Disc brake conversion options

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayro

Reaction score
My Car
73 mustang baby blue with clevo 351
Hey guys,

Finally doing it. Time to get rid of the front drum brakes. Looking at the easiest switch to fit disc fronts. Is the kit from Leeds the best/easiest option? Cost is just a killer to get them over to me in Australia. $500 aud postage but no other decent kit options available so I may go that path. Just seeing if there is another option to consider or just go the Leeds one.

Cheers
Jase

Are any of the XA, XB, XC disc brakes compatible with the Mustang suspension? Would they be easier to source in OZ?
Im told that they can fit but ive not been able to find a "kit" as such. Just think for ease for me to do the work a complete kit will be the best option.

I went with a "Baer Brakes" kit when I converted from factory 4 wheel drum to 4 wheel disc. It was a simple all incuded bolt on upgrade in one day. They offer various price and performance levels. There are various other manufacturers out there as well.

What you want is Mustang Steve!
https://mustangsteve.com/
I bought the front/rear combo. Pretty pricy and you will need new rims but it's worth it. You end up with S550 disk brakes.

Last edited:
When I did mine in 2010, I bought the SSBC front brake kit from NPD. It is a 4 piston Kelsey-Hayes style and fit 14" wheels. Very easy install and fit on existing spindles. HOWEVER, I don't know if they are still available as I heard SSBC had been bought out. I ran these brakes without a P booster for several years until I upgraded that too.
Might still be worth checking out.

Make certain your current drum brake Residual Pressure Check Valve is removed when you switch to drum brakes. See the attached file.

Attachments

• __When replacing front drum brakes with front disc units you do not want to go cheap.pdf
    216.6 KB · Views: 2
Jase,
I'm in Melbourne, Australia. I have a 72 Mach 1 that had factory drum brakes. I have completed the conversion on my car.
I used XF Flacon front callipers and spindles. I got them from a wrecker and cleaned them up, replaced the rubbers and away you go.
I also got a master cylinder / booster from Custom Mustangs - https://www.custommustangs.com.au/1967-1970-mustang-power-brake-conversion-manual-tr~511709
The booster is not the same size as factory but fits perfectly.
The factory brake pedal needs to be modified to move the pin lower to enable it to connect to the booster. I had a metal engineering company move the pin on the pedal.
New lines need to be made from the distribution block to the master Cylinder.
New brake lines are needed from the callipers to the body.
New disk rotors and brake pads will be needed.
I moved the mounting point of the brake line on the body behind the front wheels to enable the new rubber brake lines to be installed.
Need to drill out the 4 captive nuts in the firewall to enable the booster to be installed. The booster comes with nuts.

I took pics and made notes on my blog.
See here - https://72mach1mustang.blogspot.com/2021/12/brake-conversion-complete.html
and here - https://72mach1mustang.blogspot.com/2021/11/drum-to-disk-brake-conversion.html

All up I spent $1,713 (AUD) for parts. I did all the work myself apart from the welding of the pin on the break pedal.
This includes upper and lower control arms from Just Mustangs.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Last edited:
Per the pictures on my blog, I replaced the upper and lower control arms at the same time. This is not mandatory, but the ball joints were original 50 yr old ones. So opted to replace them while I was at it.

You could use reconditioned Mustang parts.
Mustang Steve is recycled Mustang parts. You upgrade to S550 brakes front and back if you like. He has options for electric park brake or manual.

Hey guys,

Finally doing it. Time to get rid of the front drum brakes. Looking at the easiest switch to fit disc fronts. Is the kit from Leeds the best/easiest option? Cost is just a killer to get them over to me in Australia. $500 aud postage but no other decent kit options available so I may go that path. Just seeing if there is another option to consider or just go the Leeds one.

Cheers
Jase
Jase
Have you looked at RRS out of Australia
I ordered them years ago but have not installed yet

One option may be an axle out of a 90s mustang. I have that on my 69 mustang. You get the OEM brakes and the 8.8" rear end.
I like that just for the fact that I can go into any parts store in the country and pick up pads/rotors/caliber rebuild parts. Versus if you go aftermarket, any replacement parts will be special order and generally several times the cost of OEM.

There are also kits out there which will allow you to convert your 71-73 over to use crown victoria rear disc brakes. Same benefits as the 90s cobra axle swap. Cheaper and more readily available spare parts, at least here in the US. No clue what sort of parts availability there is down under.

Tried to find more on your rear end swap. I am using a 99 Ford Explorer rear end into a 71 Mustang, questions is about the fit and your suggestions. This is just a daily driver. Questions link spring perches, Spring width, overall width fit and the clearance between the spring and calipers.
Suggestions helpful as well. Thanks in Advance

The Explorer swap seems to be a good way to go, some of the forum members have done it. The best posting/tutorial about it appears to no longer be available, after the server upgrade a couple of years ago. I believe the author of it was Turtle5353. Maybe he can repost it or you can PM him. It looks like the hardest part of it will be in relocating the spring perches.

The differential pinion/yoke on the 8.8 is offset 2" to the passenger (right) side.

The width between the wheel mounting surface is 59.5 inches, which is 1.75" narrower than your Mustang, which has a 61.25 inch mounting width.

The tube diameter on the Explorer axle will be 3.25", and going by memory the ones in 71-73 Mustangs is 2.75".

I believe that you'll also have to fabricate a bracket for the emergency brake cable and maybe modify the cable end.

EDIT: This video is for installation into a '68 Mustang, but the procedure is the same.
https://www.bing.com/videos/rivervi...6B453D3C49E95997F52B6B453D3C49E9599&FORM=VIRE

Last edited:
I used this kit for my front disc conversion. In the interest of being transparent, I bought from a mechanic friend for less than retail. Its for a 67 Mustang, but it bolted right up. I run aftermarket 15-inch aluminum slots, but these are supposed to fit stock wheels too.

Pirate Jack Kit

I only did the fronts, and chose to remain manual vs go power assist. I also had to source a few things myself:

There were a few things I still needed to address to complete the front conversion:
  • A disc/drum master cylinder. I got a 74 Maverick MC for a manual disc/drum car from Rock Auto (Not sure about your options in Australia)
  • I chose to keep the factory distribution valve to keep the plumbing simple.
For the rear:
  • A residual brake valve from Jegs for the rear drums
  • An adjustable proportioning valve, also from Jegs, also for the rear
I plumbed these two into the long brake line running under the floor pan. I spliced them in line, just where the pan bends up to make room for the rear axle. The prop valve instructions had me set right where I needed to be in terms of adjustment.

I am glad I did it, even with a manual brake setup - much better stopping action and easy to maintain. At some point I may go rear disc, but am willing to live with the rear drums for now.

Back