Got another problem 351c

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SOV25cj I got this car this pass summer rebuilt flood panels fix ram air I put all kinds of new things n this girl and had a lot of fun doing it and ill still have fun even if I have to put every thing new in the motor (except the block) and I mean everything ,but its yous guys at this site that really do all the head work for me,,

I just removed a petronix kit from the car i'm working on. I installed it last year works fine.  If you interested let me know. The distributor that its in wasn't advancing the timing. The vacuum diaphragm was bad so we upgraded to a duraspark ignition.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like you stayed with stock coil ,,,,,I got some more problems just found,,, look like a bolt is broke off in the exhaust manifold so I think ill go for a new cam ,lifters, T chain,, rebuild heads new dis,coil,ect... and carb

You had better make sure your cylinders, pistons, rings, and bearings are good before you put it back together after bumping up the performance, things that seem fine now have a habit of rapidly deteriorating when more power is applied to them. It's called project creep, one thing either leads to, or requires, something else.

Stanglover which Pertronixll should I get their a lot of different types one say's for ( Auto lite) it a stock distributor I got now
 Sorry for the delay getting back on this.

The Pertronix Ignitor II part # is 91281 for Ford V8 cyl. I don't have a part number, but the coil is a Flame-Thrower II at 45,000 volts. The P II is red whereas the original P I is black. Both will work fine. However, the P II should be run on a full 12V. I believe the  P I can run on resisted voltage, but check on that. Pertronix make a relay so you do not have to cut the pink resistor wire, merely bypass it. Makes for an easy install. Wish I'd known about that when I did mine! Do NOT buy the Pertronix Ignitor III, Good electronics, bad construction.

Is your points plate grounded!!! Small bare copper wire which you can just see in the pic. Very Important!

This is for the STOCK Autolite/motorcraft distributor.

You may, once you have found the real issue for why it won't run right, need to recurve that distributor for optimum timing. We can deal with that later.

Here's a pic of the P II. Sorry it's not a clear shot, but you can see what it looks like.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stanglover which Pertronixll should I get their a lot of different types one say's for ( Auto lite) it a stock distributor I got now
 Sorry for the delay getting back on this.

The Pertronix Ignitor II part # is 91281 for Ford V8 cyl. I don't have a part number, but the coil is a Flame-Thrower II at 45,000 volts. The P II is red whereas the original P I is black. Both will work fine. However, the P II should be run on a full 12V. I believe the  P I can run on resisted voltage, but check on that. Pertronix make a relay so you do not have to cut the pink resistor wire, merely bypass it. Makes for an easy install. Wish I'd known about that when I did mine! Do NOT buy the Pertronix Ignitor III, Good electronics, bad construction.

Is your points plate grounded!!! Small bare copper wire which you can just see in the pic. Very Important!

This is for the STOCK Autolite/motorcraft distributor.

You may, once you have found the real issue for why it won't run right, need to recurve that distributor for optimum timing. We can deal with that later.

Here's a pic of the P II. Sorry it's not a clear shot, but you can see what it looks like.

///////////Does it have to be adjusted??   ////////

You had better make sure your cylinders, pistons, rings, and bearings are good before you put it back together after bumping up the performance, things that seem fine now have a habit of rapidly deteriorating when more power is applied to them. It's called project creep, one thing either leads to, or requires, something else.
Don you wright about this so im going to change my thinking and probably do the whole engine ////////////////wow im going to build a engine all I want is a cam little bigger then stock and every thing else to match

Well I tore down the front and crank shaft mark to TDC distributor pointing at #1 carb shoots gas good (Yellow) color spark when grounding the #1 spark plug still can't get it started now I tried all day to get it running ,,I still don't want to give up on that this motor runs good????

Latest posts

Back