Custom Tail Lights

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
oh, there are a lot more than one in this crowd!

Looking good. Will there be more red fleece or just the initial layer?
I did the fleece because it's nice and stretchy, and thicker than regular cotton t-shirt material, then I did a layer of fiberglass cloth over it. The fact that it was red was purely coincidental, it was the only sweatshirt I had to sacrifice ;) this piece is only going to be the plug for a mold I have to make for the real thing. I'll get this perfect, make a mold of it and get clear acrylic resin to pour into the mold for the final piece. The only issue I foresee at the moment is the size. Because these are scaled down significantly from the 2013's it's going to make it more difficult to do the red outline around each section, and will probably have to be a single strip between the sections as opposed to outlining each section individually. But that's still down the road a bit so stay tuned, I'll be back on this over the weekend.

I applaud your talents and effort!
Thanks!

I found a company online last night that I think will work nicely for making custom LED boards to go in these. I'm going to send them an email later today. :)
If you want I could make you some led arrays. I don't know what this company is going to quote you. You're going to need some pulse width modulators to get the running lights. Nice work by the way. Let me know.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's separated from the wood frame, added a bit of filler here and there, and a REALLY thick few coats of primer and it's ready to be blocked out and final shaped on the outside.

d6890de8.jpg

67bd4cd4.jpg

f41ac5b0.jpg

fb4c1be2.jpg

It's separated from the wood frame, added a bit of filler here and there, and a REALLY thick few coats of primer and it's ready to be blocked out and final shaped on the outside.
Looking good O !!

I'm thinking the quickest easiest way to make that part after your mold is complete..Vacuum forming with sheet plastic lexan..Theres lots of places that can do it..I had a friend who had a machine..He pulled lots of parts for me for my r/c airplanes

BTW I will take 2 sets when you get them done..If your short on funds whatever need help call me & I can finance

Last edited by a moderator:
I will soon post pics of my custom tail lights. I own a laser so its fairly easy for me to cust cut lenses and cut holes into acrylic for LEDs to be added in the back. The look Im going for this aluminum three sections. The lens itself is clear with chrome backing. Using Tri color high output LEDS. Stop and turn LEDs light red but back up makes all three lenses turn white. When stopping the two outside lenses stay solid red after an inital three flash warning .

The center turn lens cycles in three vertical sections:

>> top section (for right turn) the >> are cut into the acrylic making for a cool glow.

>> second row lights after first (.5 sec timing)

>> Third row lights after second and repeats to the top.

Im also custom adding a third stop LED lens into the top section of the rear window louver (mach1) and laser etched ever so discretely into the red frosted acrylic :

"Feeling lucky?, Get used to the view"

which will glow when the brakes are applied.

Holy crap! Last time I was on you were just playing with the idea through computer graphics, but you've really dug into this thing. Man, those look sweet! Now I truly realize how much I've missed internet access the past while. I'm pumped to see the finished project.

I've been trying to find some time to keep going but I started another new job last week and I haven't done much other than continue to sand the plug into final shape. I may be doing some more tonight, hopefully within the next week or 2 I'll be able to pull a mold from this and make the first one! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back