Header Suggestion

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now I want to know for sure just how low "low" is. Tomorrow, I will put something rigid across the middle of the lift and get out the tape measure (pictures, of course). ::thumb::

Just for the record: This is how clean it looks with Hedman shorties and a stock repro exhaust for a 351. The mufflers are Edelbrock, engine is a 351 W.

Looks completely stock and does not scrape anywhere.

attachment.php

That's pretty sweet, Bro! Are those Hedman shorties available in ceramic-coated as well? I ask simply out of curiosity - I'm not planning on ditching my Hookers or anything... unless they get hung up on the anti-terrorist speed bumps at the main gate or something like that. rofl

Just for the record: This is how clean it looks with Hedman shorties and a stock repro exhaust for a 351. The mufflers are Edelbrock, engine is a 351 W.

Looks completely stock and does not scrape anywhere.

spacer.png
http://www.7173mustangs.com/attachment.php?aid=12344
What exhaust did you use and what modification was done for the headers?

One thing to remember, 1 or 2 degrees at the heads can make a big difference on how low long tube headers hang. Make sure that the collector is raised as high as possible before tightening the exhaust manifold (header flange) bolts and don't tighten them with the headers just hanging on the bolts.

The other thing that can make a big difference is the condition of the transmission mount.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are those Hedman shorties available in ceramic-coated as well?
Yup, mine are and the best thing is that the finish is durable. I was afraid it would wear off after a while but 25000 km later they still look like new.

What exhaust did you use and what modification was done for the headers?
The exhaust is a standard stock repro for 351 engines in 2 1/4 inch diameter tubing.

My car was a 302 originally that only came with a single exhaust. This one said it would fit all body types and it obviously does.

You need to modify the H-pipe because they are designed to attach to the stock manifolds. Of course the shorties have a different geometry, so you need to do some creative welding with a few bent tubes so it all lines up.

I am using doug shortys on my 302. My car is pretty low, and the shortys help with the clearance, my exhaust (not headers) still scrape when i have passengers in the back, so i can imagine how much worse it would be with LT. But also if you decide to get aluminum heads you might have to bang up some tubes to clear the plug wires. I have 20* ports and i had to bang up 3 tubes to clear them. But for clearance reasons shortys all the way!

2n1xv8w.jpg

2hntaud.jpg

1zeay68.jpg

2eziool.jpg

Sweet, guys! ::thumb:: I just wish this thread was around when I scored my Hookers a long time ago. ;)

As promised, here's the shot of mine. I put a tailgate from the shop's golf cart across the lift, so the bottom line of it is the ground, as it were:

1546421_763832433627677_604835110_n.jpg

Looks like about 6.5" or so, and my suspension still needs to settle... so I'm thinking I'll have around 5" or so, all said and done.

BUT - I'm going with much different wheels and tires, so that will all change. It currently has 14" rims and 195/70-R14s all around, and I'll be going with 245/60-R15s up front with 295/50-R15s out back. So, I guess I'll be addiing to this thread again within the next few months. ;) :D

I've now got a problem with the 351W I have in my '71. I was using modified Hedman long tubes, but new RHS heads have the plugs on the driver side in a very awkward position and I don't think I can run them anymore. I'm thinking of having a guy build some custom headers... might be worth the $1000-1500 it costs!

i got FPA's (351C-4v) not scraping the ground, fitment is very good.. i will post a picture from the side..

So Mister 4x4 I'm going to revive this thread. According to Hookers website. The 6921HKR is NOT compatible with power steering. Can you comment on this? I've got a 351C-2V and I want to run headers with my PS

So Mister 4x4 I'm going to revive this thread. According to Hookers website. The 6921HKR is NOT compatible with power steering. Can you comment on this? I've got a 351C-2V and I want to run headers with my PS
I have a stock power steering set-up with mine. Seems to work just fine.

Here's the unit I bought from Advance Auto Parts shortly after I welded on the "new" front clip.

277415_245794592098133_522287_o.jpg

Fitting the headers in on the driver side was a bit tougher than the passenger side, of course... and routing for the PS hoses is a little tight - but I don't think "incompatible" is the word.

Looks like the unit I have in my car. Any chance you can get a picture of what the header looks like going past it? I'm back and forth between the Patriot Headers and the Hooker Headers.

Looks like the unit I have in my car. Any chance you can get a picture of what the header looks like going past it? I'm back and forth between the Patriot Headers and the Hooker Headers.
I can try this weekend - no guarantees though... only because you know how tight things are in there already, I no longer have a lift, and getting a camera into that area for some meaningful pictures will be a challenge - but I'll certainly give it a go! :D

I'm pretty sure everything has at least an inch or more of clearance. As well, the ceramic-coated headers are unbelievably cool-running. I've shot my laser thermostat onto the headers in just about every imaginable location while the car was running, and it never recordered anything over 325 - not even right on the ports at the head. I was expecting to see temps in the range of 450 or more on the headers themselves. Granted, the shiny surface is probably not the most ideal laser-friendly temperature-taking surface, and I expect there to be some variations... but I've felt the air coming off hot header-equipped engines, and I haven't noticed anything like that with my set-up. So far... so good.

[i've heard mixed things about them. YELP and a few other places. What's your experience? How long have you had them. Quality, customer service?]

Sanderson have 2 people in the office. and it's old school. they were at Good Guys West Coast Nationals last weekend and have large display. so, they don't hide from the public. you can buy their stuff from Summit Racing now. their main focus are HOT RODS... check out these TWISTER HEADERS... http://www.sandersonheaders.com/Sanderson-Twister-Outside-Chassis-Header-for-Small-Block-Ford.html

i got mine CERAMIC COATED... they are nice. no gaskets... just RTV... with Stage 8 bolts, NO LEAKS... fits in same place as stock manifolds.. no clearance issues. my former long tube hookers were beat up and leaky from hitting speed bumps...

Back