Custom Tail Lights

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Those of you who donated to the development of these should be receiving an invoice via paypal for the difference of the $250.00 and what you donated. I will be starting to make these as quickly as I can this week. Those of you who have emailed me directly will be next up as soon as the ones who donated/pre-ordered are all set. I will also be adding a page with a link to purchase these on my website soon.

Thanks everyone for your support and patience on this!

I will do my best to make them as quickly as I can!

This is great news! Are the LED board issues resolved? Do they sequence? Brakes vs. turn signals vs. backup? Do you have a video of them installed and in use? Looking forward to modding my Mach.
Sorry the LEDs aren't done yet, I injured my hand a few weeks ago and I haven't been able to work on them. I'll try to get an update for you guys this weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:
Update:

The last 2 weeks have been crazy for me. My wife's brother's x-wife had a kitchen fire and she moved in with us with my 2 nieces for a bit, so I had 4 kids under the age of 9 running around! Luckily they're out now and my life is getting back to normal :p

I officially started casting some lenses yesterday and will hopefully be rolling them out within the next week.

Thanks guys!

I think I'm going to work out a sequential turn signal.

but the main issue I can think of is how will the fixture distinguish between a brake signal or turn signal. its the same filament in the bulb ...MMMM

Finally making some progress here...

Here's a pic of my mad scientist tail light lab :p

4ane6e7a.jpg

Dude, that is SO cool! ::thumb::

Thanks for sticking with this, I can't wait! :udaman:

What about using "the mustang Project" leds and sequentials? They have tons. I originally was going to use the 66 tail panel to use their flat Shelby conversion.

http://www.mustangproject.com/ProductDisplay.aspx?ID=596dce98-16a5-4851-ba63-c2cfcf308af4
There are several good threads on this website about sequential tail lights. This thread will show you the sequential lights I decided to go with and why:

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-a-couple-of-sunday-morning-questions

Cheers,

John

however my sequential look like stock when not in operation, I felt I still need just that little more backlight to take away the ie mesmarizing affects as the drivers behind me look at them in awe-so to add an extra light on the rear for that spark that brings those drivers looking on: I INSTALLED AN LED BAR LIGHT ALSO RED THAT APPEARS UNDER COVER RE IMMEDIATLY ABOVE THE LICENSE PLATE WHICH WHEN I AM LOOKING AT THE SIGNALS DOING THEIR SEQUENTIAL THING UPON BRAKING- THE BAR LEDS REALLY STAND OUT THE SAME AS THE NEWER CARS DO WHEN THEIR LIGHT ON IE THEIR REAR DECK LID SPARKS UP PER SE WHEN THEIR BRAKES ARE APPLIED AND I DONT THINK THE DOT HAS ANY OBJECTIONS OF THEIR OPERATION BUT SINCE MY 72 IS LICENSED W/ANTIQUE PLATES THE AUTO ELECTRIC GARAGE APPROVED THEIR USE AS ALSO DOES NOT DETRACT FROM UNOBSTRUCTED VIEW OF READING THE LICENSE PLATE. CPY CAT/MIKKE

however my sequential look like stock when not in operation, I felt I still need just that little more backlight to take away the ie mesmarizing affects as the drivers behind me look at them in awe-so to add an extra light on the rear for that spark that brings those drivers looking on: I INSTALLED AN LED BAR LIGHT ALSO RED THAT APPEARS UNDER COVER RE IMMEDIATLY ABOVE THE LICENSE PLATE WHICH WHEN I AM LOOKING AT THE SIGNALS DOING THEIR SEQUENTIAL THING UPON BRAKING- THE BAR LEDS REALLY STAND OUT THE SAME AS THE NEWER CARS DO WHEN THEIR LIGHT ON IE THEIR REAR DECK LID SPARKS UP PER SE WHEN THEIR BRAKES ARE APPLIED AND I DONT THINK THE DOT HAS ANY OBJECTIONS OF THEIR OPERATION BUT SINCE MY 72 IS LICENSED W/ANTIQUE PLATES THE AUTO ELECTRIC GARAGE APPROVED THEIR USE AS ALSO DOES NOT DETRACT FROM UNOBSTRUCTED VIEW OF READING THE LICENSE PLATE. CPY CAT/MIKKE
Wow, great intel Mike! Can you attach pictures/videos and any other details on this. I did not think about this issue but it appears you really have it covered and in a cool way! :cool:

Thanks,

John

What about using "the mustang Project" leds and sequentials? They have tons. I originally was going to use the 66 tail panel to use their flat Shelby conversion.

http://www.mustangproject.com/ProductDisplay.aspx?ID=596dce98-16a5-4851-ba63-c2cfcf308af4
The problem with the Mustang Project's '71-'73 kits is that they don't provision the middle lens. It's a reflector, but will pass light... but it also has the clear/white reverse light smack in the middle of the lens - so a simple controller and bulb solution won't give the 'true' sequential effect, just the inner, then outer lens lighting in succession.

