Floor pan question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RDM

Reaction score
My Car
Ford Mustang 1971 Coupé
Hey Guys,

Just started with the Mustang, found out I have a huge cowl leak which brings me to the following problem.

My right floorpan is quite rusty.

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

Now my question is, is it a problem there are rust holes that to into the inner floor frame rail? and the second question is the rust goes all the way underneath the seat platform.

What is the best way to approach this?

All help is appreciated!

Rowan

I would remove the seat box to determine how far that rust goes. You really need in that area to repair the rot. That will determine whether you just need a quarter replacement pan or whole floorpan. After you get that removed it will give you the room you need to repair the frame rail correctly. Good Luck

I would remove the seat box to determine how far that rust goes. You really need in that area to repair the rot. That will determine whether you just need a quarter replacement pan or whole floorpan. After you get that removed it will give you the room you need to repair the frame rail correctly. Good Luck
Is that a matter of just cutting the seat frame out? cause only the front is a little rusty, I thought I could just weld in some new steel on the front side and it would be as good as new...

Is there a smart and good way to remove the seat frame? Cut along the welding seams (google translator? :-/), cut parallel to the floor pan en try to get between de seat frame and floor pan?

Thx

Last edited by a moderator:
Back