Headlight relays

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m sure they will. If they are just like your pics, then they will be great. The halogens were a nice improvement over the originals, but theses look very much brighter. Looking forward to seeing the difference 1st hand. Thanks again for all your work and pics of the difference from old to new.
I will try to see if any difference between them with and without the relay harness. But I don’t think there will be. The difference will be noticed in the dashboard, cause the relay harness takes the load off the dash harness, but I’m definitely not an electrician so I could be wrong about that. I’ll post results when I get them installed.
 I'll ditto that. 

I'll order the relay kit today, so I should get it all about the same time. One little bonus with using the Hella's is we could keep the halogen bulbs in the glove box. They'll probably never get used, but a quick fix if one of the LED's fails.

Ouch! At least it will melt quickly! 
 Just going back to this, snow was pretty much gone by the end of the day. Problem is "they" got the damn salt trucks out again. Now I need to wait for some heavy rains to get rid of it before I can get the Mustang out again. I'll not drive it on salty roads, period.

So, on Amazon.ca (Canada) this item does not show as Vspec as the brand, but the exact same one is shown as BLIAuto at $26.88 Cdn. I could have ordered from the US but with exchange and shipping,  the Vspec version works out to be the same within a few cents. Also the BLIatuo ships on Prime plus a $2 discount coupon, so it cost me $24.88 and I'll get it next Thursday, which is when the Hella globes will be here. 

Just going back to this, snow was pretty much gone by the end of the day. Problem is "they" got the damn salt trucks out again. Now I need to wait for some heavy rains to get rid of it before I can get the Mustang out again. I'll not drive it on salty roads, period.
Wow! Salt trucks for snow that was going to be around for less than 24hrs. Ouch. That sucks. 

We had some snow here the other day but not enough for the salt trucks to go out. I actually drove my car yesterday and it didn’t die on me, lol. 
 Although we got 6", the roads were warm enough that it didn't really stick, so a waste of time and money, but as I said before, "liability". Oh well, my new rear sway bar will be here in a day or two, so I'll have some work to do before I'll want to take it out to check out the handling and headlights!

I have not done any yet, but I changed these in advance of some meets that will be taking place in the evenings once we get into the 110+ degree temps out here.
 Chris and others, if and when you decide to swap out old tech for new, take my advice and contact Bill at Hi-Po Parts, https://www.hipoparts.com and have him set you up with better LED's/ SMD's as well as get proper service. Bill is great to work with (assuming he is still in business after this Covid crap). Hope so anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Without any intent to hijack droptop73's post regarding headlight relays, I/we as per usual, have strayed a tad off course, from snow fall to headlight replacement with LED's. Well to continue a tad off course, today I received the Hella head lamps, which look pretty good. I received the Sealight H4/9003/HB2 LED bulbs a couple of day ago. I'm still waiting for the BLIAuto H4/9003 (same as Vspec brand Hemikiller listed) headlight wiring relay kit, which I may get tomorrow or Thursday. Once I have all of it, I'll install it. I did check the fit for the bulb and headlamps and no problem. I am however, a little concerned about moisture getting in as there is no seal for the LED's, only the Halogen bulbs (which will go into the glove box) That is something I'll look into, maybe a need to get creative. Pics to come.

I am however, a little concerned about moisture getting in as there is no seal for the LED's, only the Halogen bulbs (which will go into the glove box) That is something I'll look into, maybe a need to get creative. Pics to come.
Living in AZ and refusing to take my car out on rainy days (we don't have many anyway) I didn't think of a moisture factor. Our typical humidity level is 7-14%. Even with rain in the state right now we are at 21%. LOL.

I do remember their being a gasket on those headlights, but didn't see what it was made out of or how it acts when compressed. Have any more of that rubber sheet I turned you onto for the fuel tank gasket? ;-)

Living in AZ and refusing to take my car out on rainy days (we don't have many anyway) I didn't think of a moisture factor. Our typical humidity level is 7-14%. Even with rain in the state right now we are at 21%. LOL.

I do remember their being a gasket on those headlights, but didn't see what it was made out of or how it acts when compressed. Have any more of that rubber sheet I turned you onto for the fuel tank gasket? ;-)
 Gasket material, not sure, I may have. It may be ok as is, but as our humidity is usually closer to 70-80% in Summer, something to consider I think.

