Hi-Revving 347 stroker?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oh dam

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Coupe
1994 GT Coupe
Ok i have currently a 302 that doesnt rev high. I started to road race my stang and eventually the motor is either going to blow. or i dont know. But im looking to increase the redline of the motor to maybe 7500? Instead of the 5500 it has now. Ok so im looking into getting this kit for my rotating assembly:http://www.jegs.com/i/Scat/942/1-94170BE/10002/-1

which is perfect because it gives me the right CR for my heads (http://www.racingheadservice.com/rhs/pro-actiontm-sbf-20-200cc-intake-runner-58cc-chamber-bare-aluminum-cylinder-headhtml/) to run 91 when i need to. Ok so im keeping my heads and my cam. I know ill probably need to up my ignition system to an MSD. But has far as internal I want to know if that 347 kit will handle the 7500 redline? I dont always race this car maybe like 1 every 2-3 months. I usually shift at like 1500 when im driving in the street.

For the intended usage I strongly suggest a forged crank not cast as in the kit linked.

If you increase displacement and use the same cam your engine will make HP and TQ peaks LOWER than before, not higher.

I think you got it backwards; increasing the stroke produces more torque. Increasing the rpm increase HP. The question is how you can use it. For weekend autocross more torque is usually the goal. For high speed road racing on a closed track higher rpm would be a goal. But a factory street engine is not going to rev to 7500 more than a few times before failure. You might reconsider your real intended use for the car...or buy a new Porsche.

That sealed Ford engine comes with the rear sump oilpan for newer Mustangs but its not difficult to change though. If I were you, I would try to find a reputable Ford engine builder from your area. Plan the engine with him and have it built with quality parts suited for your needs.

You can hit the 7500 rpm with 347 cid but it's gonna need mechanical roller with 265 to 275 degrees at 0.050" - it's gonna be rough ride under 2000 rpm - engine mainly stumbles/shakes. After that it'll wake up and will peak 500'ish hp @ ~7000 rpm denpending from your head, intake, carb/efi combo. Aftermarket block would be a wise idea too for a longevity.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back