if in english mate is the same as here... i think so...

The problem i had with semigloss paints is that there´s nothing to asure you you brightness level is going to be the correct one... I´m from Uruguay and here in the third world, getting the latest technology on materials is not that easy so i really can´t tell you a fact in this matter...

What i´ve learned over the years and the restored cars is that:

1) the best finishing product i can get is PU, 2 components paint... It is the same autobright paint almost every car uses when the exterior colour is not metallic... It doesn´t need clear coat and yes.. basically is the same chemestry as the clear coat, only it is not clear, but coloured...

2) the closer to original i went was with a sinthethic, 1 component paint... 10 times cheaper than the PU but 20 times less resistant, however, the finishing was correct.

3) I acutally owned a 1966 mustang with the original engine bay paint in surprincingly good condition and that´s my point of comparation for this matter... The paint quality Ford used in the engine bays was the same as it was used on the exterior panels, only the color was in fact, a semigloss... What i can say is that paint looked really black, but with no shine at all... Easy to imagine but hard to accomplish as any paint turns grey when the bright is turned off...

Conclusion... My car has a slightly more brillant finish in the engine bay... it is a PU 2K paint in semigloss base. It is made as mate as it can be done with a semigloss base and still it is too bright. The colour is right and the dust of the daily use do the rest in order not to get awfull brightness there...

After i painted my engine bay i did some test in order to get a black mate, just like the finish you see on any black plastic... telephones and so... This is where i want to go with my next engine bay paint, actually it is going to be tested on a 350 SLC Mercedes Benz i own.. For me, it should be the best option for an engine bay and it should be the closer i can get in a mustang engine bay...

From now on, i´ll be using this PU 2K paint for the engine bay as it is the only paint that doesn´t get removed when petrol or break liquid leaks in it...

Hope it helps!!!

I'm in the process of cleaning up my engine bay and although the general consensus is to use satin black I noticed when I used rubbing compound to clean up around the intake vents that it was obviously a gloss black except in some areas the original primer shows as if it was never painted. So I'm not sure how to proceed with mine. I may do a couple of test spray areas near the original black to compare. Also note the supports from the shock tower back to the firewall are supposed to be Slope Grey.

Its just like the rest of the car. If you are not going for a concourse restoration, paint it what ever you like. Be it body color, flat, semi, or gloss. You are the only one that has to be happy with it.

I'm not doing Concours, but was curious if it was semi-gloss, or satin. I've tried two different brads of semi gloss, and one has a little more gloss than the other. I may try Satin on part of it and see how I like it.

The original was an epoxy based semi-gloss black. The old formulation of Krylon 1613 was very close. The newer formulation is a bit shinier but still not too bad. I've heard from some people Duplicolor engine black is close (DE 1635). I believe it is called Ford semi-gloss black engine paint.

Chuck

I'm fixing up the engine bay. What is the type of paint ford used? Was it semi-gloss? And if it is, what brand can paint would y'all suggest for it?

Thanks, Chaz
It's whatever you want it to be.

I use satin sheen black, the rustoleum brand is pretty much all I can get anymore. It's a touch glossier than I like. Krylon was my favorite but I can't find it. Here's a pic.

However as has been pointed out many times, I used the "wrong" Ford blue on my engine too! LOL :D

IMG_1156.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks, Chaz
It's whatever you want it to be.

I use satin sheen black, the rustoleum brand is pretty much all I can get anymore. It's a touch glossier than I like. Krylon was my favorite but I can't find it. Here's a pic.

However as has been pointed out many times, I used the "wrong" Ford blue on my engine too! LOL :D
Yep wrong blue, not even close to concourse correct like mine:angel: you know I followed the ford bible to a T

Back