GREEN 72 FASTBACK (FORMER 429/460)

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No not yet..Close..I wasn't intending to do much work on this green one it was supposed to be was advertised as a you can drive anywhere car so I thought that was what I was buying..Not the case..On the plus side it was a very rust free car.
Out of curiosity, what was wrong with the Ford Racing 460 SCJ (M-6007, I believe?) crate motor?

-Kurt
Nothing..It was a 429/460 stroked to 531 non crate motor Kasse p-51 heads. Pushing close to 700hp..awsome motor if you like going fast in a straight line at the strip..Just wasn't fun enjoyable on the street..Plus the handling sucked to put it mildly..Way to much weight out front..The nose always felt like it was pushing..especially in the curves,,Just not a balanced package

Scott,

Amazing work as always, even though the car looked good I always figured you would take it to the next level....lol....now that the engine compartment's done, I'm sure that there's something else that will eat at you.

Cheers!

Any reason you went with the open chamber heads?
If built properly & shaved..they are just as good if not better than closed chamber heads..Plus I'm building more of a Faux 72 Q-code 351CJ Type Motor..Open chamber heads are what came on the 72-Q-code

If built properly & shaved..they are just as good if not better than closed chamber heads..Plus I'm building more of a Faux 72 Q-code 351CJ Type Motor..Open chamber heads are what came on the 72-Q-code
Very interesting! I have limited knowledge on engine building beyond the Thermodynamic reaction in the piston itself so my knowledge is limited. I've been reading the 351 Cleveland book and it made it seem as though the stock 2V open chamber heads were pretty much garbage. I'd be curious to know what the modifications you make are that help them perform better

Very interesting! I have limited knowledge on engine building beyond the Thermodynamic reaction in the piston itself so my knowledge is limited. I've been reading the 351 Cleveland book and it made it seem as though the stock 2V open chamber heads were pretty much garbage. I'd be curious to know what the modifications you make are that help them perform better
The 72 Q-code heads are 4v heads not 2v..The 2v heads are not garbage there's quite a few guys on the board who have used them with a 4v aftermarket intake (4v made to mate to 2v heads) cam.. with very good results..It all depends on what the intended purpose of the motor car is..Each has it's place..Read some of the stuff by George Pence..he goes into detail about the heads http://www.351c.net/archive/?page_id=268 Don also posted up some great stuff by George Pence on the 351c

It's actually quite simple to use the open chamber heads..It just takes good parts & attention to detail..I'm shooting for a static 10-5-1 compression ratio..We have match cc'd the chambers..Installed Manley severe duty one piece valves..3 angle valve job..all valve stem heights have been matched..milling the head to achieve the desired compression ratio..ford motorsport bolt in roller rockers..lunati springs matched to the installed valve height..3/8" pushrods..Keep in mind I'm building a motor with a wide power band in the 380-420 hp range..

The 72 Q-code heads are 4v heads not 2v..The 2v heads are not garbage there's quite a few guys on the board who have used them with a 4v aftermarket intake (4v made to mate to 2v heads) cam.. with very good results..It all depends on what the intended purpose of the motor car is..Each has it's place..Read some of the stuff by George Pence..he goes into detail about the heads http://www.351c.net/archive/?page_id=268 Don also posted up some great stuff by George Pence on the 351c

It's actually quite simple to use the open chamber heads..It just takes good parts & attention to detail..I'm shooting for a static 10-5-1 compression ratio..We have match cc'd the chambers..Installed Manley severe duty one piece valves..3 angle valve job..all valve stem heights have been matched..milling the head to achieve the desired compression ratio..ford motorsport bolt in roller rockers..lunati springs matched to the installed valve height..3/8" pushrods..Keep in mind I'm building a motor with a wide power band in the 380-420 hp range..
Sounds exactly like how I'd build it too. There is nothing wrong with using the open chamber heads vs closed chamber. I have both and at some point will be able to directly compare them engine to engine since I plan to build them both very similarly.

I like the way the rockers match the engine color. Someone needs to come out with some transparent valve covers so that we can show off those kinds of things!
They exist! I'm not sure necessarily for a 351c but theyre used in racing to be able to take a peek at the rockers without pulling the covers. i want a set. I'm so paranoid about my valvetrain...:dodgy:

Let us know how you like that QFT carb. I've been eyeing those, but they lack a ford kickdown.
Will do..I'm pretty sure there is a bolt on bracket you can get for the ford kickdown..Not an Issue here though, since I'm running the 4r70w

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys,

I have run a 650 cfm quick fuel carb on my cleveland in the Model A for many years. It made a drastic improvement over the holley avenger I had on it originally. Technical help is always only a phone call away with them.

I would recommend them !!!

Thanks, Jay

Back