Custom Tail Lights

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Making progress. Hopefully this third one is the ticket.

Attempt 3 was just poured. I tried a completely different way this time so we'll see how it comes out. At this point either way it'll be the last attempt for a few days till I order more resin. I mixed up every last drop I had on the go around...

Stay tuned :)

Good luck! You certainly have a good product idea here, I can imagine these selling plenty seeing how there is no alternative for our tail lights. Keep up the good work! And I was wondering that as well, if you'd sell them all clear (raw) that way guys could put their own twist on them with body colour and stuff.

Attempt 3 was just poured. I tried a completely different way this time so we'll see how it comes out. At this point either way it'll be the last attempt for a few days till I order more resin. I mixed up every last drop I had on the go around...

Stay tuned :)
Looks good. Any word on the sequential portion of the project? This will look killer when you start seeing it on a bunch of our cars!

10 Oct 2013.jpg

Well, attempt 3 was definitely the best way, but as you can see I didn't have enough resin left for a full lens. At least there's progress. I need to order some more resin and give it another go.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365421172.582689.jpg

A few more tries and I should have it pretty close to a usable lens. Luckily the clear resin isn't nearly as expensive as the rubber for the mold!

As for whether I'll sell these raw or pre-painted, that'll all depend on what everyone wants. I'm sure I'll probably offer them both ways.

Well, attempt 3 was definitely the best way, but as you can see I didn't have enough resin left for a full lens. At least there's progress. I need to order some more resin and give it another go.

A few more tries and I should have it pretty close to a usable lens. Luckily the clear resin isn't nearly as expensive as the rubber for the mold!

As for whether I'll sell these raw or pre-painted, that'll all depend on what everyone wants. I'm sure I'll probably offer them both ways.
Now that is much better! It is getting there.

Ok, here's the deal...

I simply cannot afford some of the final stages of this on my own, I need to get some materials, TheJ is working on LED boards to make these function just like the 2013's, and I'm very much considering outsourcing as mentioned previously because I want these to be perfect and I'm only about 85% happy with what I've got so far. I thought long and hard and hate to ask, but I've placed a PayPal donations link on my website. I know there are at least a few of you out there who would like to see these become reality, so if you would consider throwing a few bucks at this, I'm confident we can make it happen. Also understand that by doing this I'll be able to keep the cost of these down up front as well. My goal is to make them equal to, or at least only minimally more than the current price of stock reproduction lenses.

Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Here is a link to the page on my site if you want to contribute: http://callahandesigns.weebly.com/custom-tail-lights.html

Thanks for your support!
I just threw twenty bucks your way. I probably won't buy the finished product, but this project is too fascinating not to contribute to! ::beer::

Wow, really looks good!

Good luck with the next try! I know you gotta lot of guys here crossing their fingers.

I believe you will have a very nice lens after this try, remember to write down exactly how much resin you use this time and the method of filling the mold, so there will be no more trial and error. cant wait to see it done! :)

would it help to fill the mold if you vibrated it during the fill process. I know some people that use an electric razor or other vibrating personal devices to vibrate the primer fillers and case feeders on reloading machines.

would it help to fill the mold if you vibrated it during the fill process. I know some people that use an electric razor or other vibrating personal devices to vibrate the primer fillers and case feeders on reloading machines.
"Other vibrating personal devices" huh??? ;)

I have thought of that for getting all the bubbles to rise to the top. Definitely something to keep in mind. Thanks!

Ok, frustration is really starting to set in. I made another attempt and it's still getting better each time, but I'm still having a few issues. The first is air bubbles, which in the big scheme of things is a pretty easy fix. I can try vibration to get them all to the top, or I can try to get a vacuum chamber to de-gas the resin before I pour it. The bigger issue I'm having is inconsistency in the thickness of the lens in certain areas based on the fact that the mold is flexible rubber and the 2 sides of it seem to mate up a little different each time because they're so large. I've come this far and I refuse to give up on this, but I think I may have to do a little bit more research again before moving forward. I'm certainly open to suggestions if anyone's got any. Thank you all for your continued interest and support with this project. :)

[attachment=15161]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back