Without any intent to hijack droptop73's post regarding headlight relays, I/we as per usual, have strayed a tad off course, from snow fall to headlight replacement with LED's. Well to continue a tad off course, today I received the Hella head lamps, which look pretty good. I received the Sealight H4/9003/HB2 LED bulbs a couple of day ago. I'm still waiting for the BLIAuto H4/9003 (same as Vspec brand Hemikiller listed) headlight wiring relay kit, which I may get tomorrow or Thursday. Once I have all of it, I'll install it. I did check the fit for the bulb and headlamps and no problem. I am however, a little concerned about moisture getting in as there is no seal for the LED's, only the Halogen bulbs (which will go into the glove box) That is something I'll look into, maybe a need to get creative. Pics to come.
Please keep hijacking this thread. This is all great information and has changed my planned direction significantly! 

@hemikiller 

I need help fast. The relay harness you said you bought, is exactly the same I bought, but under a different brand name. The problem is it arrived this morning, but there were NO instruction with it. The ad picture shows a product manual, but alas, no manual. I did find a YouTube video with a guy installing this, or very similar harness in a Jeep. Not exactly the same, but it did show the basic connections. On the Mustang, I want to keep as much of this as possible hidden. I believe you have installed this harness, so my question is what did you do? I have taken a few pics with the harness just laid out approx. where I want it, I'll hide it behind the rad along the top of the rad support. The main issue will be connecting to the power. The wire supplied will have to be lengthened for sure. For connecting to the car's light harness, it has only one male plug so it has to connect as the pic shows and the other side will be left disconnected. Putting the lamps together and in is no issue at all as the instructions with the LED's is pretty clear. I will not be able to use the silicone covers and I don't want to silicone seal the (black) bulb holder to the lamp because of possible heat problems. I really don't think moisture will be an issue, so for now, I'm leaving the lamps as is.

IMG_1795.JPG

IMG_1797.JPG

IMG_1796.JPG

IMG_1799.JPG

IMG_1800.JPG

IMG_1801.JPG

Good call on leaving the lamps alone. I'm pretty sure that orange O-Ring has you covered. And the clamp on the Hella's hold the lamp base super tight to the back of the globe. Just make sure they low beam cutoff shade is orientated properly. 

Good call on leaving the lamps alone. I'm pretty sure that orange O-Ring has you covered. And the clamp on the Hella's hold the lamp base super tight to the back of the globe. Just make sure they low beam cutoff shade is orientated properly. 
 If any moisture can get in, it would be around the edge of the black piece and the globe and  there is no ledge or anything that an O ring could be used. I don't think it will be any problem. Not only that, but the hole in the bucket is too small for the  seal provided, I may look at some other alternative, or not. AS far as the low beam cut-off, it only fits one way and as long as the globes are put in the car the right way up (reading the script), it should all be good. It's the relay harness that is the question. I don't want it visible if at all possible. To get the relays out of sight, I am going to have to lengthen or replace the power wire. It needs to be about 15-18" longer at a guess. I also would like to connect it to the Pos on the V/R, not the battery.

If any moisture can get in, it would be around the edge of the black piece and the globe and  there is no ledge or anything that an O ring could be used. I don't think it will be any problem. Not only that, but the hole in the bucket is too small for the  seal provided, I may look at some other alternative, or not. 
I think it will be fine as well. The clips on those Hella's keep the black piece super tight. 

Hella H4 LED headlight upgrade with LED relay; UPDATE.

OK, I have figured out what is needed from watching a couple of good 'ol You Tube videos.

The kit I bought seems to be missing the product manual shown in the ad and a couple of zip ties. The way it was wrapped, I have to think it was a returned item and repackaged. I hope it works! No sign that it was ever installed, so my finger are crossed. I will notify Amazon.ca of this apparent fact.

All that is needed is to replace and lengthen the power wire to the fuse (which is only a 10 amp). I'll take some pictures of what I come up with, but the plan is to run the harness below the rad along the frame rail and mount the relay block as low as possible to the rad support in front of the battery. Any exposed wiring will be wrapped with harness loom tape (non sticky stuff). My aim is for this NOT to be seen and above all, replaceable back to original.

Now, time to go do it.

I "hid' the relays in the space between the rad support and the battery. This is what I have been using to wrap wires. I love it:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075HY7VL5/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1JWUVV4ROQ5G3&psc=1
 I'm in the process of "hiding" the relay in the exact same place. As said, I need to add to or change the power wire with a more suitable connector. I am going to use the Pos terminal on the Solenoid where the battery cable connects. I think I said voltage reg. before, my error. As for tape, the stuff I have was from NPD and is glossy, like electrical tape minus the sticky stuff. What you show, is good to. 

I'll update soon, this won't take me long now. 

Back