Dual voice speaker wiring

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

87fox72mach

Reaction score
My Car
1995 firebird rebuilt motor 5 spd dail driver
1987 grand wagoneer plow truck
1987 mustang lx 5.0 work custom engine bay and paint
1972 mach 1 project
Has anyone put a dual voice speaker up front.  I bought one and notice 2 speaker wired come out of it and original speaker only had one plug? Any help appreciated@

I have only used dual voice speakers that were subs. Basically there are just two coils that can be powered at the same time.

You can throw a bit more power at the speaker and get a bit more response and volume. It is not necessary to power both coils for the speaker to function.

The dual voice speaker uses to channels of your stereo period I left and a right front most likely. I have one ready to go in my front and have 2 left right door speakers but I haven't installed it yet.

The dual voice speaker uses to channels of your stereo period I left and a right front most likely. I have one ready to go in my front and have 2 left right door speakers but I haven't installed it yet.
::thumb::  I use this speaker from MU: 

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/Mustang/Ignition-Electrical/Stereos-Speakers-Sound/Speakers/Dash-Speakers/Dual-Voice-Dash-Speaker-1967-1973-Mustang-Cougar.axd
That's the one I got.  But how do u wire it ? Or do u just have to wire up one side of it

Dual voice speakers are so you can upgrade the dash mounted speaker to stereo. That way you get both left and right channels from the dash speaker, instead of just one channel. You can just wire up one side, but if you have upgraded to a stereo it probably won't sound very good just having one channel coming from there.

I have a factory am fm radio in the car

+ 1 to what Don said. I installed the Custom Autosound 140 wt dual voice speaker in the dash a couple of weeks ago. You need to have a radio that has wiring for stereo to use it properly as you are going to wire that speaker with both the left and right speaker wires. Not sure if that can be done with what you have or what it would sound like only connected on one side. I suppose you could splice the speaker wires and connect both sides from the mono source.

If its not crucial for you to have the stock radio, and you can afford it, the Customer Autosound slidebar radio is the really nice option. I basically copied Austin Vert's system with that radio, Polk Audio speakers and the dual voice in the dash and the sound is fantastic. Not audiophile fantastic but night and day better than stock.

Scott

The stock AM/FM radio has a square speaker plug with three wires and a solid rubber blank for the fourth slot. The three wires are door speaker left (orange with white hash marks) and right (Green with white hash marks) and common ground (Black). Then there is a two wire plug for power (white with a purple line) and the radio light (blue with a red line). Ground was the radio chassis bolted/clipped to dash. Although you can split them to wire a dual front speaker the original radio does not have that much amperage to power upgraded door and an additional dual dash speaker. The sound will be flat and rather weak so to speak. Just make sure you wire ground correctly and left/right correct so you don't reverse polarity and put them out of phase with each other.

Many years ago I had picked up an in-line speaker (post amp) 100 watt 5 band amplifier/equalizer that split two channels in to four with balance front/rear and left/right. It also has a stereo input jack to hook up a mp3 player (well back then a Sony Walkman). It is call a RoadMaster EA400N, if you can find one it maybe an option. The company is out of business. I shoved it up under the dash wired it up between the radio and the speakers and it certainly helped a lot to boost the old stock radio and provide four speaker balancing. That along with a antenna booster and a Bluetooth to FM transmitter..., it's a bit crude, but good enough for me and looks completely stock. Still it's nothing like a modern stereo or converting a stock by replacing the internals.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm simply just concerned about the dash speaker. My radio has the 2 plug power wire and the 3 plug wire. I can buy a single simple stock speaker. Which I have an original. But that only has a 2 plug connector. I just wanna know what I need to put the dash speaker in. No doors etc. I won't be looking for super quality. Just some sound. I like the look of the oem radio

