Look what followed me home!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1973grandeklar

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Grande 351C 2V
1972 Mustang 'Q' code Mach 1
I bought this from mustang7173. Picked it up this weekend and brought it home:

pickedup3.JPG

pickedup2.JPG

pickedup1.JPG

Then we cleaned it up and took out all the carpet, headliner, and underlayment.

cleaned1.JPG

cleaned2.JPG

The cowl leaks and the floors are wet. There is rust so the floors are shot.

floors1.JPG

floors2.JPG

floors3.JPG

I bought this for the drivetrain to transplant into my 1973.

photo 1.JPG

But looking at the rust on this car, it is about the same or slightly better than my current project. If I can fix the 1973 Grande, I think I could save this one. For now it will sit under a carport until I am farther along on the Grande.

That seems to have cleaned up nice!

Are the front fender decals unusual? I can't remember the word 'Mustang' under the Mach 1 text...

hee hee work on this one instead of the 73 coupe :D

come on its a Q code and a rarer 72 :D

I'm a coupe lover... But let's face the facts, I'd be willing to bet that restored Q code Mach 1 would be worth more than the coupe. Hell, that is exactly I wanted to buy a coupe. I got more car for the money... At least I think so. Good luck deciding.

How is it that half of the forum isn't corrupted yet?

Fix them all :D

Anyone know why someone melted the lead out of the roof joints? That's an odd one in its own right.

-Kurt

How is it that half of the forum isn't corrupted yet?

Fix them all :D

Anyone know why someone melted the lead out of the roof joints? That's an odd one in its own right.

-Kurt
Yes, the roof is new. I will get a picture of it when I get home, but the roof is literally new, not something cutoff of another car. Do they make these as reproductions? If not then it must of been a NOS roof. The sad thing is the work is kind of crappy and the filler used at the seams has come back out. Looks ike regular body filler used to fill the joint. I am planning to remove all that and use a metal filler for these seams.

The NC inspection sticker in the front window is for 1985. Coould this be the last time this car was on the road? The back window has a parking permit for A and T university (in Greensboron NC) dated 1981. Students car?

Yes, the roof is new. I will get a picture of it when I get home, but the roof is literally new, not something cutoff of another car. Do they make these as reproductions? If not then it must of been a NOS roof. The sad thing is the work is kind of crappy and the filler used at the seams has come back out. Looks ike regular body filler used to fill the joint. I am planning to remove all that and use a metal filler for these seams.The NC inspection sticker in the front window is for 1985. Coould this be the last time this car was on the road? The back window has a parking permit for A and T university (in Greensboron NC) dated 1981. Students car?
NOS replacement or very carefully installed off another car.

The joints were probably filled with lousy filler. Hit the crevices with phosphoric acid to neutralize the rust, then blast or grind the joints as clean as possible (preferably with the windows out so you can assess any repairs in those areas due to the roof skin swap).

Once it's ready to fix, fill the seams with Duraglass. Of all the fillers for this purpose other than lead (trust me, if you don't tin it right, you'll have more problems in the form of cracks), Duraglass appears to have the best track record, applied correctly.

-Kurt

Latest posts

Back