Look what followed me home!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Clean it up

Weld it solid not stitched

Use panel adhesive over the joint if you don't lead

Then the filler

Clean it up

Weld it solid not stitched

Use panel adhesive over the joint if you don't lead

Then the filler
Panel adhesive - you mean coat the area with 3M's 8115?

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
NOS replacement or very carefully installed off another car.

The joints were probably filled with lousy filler. Hit the crevices with phosphoric acid to neutralize the rust, then blast or grind the joints as clean as possible (preferably with the windows out so you can assess any repairs in those areas due to the roof skin swap).

Once it's ready to fix, fill the seams with Duraglass. Of all the fillers for this purpose other than lead (trust me, if you don't tin it right, you'll have more problems in the form of cracks), Duraglass appears to have the best track record, applied correctly.

-Kurt
Here is what the roof looks like from inside the car:

roof1.JPG

roof2.JPG

New plan!!!

I am putting the 1973 Grande on hiatus. I have not attached the cowl yet and I have not removed any of the suspension, so it still rolls. I am going to put the front fenders on (with about two bolts), put any other metal parts (like the valances) inside the car, and push it away from the garage under a carport. It will sit there for now.

The 1972 will get the new cowl, I will pull the engine and transmission, and set this car up for a rebuild. After looking at it all week sitting next to the 1973, I really like the look of the fastback!

First order of business is to assess the 351C-4V and C6. Both will be rebuilt as needed. Second order is to remove the old leaking cowl and put in this one. Good thing here is this is a non-A/C car so no modifications are needed for this reproduction cowl (recall for an A/C car this cowl required some modification).

The car will require floor pans, trunk floor, tail light panel, and at least passenger front fender. Pretty much everything the 1973 Grande needs, this car needs. The difference is that this car is a Q code Mach1, the 1973 is an H code Grande coupe. You can see why I switched projects?

Nothing against the coupe but you made the right choice. The under side of the roof looks to be in great shape.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back