Looking for my old 73 Q Code Fastback

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good luck. I hope you get it back. I had a '71 fastback when I was stationed at Hickam AFB in Hawaii. I sold it when I left in 1993. That was the first car I ever bought. I know how great it woukd be to have that car back. I hope it works out for you.

We helped a Mustang Club member find her Husbands 69 Z28 Camero. He sold it in NY in the 70's. It took 3 years to track it down and we found it in FL less than 1500 yards from her house. NO JOKE!

Once I had an address I went to her house, walked to her back fence and pointed to a neighbors shed. "Your car is in that shed".

We walked around the block and introduced ourselves. It took a few weeks to work out the money but she got it for a fair price for a basket case but original 302 Camero Z28.

When he first saw the car on his driveway he was mad because this car was to rough to restore but as he sat in it and started to realize that this was his car it got pretty funny.

She told him that he had done nothing but bitch about selling it for the last 20 plus years and she had just got tired of hearing it. "Now shut the F^^K up about it already - OK"

They sent it to Greg Donahue and spent some big $$$ to get it done right - what a nice car when it was done!

- Paul

Paul,

Its great to read about all the Happy Endings when it come to cars and their previous owners. I would really love to have my old car back and write a happy ending to this story too. I have my doubts now as its been more then 2 days since I called and since it was in a legal dispute of some kind it may not even be possible.

I will have to play the waiting game for now and see what happens.

Thanks for all the kind words and positive attitudes.. Bob

We helped a Mustang Club member find her Husbands 69 Z28 Camero. He sold it in NY in the 70's. It took 3 years to track it down and we found it in FL less than 1500 yards from her house. NO JOKE!

Once I had an address I went to her house, walked to her back fence and pointed to a neighbors shed. "Your car is in that shed".

We walked around the block and introduced ourselves. It took a few weeks to work out the money but she got it for a fair price for a basket case but original 302 Camero Z28.

When he first saw the car on his driveway he was mad because this car was to rough to restore but as he sat in it and started to realize that this was his car it got pretty funny.

She told him that he had done nothing but bitch about selling it for the last 20 plus years and she had just got tired of hearing it. "Now shut the F^^K up about it already - OK"

They sent it to Greg Donahue and spent some big $$$ to get it done right - what a nice car when it was done!

- Paul

Paul,

Its great to read about all the Happy Endings when it come to cars and their previous owners. I would really love to have my old car back and write a happy ending to this story too. I have my doubts now as its been more then 2 days since I called and since it was in a legal dispute of some kind it may not even be possible.

Do you have any friends or family in law enforcement that would be willing to run the VIN through the system for you? That's how I was able to track down the previous owner of my '71 - who was otherwise unreachable (car remained here in Florida, but he had moved up to Kentucky two years prior to locating the car).

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
we can't really do that ... mainly because it's for official use only and if it comes up stolen ... It would be misuse of government equipment and a bad day for me If that happened.

Kurt,

I have had many of my Buddy's run the vin over the years. It did not come up. I don't think its been registered in many years. It may be even decades since its been on the road. I don't know. At this point at least I know its still out there.

Its a little different in todays world so everyone is very hesitant to run the vin for me lately. I understand as I don't want anyone to get in trouble over it. My guess is that maybe someone in the Pennsylvania DMV could look it up? I would think thats the database that has the information I would need?? Bob

Paul,

Do you have any friends or family in law enforcement that would be willing to run the VIN through the system for you? That's how I was able to track down the previous owner of my '71 - who was otherwise unreachable (car remained here in Florida, but he had moved up to Kentucky two years prior to locating the car).

-Kurt

My guess is that maybe someone in the Pennsylvania DMV could look it up? I would think thats the database that has the information I would need?? Bob
Unlikely that the Penn DMV would do it for you - even if you know someone in there, the place is probably run by the Peter Principle. Try someone connected or in the insurance industry.

-Kurt

Well its time for an update on this saga. Not sure where this is going but at least I have more information. Seems the legal action was nothing more then an application for a title for an abandoned car. Thats right,my car was abandoned.....I still have a hard time saying that! I think in Pennsylvania in order to scrap or crush a car you have to have a title? Not sure. Anyway someone bought property and the car was in a run down garage. They wanted to knock down the garage so they needed to get rid of the car. I am not sure how it was disposed of yet.......I did talk to the Attorney that handled this and was told that the car was in very poor shape.....I left all my contact information hoping that it would be passed on to the person that applied for the title last July. As of now i don't know if its still alive or it has been junked? Kind of a helpless feeling.

Well its time for an update on this saga. Not sure where this is going but at least I have more information. Seems the legal action was nothing more then an application for a title for an abandoned car. Thats right,my car was abandoned.....I still have a hard time saying that! I think in Pennsylvania in order to scrap or crush a car you have to have a title? Not sure. Anyway someone bought property and the car was in a run down garage. They wanted to knock down the garage so they needed to get rid of the car. I am not sure how it was disposed of yet.......I did talk to the Attorney that handled this and was told that the car was in very poor shape.....I left all my contact information hoping that it would be passed on to the person that applied for the title last July. As of now i don't know if its still alive or it has been junked? Kind of a helpless feeling.
Sorry to hear that. If you do hear anything else back, I can go check it out for you. Allegheny County is only about 35-45 minutes from me. I would be more than happy to help you out with anything i can. And yes you need a title for any car that you want to scrap in PA. Big pain in the butt.

Thanks for the offer. I am still hoping to hear something but there are no guarantees here. I would buy the car in any condition but I am not sure I will have that chance. I just can't get past the abandoned car thing. How can something like this eve happen? It does explain why none of my Buddies could locate it in the late 80's and 90's when I had them run the VIN.

Sorry to hear that. If you do hear anything else back, I can go check it out for you. Allegheny County is only about 35-45 minutes from me. I would be more than happy to help you out with anything i can. And yes you need a title for any car that you want to scrap in PA. Big pain in the butt.

That sucks. I couldn't imagine. I certainly hope it works out but it may be a great opportunity to start fresh. You can build what you had or you can build what you want.

started reading this thread and got excited hoping the car could be found.. get to the end and its full of sadness.. :(

I hope you can obtain the car still to salvage what you can to possibly help another build..

started reading this thread and got excited hoping the car could be found.. get to the end and its full of sadness.. :(

I hope you can obtain the car still to salvage what you can to possibly help another build..
I got a phone call from the attorney today and my old car is still out there. It was not crushed.... I have not talked to the owner yet but I am hopeful I will in the near future. Once I get the full story I will let everyone know. This is GREAT news.:)

Sure hope you get your car! Only two cars in my life I want back.... a 1960 Chevy Impala. YEP go ahead and laugh.....

1960 Impala

409 three duces

4 speed

bucket seats and console

1 OF ONE!!!!

It wouldnt have its original motor and tranny cuz I put them in a 56 !!! Still would love to have it back.

I got a phone call from the attorney today and my old car is still out there. It was not crushed.... I have not talked to the owner yet but I am hopeful I will in the near future. Once I get the full story I will let everyone know. This is GREAT news.:)
That's great news. Hopefully it will work out for you. Maybe at least you can get some current pictures. At least you know it is out there and you can quit looking.

Back