Ideas Where To Buy Engine Block?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope. Many of the 4v blocks have 4 bolt mains. My original 72 4v engine has 4 bolt mains. The 2 bolt main blocks can be machined to be 4 bolt. I would think that the 2v engines had 2 bolt mains, but not sure. They may be both like the 4v motors.

In 70 and 71 they were 2 bolt mains unless it was a boss 351 OR the end of the production year there were some 71 Q codes that were 4 bolt mains I believe

For @icejawa application, you will need a 2 bolt main block.

As Don @OMS noted, the 4 bolt mains only came on line with the 71 Boss 351 and late '71 model year Q-code engine. In a perfect world as Ford intended it, all H & M code engines were 2-bolt, and all R & Q codes were 4 bolt. There were/are exceptions to this rule, dictated by parts availability.

FWIW, there is no difference in strength between a 2 bolt and 4 bolt block.

Just to throw this out there, Fastenal offers store to store shipping for an extremely reasonable cost. If you can find an engine and have them palletize or crate it, Fastenal will transport it to your nearest store. Fastenal might also palletize it for you.

Thanks for the ideas and help, I messaged the guy from Seattle, and I'm looking at Fastenal too

I like the engine @rvrtrash posted, with the date code 0B27 would this be considered "correct"? I've heard of cars having date codes from a few months before their build time, but I would think Ford would use most engines close to the build date of the cars if that makes sense. Like would you ever find a February block inside of a car produced in October? I want to be as exact as possible so I can give the car the attention that the previous restorers did not offer

I like the engine @rvrtrash posted, with the date code 0B27 would this be considered "correct"? I've heard of cars having date codes from a few months before their build time, but I would think Ford would use most engines close to the build date of the cars if that makes sense. Like would you ever find a February block inside of a car produced in October? I want to be as exact as possible so I can give the car the attention that the previous restorers did not offer
No and it makes no sense to me "especially now that we are in another 50% drop" OR MORE in nonessential items for life. If you are concerned for your build , the date of the motor/per assembly......posted before Oct build date. Then both a J engine isn't even close. Patience will produce a Aug/Sept cast L block - I even looked but mine was later!

You have been good on providing info, but we have to "add it all together" to get your needs. At first I thought you might value a complete engine , delivered ........now I don't know if you want a "project" or JUST NEED A BLOCK thinking you will spend money to build. So SO many have been building stokers that I only reply to those that do restorations, want Ford parts or "have pressing need for an item".

Mark

@SVO2SCJ That's what I thought, just going off the mustangtek website I was searching for a D0AE-L I believe. Looks like the J block would be 1970 only. Good to hear that the date code needs to be closer. I'm looking for anything from a short block to a long block to a ready to drop in engine. (Ideally a set with block, heads, and intake) I just figure any option would be acceptable since its turning to be a slow search.

For reference, My '71 has a scheduled build date of Nov. 16th, 1970, actual build date of Nov. 30th, 1970 and the block date is OK30, one month prior to actual build.
I think this helps people, very good for a DAP build (non Boss /Non 429) car!! Our cars aren't like earlier ones where 3 plants built cars and you needed to understand both demand and shipping time . (Not to mention lack of rotation/strikes and block repairs that happened to many FE's right out of the foundry!

If anything I'll bet many MANY more items will be available from "those that didn't want to sell" prior in the near future. People will start to do things differently also. Where MANY had not problem "buying AMK bolts" (so they are shinny) some will now value cleaning, prepping and plating original hardware) , which is what restorers did all along!

Mark

For reference, My '71 has a scheduled build date of Nov. 16th, 1970, actual build date of Nov. 30th, 1970 and the block date is OK30, one month prior to actual build.
I think this helps people, very good for a DAP build (non Boss /Non 429) car!!    Our cars aren't like earlier ones where 3 plants built cars and you needed to understand both demand and shipping time .  (Not to mention lack of rotation/strikes and block repairs that happened to many FE's right out of the foundry!

If anything I'll bet many MANY more items will be available from "those that didn't want to sell" prior in the near future.  People will start to do things differently also.  Where MANY had not problem "buying AMK bolts" (so they are shinny) some will now value cleaning, prepping and plating original hardware) , which is what restorers did all along!

Mark
Maybe I should add then that my car is a Boss. I didn't think it would matter in this instance, but since you brought it up......

We always try to buy a somewhat running parts car to get engines.

A 70 / 71 Torino 4 door rust bucket can be had for 700 bucks.  You get all of the brackets, accessories, odds and ends plus can hear it run before you buy it.

A few years back we bought a 71 Torino wagon that had all of the glass busted out of it but it ran.  We got a running 2V cleveland / C6  for $550.00

When we were done I dropped a junk block in it - loaded it with scrap - and took it to the recycle guy.  We got $220.00 for it.

Nothing better than a parts car!

- Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it'll be fine, serialized to me is only when Ford received the order and put it in the system to be scheduled. Based on your Marti build date of 10/5, you are right where you need to be. My old 71 XR-7 was serialized and ordered on 11/20, but didn't get built until 12/11. It had the original engine in it, down to the coil tag, carb etc.

Intake - 0M1 - Dec 1

Heads - 0L12 - Nov 12

Block - 0L17 - Nov 17

Considering that's a complete original engine with all the parts it came with from the factory, you'd be miles ahead. Most people have zero issues with parts cast in the month preceding the build date.

I think it'll be fine, serialized to me is only when Ford received the order and put it in the system to be scheduled. Based on your Marti build date of 10/5, you are right where you need to be. My old 71 XR-7 was serialized and ordered on 11/20, but didn't get built until 12/11. It had the original engine in it, down to the coil tag, carb etc.

Intake - 0M1 - Dec 1

Heads - 0L12 - Nov 12

Block - 0L17 - Nov 17

Considering that's a complete original engine with all the parts it came with from the factory, you'd be miles ahead. Most people have zero issues with parts cast in the month preceding the build date.
Ah, I just wondered because my hood latch, fenders, etc are stamped 9/22/70. I'll have to drive out then

Did you see the motor on the 71-73 Facebook group???  People even commented "someone" was looking for a Sept block !!    In western Wisc too !!   Close, cheap right date code !!!!!!!

Mark

Did you see the motor on the 71-73 Facebook group???  People even commented "someone" was looking for a Sept block !!    In western Wisc too !!   Close, cheap right date code !!!!!!!

Mark
yes i paid him $300 to hold it til I go get it around 2 weeks

Mark
Yeah, that was me. I saw the date code and how complete it was and immediately came here to let icejawa know

Back