Headlight relays

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really like those Chris. That's what I've been looking for. Too many of the LED headlights look gaudy to me. Thank you for the links! 
I'll second that, droptop73. I think this is a change I definitely want to make even though I don't do a lot of night driving in the Mach. Then I can say ALL my lights are now LED type!! (with the exception of the ALT bulb in the idiot light cluster)

The original incandescent headlights drew about 50 watts (4.2 amps) on high beam, halogens draw 60, or more, watts (5 amps). This is an increase of 12% current draw across the switch contacts. Some high power LEDs also say they draw 60 watts. The LED headlight bulbs from SuperBright LEDs draw 2.5, or less, amps.
Thanks for that Don. Much appreciated.

I'll second that, droptop73. I think this is a change I definitely want to make even though I don't do a lot of night driving in the Mach. Then I can say ALL my lights are now LED type!! (with the exception of the ALT bulb in the idiot light cluster)
I have not done any yet, but I changed these in advance of some meets that will be taking place in the evenings once we get into the 110+ degree temps out here.

Thanks for posting this Chris, I am ordering these. Tired of being blinded by all the new cars headlights. I don’t drive at night to much, but these should make it much easier to see. I’ve got halogens with a relay now, which is much better than stock but I’m sure theses are even brighter. Thanks again!

Thanks for posting this Chris, I am ordering these. Tired of being blinded by all the new cars headlights. I don’t drive at night to much, but these should make it much easier to see. I’ve got halogens with a relay now, which is much better than stock but I’m sure theses are even brighter. Thanks again!
Awesome! Do me a favor if you can. Can you easily put one light on a relay and have the other one off the relay? I'd like to see if there is a difference. I've got the relay kit as well, but have not used it yet because I went LED, but if it still helps boost the brightness even more, I will add it. 

From what I can find on mine which are essentially the same as what I linked Geoff to These lights are roughly 1.5-1.8A and the wattage is roughly 40W per bulb.
1.8 amps equates to a power draw of about 22 watts (at 12 volts), 40 watts equates to a current draw of about 3.3 amps.

Unplug the old ones, plug the new ones right in. No harness or adapter needed. 
 Thanks. I just ordered the Hella 002395801 kit and the Sealight H4/9003/HB2 LED's, so I guess I'll find out in about a week. Amazon shipping in Canada seems slow these days, no doubt due to Covid.

Thanks. I just ordered the Hella 002395801 kit and the Sealight H4/9003/HB2 LED's, so I guess I'll find out in about a week. Amazon shipping in Canada seems slow these days, no doubt due to Covid.
Be very gentle in pulling the harness connectors off the old lights. Like a lot of the under hood plastic components, the hard plastic connectors are brittle and the connectors have probably been hooked up to those lights for a very long time. They don't like to let go easily. Go slow. 

Be very gentle in pulling the harness connectors off the old lights. Like a lot of the under hood plastic components, the hard plastic connectors are brittle and the connectors have probably been hooked up to those lights for a very long time. They don't like to let go easily. Go slow. 
Thanks for the tip. However I did change these from the ones that were on the car, not originals, to the Halogens sealed beam ones just a few years ago, so I'm not expecting any problems, but one never knows. Caution is always a good thing on these cars.

I used this relay pack from Amazon on mine, saves a bunch of time on wiring and the quality is very good. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085N87SR3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Hemikiller, I've ordered a pair of Hella headlights and Sealight H4 LED bulbs listed by Chris, that I HOPE fit the Hella's. I got the bulbs today from Amazon.ca, but the headlight won't be here until next weekend. In the meantime, should I order the relay kit you list above and if so, do I need 1 or 2 of these kits. Looking at the ad, it is not clear (to me) if 1 kit does both headlights. Can you please clarify for me/us.

Thanks to all for this info and allowing me to "crash the party" so to speak.

Hemikiller, I've ordered a pair of Hella headlights and Sealight H4 LED bulbs listed by Chris, that I HOPE fit the Hella's. I got the bulbs today from Amazon.ca, but the headlight won't be here until next weekend. In the meantime, should I order the relay kit you list above and if so, do I need 1 or 2 of these kits. Looking at the ad, it is not clear (to me) if 1 kit does both headlights. Can you please clarify for me/us.

Thanks to all for this info and allowing me to "crash the party" so to speak.
Geoff, I ordered the exact same things as you did today. I can’t wait to get them! I thought the halogens were a big improvement over the original ones, but these will be even better.
I think the headlight relay harness helps with making the dashboard board illumination brighter too. One of the best and simplest mods we have done to these cars.

Geoff, I ordered the exact same things as you did today. I can’t wait to get them! I thought the halogens were a big improvement over the original ones, but these will be even better.
I think the headlight relay harness helps with making the dashboard board illumination brighter too. One of the best and simplest mods we have done to these cars.
Oh $hit. My reputation is definitely on the line now.😂 I hope they work out for you guys as well as they did for me. 😁

I’m sure they will. If they are just like your pics, then they will be great. The halogens were a nice improvement over the originals, but theses look very much brighter. Looking forward to seeing the difference 1st hand. Thanks again for all your work and pics of the difference from old to new.
I will try to see if any difference between them with and without the relay harness. But I don’t think there will be. The difference will be noticed in the dashboard, cause the relay harness takes the load off the dash harness, but I’m definitely not an electrician so I could be wrong about that. I’ll post results when I get them installed.

Back