Custom Tail Lights

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow! Great work, I'm very excited to see how they'll come out, I'd be interested in buying a pair.

Obsidian71,

Get prepared to do a set for all yrs of Mustangs!

No modded car will look right without them! LOL

Could offer to do other vehicles... WOW Congrats already! From Blender to this.

Ray

Last edited by a moderator:
OK...here's where I'm at.

I took a Volvo S60 tail light I had laying around and cut it up to use the diffuser pattern from the inside of it. I glued the pieces onto the backside so that when it's molded in clear resin it'll look like a modern tail light. I finally think I found some flexible LED strips that should work nicely so I can set these up like the 2013's where there is a red surround around each of the 3 sections, and the center will be red for running, stop, and turn, and white for backups.

E1A61047-4FFE-4C58-8F9D-E2D3AED09A89-3516-0000045BD5ECECFE.jpg

1A8F3F92-C04D-4428-8CE2-A1F6E37DDD8B-3516-0000045BDE7FF815.jpg

OK...here's where I'm at.

I took a Volvo S60 tail light I had laying around and cut it up to use the diffuser pattern from the inside of it. I glued the pieces onto the backside so that when it's molded in clear resin it'll look like a modern tail light. I finally think I found some flexible LED strips that should work nicely so I can set these up like the 2013's where there is a red surround around each of the 3 sections, and the center will be red for running, stop, and turn, and white for backups.

E1A61047-4FFE-4C58-8F9D-E2D3AED09A89-3516-0000045BD5ECECFE.jpg

1A8F3F92-C04D-4428-8CE2-A1F6E37DDD8B-3516-0000045BDE7FF815.jpg
It was going good till now..Not feeling the s60 diffuser pattern..JMHO

Just trying to keep them somewhat legal...I could always grind them back off very easily if the general consensus is to do so and just go straight red LED's behind clear lenses. I'm always open to suggestions. Personally, I kinda like the smoother look myself, but I thought a modern look would make them look a bit more "legal". However, two against + myself on the fence and I may just grind 'em off??? Anyone else for or against?

I'm not a fan on the dffusers. If you don't want to have just a clear lens try sandblasting the acrylic or whatever you're making the lens out of. It makes a cool iced look and will still allow light to pass through.

I can't get a complete idea until I see them lit up. What you've put together is intriguing. It may be totally outside of what would look cool on a Mach, but I'd like to see it nonetheless. I know it's a lot of work that might get sh**canned, but your idea is interesting. I'd like to see more.

I'm not a fan on the dffusers. If you don't want to have just a clear lens try sandblasting the acrylic or whatever you're making the lens out of. It makes a cool iced look and will still allow light to pass through.
Yes opaque would be cool since the LEDs are super bright.

I can't get a complete idea until I see them lit up. What you've put together is intriguing. It may be totally outside of what would look cool on a Mach, but I'd like to see it nonetheless. I know it's a lot of work that might get sh**canned, but your idea is interesting. I'd like to see more.
+1

Tough to tell without seeing them lit. Might just be we're having a tough time visualizing with the diffusers. (Blender might help?) And you might end up with different versions. ? Lots of work but will surely lead to a great final product/products.

Ray

I'm diggin' this idea!!! Definitely something to keep in mind.

Thanks! See, that's why constructive criticism is a good thing ;)

Here's a shot of a red chunk of Volvo lens aimed at a recessed halogen light in my ceiling:

9A93ACA5-CAB2-4556-8686-23C98019057D-4461-00000535B4C920C0.jpg

Here's a shot of a red chunk of Volvo lens aimed at a recessed halogen light in my ceiling:

Looks cool as heck. Again, I'd like to see more...

Image didn't come through here, although the link looks sound. Can you try it again?
It's working fine on my end Doc.

I think it looks good but I don't think it would on a 71-73 mustang, if that makes any sense.

It might work. But since Ford put the Toyota slants on the rear end of the mustang, I not sure they would even work due to the outboard angles. Check out Mustang Ricky's thread on the Shelby tail light panel in a 1971 Coupe. Man, that is nice. We need to ask him on how it was installed.

mustang7173

I would just go all red..& if you need a section clear for the back up lamp just do an insert of clear You could set it up so that section is already molded for the clear insert..

I have to say I am with the crowd on this one, no diffusor. If you want to use the clear plexi for back up lights i would sand it heavily to give it an opaque look like mentioned earlier. Overall looking really good.

I personally like the clear lenses with the red lens outline. The clear lens should defiantly be either frosted or smoked.

the rendering looks very cool man,

im keeping an eye on this,

i think they would look cool on mine...

DSC_0759.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back