I'm simply just concerned about the dash speaker.   My radio has the 2 plug power wire and the 3 plug wire.     I can buy a single simple stock speaker.  Which I have an original.   But that only has a 2 plug connector.    I just wanna know what I need to put the dash speaker in.    No doors etc.   I won't be looking for super  quality.   Just some sound.  I like the look of the oem radio
There are three types of speakers a single speaker like the original which is not stereo, and two types of modern speaker replacements 1. 5x7 Dual Voice Coil with a single mid range and 2. one with two small discrete speakers mounted in a 5x7 frame that will fit in the dash spot.   In my opinion the  Dual Voice Coil sounds better. Either of these replacement speakers can be wired to the three wire plug on your old AM/FM radio. You will have splice the plug wires or to keep the old plug in tact use three round push-in male connectors to connect them.

Look at the colors on the radio wires they should be as follows... speaker left (orange with white hash marks) and right (Green with white hash marks) and common ground (Black). The new dual speaker will have a positive and negative terminal on each side of it. Wire the negative from each side together to the common ground black wire on your radio plug, and then the positive left to the orange/white and the positive right to the green/white on your radio.

If you don't already have a stock dash speaker mount, you will need to get one (check eBay), or make your own to properly secure the speaker in the dash.

All the aftermarket suppliers offer them, for example....Dual Voice Coil Stereo Dash Speaker for 1967-1973 Mustang & Cougar. This remarkable speaker provides rich stereo sound in place of the OEM mono speaker. with 70% more cone area than conventional dual speakers, both stereo channels hook up directly to this one speaker. 80 watts peak power. 

This 5" x 7" speaker has overall dimensions of 5-1/2" x 7-1/2"

I hope that helped.

Thanks for the reply. Your post is very helpful. I have the speaker mount. Now I'm looking at the plug that comes off my radio. The 3 wire plug. 2 make studs and a female socket on the connector. My wire colors are white. Orange. And blue. I'm sure they r faded etc. I'm guessing white would be the ground ?

Ok believe it or not I found that harness I posted in a box of wiring I had. What's weird tho is that harness has 1 Orange. 1 white. And 2 black going into each peg on the connector. My radio side plug is blue Orange and white. Could blue be a ground?

Ok believe it or not I found that harness I posted in a box of wiring I had.  What's weird tho is that harness has 1 Orange.  1 white.  And 2 black going into each peg on the connector.   My radio side plug is blue Orange and white.     Could blue be a ground?
You're mixing up inputs and outputs.  The input side of the radio is blue/red (lamp power) and white/purple (fused power).  The outputs are orange and black to one side speaker and white and black to the other side speaker.  This output harness should plug into a 3 pin flat bullet connector that comes out of the radio (later changed to a square molded connector with only 3 pins.  The other plug (two pins) should be both male pins, also bullet-type.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok believe it or not I found that harness I posted in a box of wiring I had.  What's weird tho is that harness has 1 Orange.  1 white.  And 2 black going into each peg on the connector.   My radio side plug is blue Orange and white.     Could blue be a ground?
You're mixing up inputs and outputs.  The input side of the radio is blue/red (lamp power) and white/purple (fused power).  The outputs are orange and black to one side speaker and white and black to the other side speaker.  This output harness should plug into a 3 pin flat bullet connector that comes out of the radio (later changed to a square molded connector with only 3 pins.  The other plug (two pins) should be both male pins, also bullet-type.
Midlife is has it right, the orange (Left speaker) and white (right speaker) wires should have Light Green hash marks on them. The black ground wires from each door speaker connect in to a common ground wire in the plug leading to the radio. See diagram for the AM /FM radio below....

You can mimic this wiring scheme with a dual voice dash speaker.

I have the 2 prong connected properly. And I connected each speaker side to a side on the speaker. I get sound however not as loud as i was expecting. But pretty loud. I notice if I unhook one side of the speaker it's actually louder. I have all grounds hooked to negative. And Orange and white wire on positive. My radio also is finicky when turning it on. Have to turn it on and off via the volume knob multiple times to get sound to come out. I guess this is what a used 40 yr old radio gives ya!

Back