The system John posted up will offer a true sequential solution while providing the back-up lights in the correct position.

The original post of this thread was to highlight Obsidian's project for a completely different tail light solution, that would duplicate the look of the '13 Mustangs (lenses and all), while having sequential properties.

The problem with the Mustang Project's '71-'73 kits is that they don't provision the middle lens. It's a reflector, but will pass light... but it also has the clear/white reverse light smack in the middle of the lens - so a simple controller and bulb solution won't give the 'true' sequential effect, just the inner, then outer lens lighting in succession.

The system John posted up will offer a true sequential solution while providing the back-up lights in the correct position.

The original post of this thread was to highlight Obsidian's project for a completely different tail light solution, that would duplicate the look of the '13 Mustangs (lenses and all), while having sequential properties.

[/quot

Wasn't talking about using their 71-71 kit, just the guts of the other sequentials. Was only using that like as a reference point. I thought that was obvious.

Wasn't talking about using their 71-71 kit, just the guts of the other sequentials. Was only using that like as a reference point. I thought that was obvious.
No worries - I see that now. I guess I missed that part - thanks for the clarification. I wasn't trying to pick a fight or anything, either. :)

The overall custom lights Obsidian was making will have to use a custom panel and LED configuration to light up the 'outlines' with the parking lights and the brake/reverse light center sections. Otherwise, the 'outlines' will simply light up with the center sections, whether just parking lights are on, or while braking and/or reversing. In other words, the '13 functional 'look' would be lost with another kit inside.

I'm not saying that would be a bad effect either, since Scott - Qcode351mach - installed a set of lenses with just stock location bulbs and a red diffuser panel... and it looks pretty good, too.

I had actually thought of using an earlier model 3-bar kit for the center sections, and wiring in some of the light tube stuff JimNiki(?) used on his stock tail lights for the 'outlines' (stuffed 'em into the stock lenses around the outside and lit them separately from the bulbs). But, I'm thinking I'll just be patient and wait for TheJ and Obsidian to get their stuff together, since it'll be a matched pair.

Tail lights -LEDs.jpgWhite side and LED Brakes - 1024.jpgTail lights -LEDs.jpg

No worries - I see that now. I guess I missed that part - thanks for the clarification. I wasn't trying to pick a fight or anything, either. :)

The overall custom lights Obsidian was making will have to use a custom panel and LED configuration to light up the 'outlines' with the parking lights and the brake/reverse light center sections. Otherwise, the 'outlines' will simply light up with the center sections, whether just parking lights are on, or while braking and/or reversing. In other words, the '13 functional 'look' would be lost with another kit inside.

I'm not saying that would be a bad effect either, since Scott - Qcode351mach - installed a set of lenses with just stock location bulbs and a red diffuser panel... and it looks pretty good, too.

I had actually thought of using an earlier model 3-bar kit for the center sections, and wiring in some of the light tube stuff JimNiki(?) used on his stock tail lights for the 'outlines' (stuffed 'em into the stock lenses around the outside and lit them separately from the bulbs). But, I'm thinking I'll just be patient and wait for TheJ and Obsidian to get their stuff together, since it'll be a matched pair.

I used the sequentials from Mustangs North West and he has a full three sections of LEDs with just a small square for the reverse lights. They work and look great. I'll try to add a small video to show it.

These are the ones from MustangsNorthWest.org with 3 panel LEDs. They work and look great.

I used the sequentials from Mustangs North West and he has a full three sections of LEDs with just a small square for the reverse lights. They work and look great. I'll try to add a small video to show it.

These are the ones from MustangsNorthWest.org with 3 panel LEDs. They work and look great.
I can't wait to see the video! This is what I purchased as well and am waiting to get my car out of paint to install them. The company was great to work with and Larry Bush, the owner, is a great guy very willing to help. Even if he is an Oregon Duck fan!

Cheers,

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back