Custom Tail Lights

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just watched one of those shows on how things were made and they showed plexiglass being warmed up and the placed on a die and vacuum formed to the mold.
+1 I was just about to say you can make your mold out of metal and use a release agent and heat to git-r-done

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm loving it. Still think a raw option would be good but can wait to see what you do with them. Have you tried installed one on your car yet?

I made an experimental modification last night to the mold to eliminate the thin spots I was getting and it seems to have worked great but still needs to be refined a bit for esthetic reasons. It's soooo close!

I made an experimental modification last night to the mold to eliminate the thin spots I was getting and it seems to have worked great but still needs to be refined a bit for esthetic reasons. It's soooo close!
Just for the record I am willing to come over there and drink your beer and second guess everything you have done if you think that will help.:p

Just for the record I am willing to come over there and drink your beer and second guess everything you have done if you think that will help.:p
Lol!

Would love this, let me know if you got it all figured out!

This is one of those threads where I started reading it and got really excited. Then I noticed that it was over a year old and I thought "oh no, is this one of those 'whatever happened to this project?' posts?"

I was so glad to find out it wasn't! Quite an amazing thing that's being accomplished here but I can't help but ask, why not just send the 3D model of the lens to a rapid prototype house and have them make it for you?

Either way, I'm incredibly curious to see how this turns out. 2013 tail lights are good looking, I had never imagined them on our cars! Amazing work, just amazing.

This is one of those threads where I started reading it and got really excited. Then I noticed that it was over a year old and I thought "oh no, is this one of those 'whatever happened to this project?' posts?"

I was so glad to find out it wasn't! Quite an amazing thing that's being accomplished here but I can't help but ask, why not just send the 3D model of the lens to a rapid prototype house and have them make it for you?

Either way, I'm incredibly curious to see how this turns out. 2013 tail lights are good looking, I had never imagined them on our cars! Amazing work, just amazing.
Thanks! I actually looked into having a rapid prototype house do them for me at one point but the cost was way more than I thought was reasonable. I don't want guys to have to spend 3-400 bucks on a pair of taillights. I know it's taking a long time to bring these to life but it will definitely happen, and sooner rather than later at this point. I know what needs to be done, I just needed a break and to see a little bit of progress on my car. With my shell almost in initial primer I should be back on this within the next week or 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back