Custom Tail Lights

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Killer rendering (as always) of the back panel! While I am good on concepts and not so much on the actual build, 'conceptionally' I think a smoked black translucent panel with the LEDs underneath would be really sweet. And to somehow have that same panel's texture similar to the camera-case finish of the originals would be icing on the cake. A one-way black chrome mirror panel might be cool too...

While you lose the refelecting safety characteristics of the exposed reflective surfaces, you do gain much in actual appearance. The camera-case look would tend to dull-down the ability of the lighting to shine through. I remember a guy working with neon tubes that would really be sweet for your tail light project! Hmmm.

Ray

I'm thinking I would be interested (price not too outlandish, of course).

As far as cost goes, I plan to be nice ;) it'll all depend on how much I can get them made for. I sent some preliminary info to 4 local plastic manufacturers, only one has gotten Back to me so far. I'm going to send them some more specific information tonight. I'm also considering having just the lenses made in a way that stock buckets and bulbs can still be used to keep cost down (mine will still be LED of course ;)) I'll post any progress on this here.

I'd be interested in a pair you you make them. I was planning on retrofitting leds anyhow.

I'd be interested in a pair you you make them. I was planning on retrofitting leds anyhow.
Cool. The more people I get on board the better the chances are of them being made.
If you need any help with the leds let me know I've had some experience retrofitting them.

If the price is right and they are LED that will hook up to stock harness...I'M IN!!!

These could be used for the outter ring of LED's, and the just do a single led in the center for the backup lights.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5M-RGB-5050-MulitColor-SMD-Flexible-LED-Strip-300-Leds-Tracking-Number-/370617904234?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item564a8c6c6a

Or waterprrof ones likes these instead.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Waterproof-3528-White-300-Flexible-LED-Strip-Light-12V-Citipower-LED-Lamp-/320916423901?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ab81c04dd

Last edited by a moderator:
I sent some files to a plastics manufacturer the other day and they are reviewing the design in order to give me some options and ballpark pricing. Hopefully I can put a deal together with them!

I didn't forget about this, it's gonna happen whether I have them made or I make them myself. I had to make some changes to the file type for the manufacturer to give me an accurate quote because Blender is not a CAD program it's a 3D modeling program meant more for animation purposes. It proved to be a little more in depth than I thought to export the files from Blender into something they could use. Turns out I have to convert it across two other CAD programs to get to what I need.

The good news is that I just figured all that out and will hopefully have time in the next few days to finish tweaking it. Once it's set I'll send off the final design and hopefully get a favorable quote!

I'll keep you all posted :D

Yes, keep us updated. I'd be looking for two sets.... 71 Mach 1 and 71 sportsroof.

Thanks.

2 horses stop for water - 1024pixels.jpg

Good stuff.

It's not forgotten by any means, I've just had tons of stuff going on since the kids are out of school for the summer. Things should be leveling off soon though, so you guys will be hearing more on this soon!

Ok, so the initial quote for having these made was $300-$350 per lens!!! I don't know about you guys, but you won't catch me spending 700 bucks on just lenses!

So we're back to plan A, making them myself. I started tonight making the first stages of a plug for molding them out of clay. It's going to be a lengthy tedious process to make the mold right, but if I get it right, it should be pretty easy to make them from the mold.

Suggestions welcomed

0795d9bb.jpg

d7ba2bf7.jpg

4fe3401d.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back