Ideas Where To Buy Engine Block?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello everyone,

I'm looking around for a date code correct 351C-4V engine block or even a complete one. Tried searching many sites like ebay/craigslist but I don't see any. The junkyards here suck and only have 1996+ years of cars. Anyone know where I could find one? :huh:

Thanks
What date code are you looking for
His Marti report shows a 10/6/70 build date. I don't have anything that early in the '71 model year. 

https://ibb.co/cgsa0y

TMeyer posted on FB the other day he is going to start offering completely CNC machined original 351C blocks. I believe it's going to be core based or exchange, but might be worth an email to see if he has one in your date range. $1100 for the works is pretty good IMO. 

https://www.tmeyerinc.com/
Highly recommend TMeyer. Tim is a great and very well connected guy. Give him a call and talk to him. He can be hard to get on the phone so be patient.You can also try asking on the Cleveland Facebook page.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, definitely using these links.

Don OMS, I'm not sure which date code I would need, my cars bucked/serialized 9/22/1970 and built on 10/5/1970. I used to know but forgot after not being able to locate a block.
I'll see what I have in 70 blocks

That is a good price, I had to fork out $1,000 for a complete '72 CJ engine, stock bore. Still needs cleaned, magnafluxed, bored, etc.

Another possible source is Barnett, he used to sell bare blocks, but I don't see them listed now, probably ran out of cores. Might be worth a call, though.

https://barnetthighperformance.com/

I highly recommend NOT using barnett!  Hes a crook and a thief in my book!!!!  Burned me for a lot of money and sold me junk parts at high end prices!!!!   USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
I don't know if this is the case, but there is a Barnett populating the Mustang forums and claims he has a lot of experience, but has been frequently banned from some forums.  Is this who you are referring to?  He is not related to Barnett Performance out of MI.
Midlife, I have seen that name on a few forums and that is not who i am talking about.  I am absolutely talking about Barnett High Performance. I bought a set of heads fully assembled from him a couple years ago that almost destroyed my brand new 408C.  Installed chinese parts in my heads and sold them as high dollar name brand parts. Total scammer, cheat, thief and few other words that i wont say!!  :angel:  Here is a link to a thread discussing the whole thing.  Alot of the pics are now gone but the thread is still alive.  https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-better-news-for-my-408-its-alive

Detroit's not too far, there are 2 complete engines, a 0.030" over short block (pass) and a motor minus the crank on CL at the moment.

There's also a guy up by Flint that has parted out dozens of 71-73's that has a couple of 351C's.

If you search the Detroit Metro CL under 'Auto Parts' with '351C' and '351 Cleveland' you'll find them.

This popped up on the Ashtabula CL, air cleaner says 4V as well, sounds like an ok deal if its an M-code:

https://ashtabula.craigslist.org/pts/d/ashtabula-351-cleveland-motor-and/7005919425.html

-Matt
Saw that yesterday!  Detroit is a long way from Southern California, and I don't need the tranny... but it makes me wonder...  Maybe it's time to haul the car up to my nephew's auto shop in Wisconsin so they'll have something to work on this winter.  Ha!

Detroit's not too far, there are 2 complete engines, a 0.030" over short block (pass) and a motor minus the crank on CL at the moment.

There's also a guy up by Flint that has parted out dozens of 71-73's that has a couple of 351C's.

If you search the Detroit Metro CL under 'Auto Parts' with '351C' and '351 Cleveland' you'll find them.

This popped up on the Ashtabula CL, air cleaner says 4V as well, sounds like an ok deal if its an M-code:

https://ashtabula.craigslist.org/pts/d/ashtabula-351-cleveland-motor-and/7005919425.html

-Matt
Saw that yesterday!  Detroit is a long way from Southern California, and I don't need the tranny... but it makes me wonder...  Maybe it's time to haul the car up to my nephew's auto shop in Wisconsin so they'll have something to work on this winter.  Ha!
Well. If you drive all the way from SoCal to WI, in perspective, Detroit is only a little bit farther. Where in WI?
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Don OMS, I'm not sure which date code I would need, my cars bucked/serialized 9/22/1970 and built on 10/5/1970. I used to know but forgot after not being able to locate a block.
I do not have anything with a 70 date

Hello everyone,

I'm looking around for a date code correct 351C-4V engine block or even a complete one. Tried searching many sites like ebay/craigslist but I don't see any. The junkyards here suck and only have 1996+ years of cars. Anyone know where I could find one? :huh:

Thanks

Daaamn thanks for checking. Anyone and everyone who sees this, I'm still looking and will be until I find a 1970 code block

Hello everyone,

Thanks

Daaamn thanks for checking. Anyone and everyone who sees this, I'm still looking and will be until I find a 1970 code block
I am checking with a friend of mine in MI

i did the search tempest also

jersey shore: 70-74, 4bolt 60 over, $1500

listed in jersey shore from stanten island 351c complete $3000

Allentown Pa, 351c and trans from '71 cougar $800

in Tallmadge Oh, east of Akron, 2 bolt DOAE-1, $500

hope that helps some.

Still looking
Patience Grasshopper!

All good parts will come in their time.  I have been collecting parts for 20 plus years.  When desperate you can pay premium for the same part that is free or $20 at the next swap meet circuit.  We all do it.  When the shop gets too crowded or we get restoration burnout, we let those shop corner anchors go just to see the floor again.

Good luck.  Keep searching the forums and think outside the box.  Mustang forums, boss forums, West Coast Classic Cougar, truck forums, Mercury forums, Pantera forums, Torino forums.

I was looking for a reverse lockout rod fro the original Hurst shifter for years.  I saw Ebay prices hit $300+, then one day I found a bead blasted original unit that I ended up winning for $50.

Keep your eyes peeled and keep asking.

kcmash

I agree with patience. It took me a year to find one within a 4-hour driving distance. I just wanted a block and was not interested in the date code. I lucked out and got a standard bore '72 Q code 4-bolt engine.

Even when you do find the correct date code block it still won't have the correct partial VIN.

havent seen any yet, figured i would keep checking here too

I was added to that group today, a few people have messaged me. Since my car was "actually built" on Oct 1970, according to the Marti report, would I need a block from 1970?

I was added to that group today, a few people have messaged me. Since my car was "actually built" on Oct 1970, according to the Marti report, would I need a block from 1970?
Yes, anything from Sept 1970 to about two weeks prior to your actual build date would work.

Yes, anything from Sept 1970 to about two weeks prior to your actual build date would work.
+1 if you want to say that the engine is "period correct." Otherwise, it doesn't matter. My car doesn't have the original engine but it is still considered period correct because the engine casting date is about a month before the car's build date.

Are the 351C 2V and 4V engines the same except for the heads and intake? If I remember correctly they're both 2 bolt mains

Latest posts

Back