horn question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach 1
What searching the forum, I see that the horn circuit is shared with the cigar lighter.

My cigar lighter is not hooked up, and I have no power when I test the horn, but I have power at the fuse.

My question....does the cigar lighter need to be hooked up to 'complete' the circuit?

That's a good question maybe Midlife can answer it. Sorry I couldn't be of service but I have to wonder why is your Cig lighter disconnected? why don't you reconnect it and find out. Just a thought.

by disconnected I actually mean vacant, lost, missing :)
Oh:shrug2:

Ok I'm no Electrical guy but you could try running a direct wire from the fuse to the horn wire just to see if it will work. If it does then at least you know the problem is between the fuse and the horn button. I don't know like I said I'm no Ready Killawatt.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, you do not have to have the cigarette lighter inserted or even connected for the horn to work. Most horns fail to work either in the turn signal switch or at the horns themselves. You can test the horns directly from the battery. Make sure the chassis of the horn is well grounded.

So... the horns themselves are fine.

To test, can I bridge the two horn wires on the turn signal switch to see if there is power? It has an aftermarket steering wheel so there might be an issue between there and the turn signal switch?

On 73, is it still yellow w blue stripe and blue?

So... the horns themselves are fine.

To test, can I bridge the two horn wires on the turn signal switch to see if there is power? It has an aftermarket steering wheel so there might be an issue between there and the turn signal switch?

On 73, is it still yellow w blue stripe and blue?
Yes and Yes, although the output side is typically blue/yellow stripe.

By input and output... you mean yellow wire is hot from always on power source and blue goes to horns, ground to horns to complete circuit, and horn switch is just that, on off switch? Just trying to educate myself, been a long time since grade 12 electronics

You got it, except the housing of the horn itself is the grounding point.

Latest posts

Back