Custom Tail Lights

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Very cool DrDrew. As for my LEDs for these lens I hit a little delay with getting white LEDs for the reverse lights. I ordered some and they took quite a while to come and when they did they were the wrong ones, so I'm trying to find a different source for them. There may be a place locally that I can get some but I'll check for sure this week. I have not forgot about these and I thank you guys for your patience.

Drew, you have something crossed up with the turn signal circuit. Unless your video has an edit, and isn't a walk around... You have the driver's side rear signal going, then walk to the front and the passenger side signal is flashing...?

Drew, you have something crossed up with the turn signal circuit. Unless your video has an edit, and isn't a walk around... You have the driver's side rear signal going, then walk to the front and the passenger side signal is flashing...?

HaHa-- good catch. I did have to edit the video to get it small enough to post. The signals were actually working correctly. I started the video out showing the left rear turn signal, then went to the drivers door, pulled on the parking lights and switched to the right turn signal (which was the part that was edited out). Got the front view then walked down the passenger side and stopped the video when I got to the back. I am looking forward to seeing TheJ's setup with the sequential LEDs. I was going to try the dual row of LEDs around the edge of the lights but really like the way J's looks more like the '13-'14 tail lights. Dew

Very cool DrDrew. As for my LEDs for these lens I hit a little delay with getting white LEDs for the reverse lights. I ordered some and they took quite a while to come and when they did they were the wrong ones, so I'm trying to find a different source for them. There may be a place locally that I can get some but I'll check for sure this week. I have not forgot about these and I thank you guys for your patience.
Any new status between you and Obsidian? Do you think they'll be available for the start of this car show season? Thanks

Dew

Sorry guys for the late response, I was finally able to get some white LEDs that were up to my specs and I should have a prototype working fairly soon. Then I can contact a company, that my friend works for, that makes custom printed circuit boards and go from there. I greatly appreciate your guys patience, things have been kind of crazy for me lately but I have not forgot nor stopped working on these.

Thanks, J! I totally understand about the 'busy' stuff - it happens.

I can't wait for them as well - I already bought a set of lenses from Obsidian, but haven't received them yet... I hope he's doing OK.

All is well here. I've been really busy myself and have gotten a few questions about these via email recently as well. The biggest thing stopping me lately other than time has been the worst CT winter on recent record and been way too cold in my garage to do anything! The weather seems to be trying to break here lately so it won't be long now till I can get moving again on these. I actually have 6 pair molded and sitting in my work bench waiting for paint. Once these are done I plan to hopefully be on track to make a bunch more regularly as time and weather permits. Thanks to all for your patience!!! Many of you will be running these before the end of the upcoming show season :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup, I'm about to place my order. The AOD is working, the weather is getting better, all I need is the lenses. :)

A TON of hard work has been put into this project. Many kudos to all that have worked, helped (and funded) this very cool mod!

I almost want to put some in the Boss... ok maybe not but they are still WAY cool! :)

Ray

All is well here. I've been really busy myself and have gotten a few questions about these via email recently as well. The biggest thing stopping me lately other than time has been the worst CT winter on recent record and been way too cold in my garage to do anything! The weather seems to be trying to break here lately so it won't be long now till I can get moving again on these. I actually have 6 pair molded and sitting in my work bench waiting for paint. Once these are done I plan to hopefully be on track to make a bunch more regularly as time and weather permits. Thanks to all for your patience!!! Many of you will be running these before the end of the upcoming show season :)
Glad to hear things are OK with you - thanks for the update! The weather's been a beast this year, that's for sure. Things are relatively mild in West Texas (although we've had our share of cold days, too - single-digit & teens as well), but a smattering of 70s & 80s thrown in recently makes it easy to forget everybody to the north and east of us are getting clobbered.

Hang in there, Bro - when the 'global warming' quits falling, things should get better and it'll be nice weather again before you know it. ;) :D

Sorry guys for the late response, I was finally able to get some white LEDs that were up to my specs and I should have a prototype working fairly soon. Then I can contact a company, that my friend works for, that makes custom printed circuit boards and go from there. I greatly appreciate your guys patience, things have been kind of crazy for me lately but I have not forgot nor stopped working on these.
Question for you. Is this a two part process? We get the lenses from Obsedian and then the lights from you? If so, any idea what the two 'halves' will run? I'm eager to have a set for the Mach and maybe a second set for another 71. Let us know how things are coming along. Thanks guys.

Question for you. Is this a two part process? We get the lenses from Obsedian and then the lights from you? If so, any idea what the two 'halves' will run? I'm eager to have a set for the Mach and maybe a second set for another 71. Let us know how things are coming along. Thanks guys.
As of now it is a two part process. I'm not sure how much the LEDs are going to cost because I have to get a quote on custom boards when I'm finished with the prototype.

As of now it is a two part process. I'm not sure how much the LEDs are going to cost because I have to get a quote on custom boards when I'm finished with the prototype.

If you are looking for the boards for the housing, I don't kow if I had mention Larry Bush at mustangsnorthwest.org or not. He if a great guy that will be fair. He has some that have sequencers for the full trapezoid 71-73 Mustangs. He might be able to help.

If you are looking for the boards for the housing, I don't kow if I had mention Larry Bush at mustangsnorthwest.org or not. He if a great guy that will be fair. He has some that have sequencers for the full trapezoid 71-73 Mustangs. He might be able to help.
+1 Totally agree on Larry. I installed the sequential taillights and they are great. He was a great help and worked with me all through the process.

John

There have been some questions raised about supply and demand on these, and with that I'm curious to see what I'm really up against here. I know for sure that the first 9 sets are already accounted for based on donations received to aid in the initial cost of materials to make these. What I'd like to do is have anyone interested email me directly at [email protected] so I can start to get a feel for how many sets I'm going to be making. The price I finally came up with for a set will be $250.00 for the pair of lenses without the LED's. J will have to chime in on a final cost there when he's had chance to finish up a set and see what is involved. I'm guessing at this point that they'll be two separate purchases, one from me for the lenses and one from him for the LED's.

As shown here: http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-obsidian71-2013-tail-light-install you can see that using them without LED's is certainly possible.

Thanks for all the support and patience in these guys, hopefully this is the end of the road and I can start getting these made and on some cars! :)
Do you have sets any ready to go yet? I plan on using the LED boards, so any holes for regular bulbs would be unnecessary.

Thanks for your work and persistence.

Ok, the weather seams to have finally broken here in CT :) I'm hoping this week to have some time one night this week to get the sets I have accounted for painted and shipped out within the next 2-3 weeks. After that, I plan to post a link to an order form for these (which already exists, but isn't public yet) and hopefully if all goes as planned I can roll them out pretty regularly after that for a while. As for the price, they'll be $250/pr. for just the lenses. As for the LED's, you'll have to take that up with TheJ, lol! From what I've read here he has one of the same big hurdles as I've had recently...time. So, once again, thank you all for your continued patience with this project, hopefully within the next few weeks it'll all have been worth it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back