Fold down "butterfly brackets" for trap door trunk stopper

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1998 Chevy Tahoe
1971 Ford Mustang Sportsroof
1969 Mercury Cougar
Hi,

I hope someone can help me:

I`m in the building process of the bodywork. Unfortunately, a long time ago the trunk floor already has been repaired but not all parts were "installed" again and now i cut out all and building all the sheet metal new. Hence my question, has anyone a original trunk floor with the "butterfly-brackets" for the rubber stopper for the trap door form the fold down option? If so, can someone please tell me all the dimension from the bracket (or detail pictures) so that i can reproduction this part?

All other parts from the fold down seats ar present and original to the car, but this bracket isn`t existing . Also i can`t find anyting about this part in the www (except the small picture from 429mustangcougarinfo).

Thanks alot for your help.

Best regards,

Orlando

View attachment DSC_2008_2.jpg

Trunk_Fold_Down.jpg

Hi,

I hope someone can help me:

I`m in the building process of the bodywork. Unfortunately, a long time ago the trunk floor already has been repaired but not all parts were "installed" again and now i cut out all and building all the sheet metal new. Hence my question, has anyone a original trunk floor with the "butterfly-brackets" for the rubber stopper for the trap door form the fold down option? If so, can someone please tell me all the dimension from the bracket (or detail pictures) so that i can reproduction this part?

All other parts from the fold down seats ar present and original to the car, but this bracket isn`t existing . Also i can`t find anyting about this part in the www (except the small picture from 429mustangcougarinfo).

Thanks alot for your help.

Best regards,

Orlando

If the picture showing the welding of the floor is yours you are missing the weld targets for the placement of the brackets also. There should have been formed beads in the floor that gave the welder a position to spot weld the brackets. What brand floor is that? I thought Dynacorn had the targets in them?

@ Fabrice: Awesome! Thanks for the pictures. How does look the part from the side, is it flat or is it bent and what`s the sheet thikness? Also how is attached the rubber buffer, does it have a cut-out in the sheet? Perhaps can you make please a picture from this? Many thanks!

@ Jeff73Mach1: Yes I`ve seen that the stopper is avaible as a repro. The bracket i`m make by myself, i`m not a fan of the repro parts especially form the sheet metal.

@ Carolina_Mountain_Mustang: Sorry the picture wasn`t very good. It`s a trunk floor from dynacorn or something similars, but it is the first and last repro sheet part which i bought. The fitment and the quality is not that what i`m looking for. I`m glad I have found the quarter panels, fenders, valance, taillightpanel and so on as NOS parts. The remaining parts I make by myself.

View attachment DSC_2015.JPG

Thanks.

Will do picts in a few...

Regarding these, unless you go for original look, they are of a pretty dumb design.

Instead, the rubbers should be on the trap door, the U's replaced by rubber of same height.

In original design, the rubbers receive the u, paralel to door on floor, allowing sidewards motion if

some relatively heavy item is placed on them, loosing the meaning of their design.

For mine, I will really not set them back, and because I don't plan carry stones in my car, no need for reinforcement on floor, just a reasonnable rubber surface area of contact.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a couple of the bumper brackets somewhere, will draw them up and run a bunch off in the near future. If someone wanted to save me the hassle of finding the brackets and send me one, I'll make you a new set gratis.

Here you go.

Height is from butterfly surface same as rubber first groove so it glides into it.

Thickness metal is +- 1mm
@Fabrice: Many thanks for your quick reply and the pictures ::thumb:: ! You`re right, the designe isn`t very good (also some other things about "sheet-construction" on the 71-73`s), but since the trunk is only for show so it fits for me.

Back