louver lover or not?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought mine many years ago for about 125.00 from Mustangs Unlimited. For the most part I'm happy with them, obviously they could be improved but nothing that would keep me from recommending them to another. They're more about looks then practicality so if you like the look go for it.

I'm happy with mine. I can't speak to the visibility issues as I've not even driven mine [meaningfully] yet - just on and off a trailer for a car show, really.

To combat any sort of visibility issues, I've installed a Pyle Audio back-up camera on a custom bracket, that flips down like a third sunvisor (rather than simply going with a super-tiny monitor in a rear-view mirror). I need to get pics of the set-up - it's pretty cool, actually.

Crap, I need to get pics of the things I've done to the car - so many new things.

I'm not too concerned with visibly issues. As long as you are going faster than everyone else, you only need to see out the windshield right?! Here is the crappy ones that were on my car when I bought her.
2u97kw7.jpg
I have to imagine that any of the aluminum ones will be better than this junk. Both in looks and visibility.

I'm happy with mine. I can't speak to the visibility issues as I've not even driven mine [meaningfully] yet - just on and off a trailer for a car show, really.

To combat any sort of visibility issues, I've installed a Pyle Audio back-up camera on a custom bracket, that flips down like a third sunvisor (rather than simply going with a super-tiny monitor in a rear-view mirror). I need to get pics of the set-up - it's pretty cool, actually.

Crap, I need to get pics of the things I've done to the car - so many new things.
Would like to see the camera setup.

Go to this older thread for camera discussion so as to not steal this one.

Lots of good info.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-can-t-see-out-the-rear-window-try-this

Ray

Yesterday I was outside dusting off the pollen on my Mach1 when my grand daughter 4 1/2 Yrs. old ) came out and was watching me with my California car duster. She started asking me a lot of questions about the car. I was happy and proud she was showing an interest in my favorite toy. Then she asked about the louvers and what they were for and why I had them in the back window, Did they help me to see? Well first I took them off (just to clean under them then I walked around the car looking at it from all angles and then I decided to take them off completely and very carefully slipped off the brackets and hinges and for now they're put away in the garage until I change my mind. Like I said at the beginning of this thread I can never seem to make up my mind on this one thing on my car. I think I need help.

I have always like the look of the louvers on the 71/73's sportroofs, but have never had to deal with owning one with louvers. So I guess you have to weigh the practicality versus the looks if you want them on you car.

Kind of off topic, but I picked up a set of louvers for my 2004 Mach 1 last year and have never installed them on the car. I placed them on the rear window and took some picks and finally decided I do not want them on the Mach. I'm giving them to my son for his 2001 Bullitt. His Bullitt is parked next to my Mach in the pics. Here are some pics with the louvers sitting on the glass, but the pics are bad and do not show the louvers off very well.

With or without I like your car and I bet Your son's Bullitt is pretty special to. I have mixed emotions about the louvers on any mustang but 69 and 70s because they look right at home on them.

Thanks, I really enjoy the 04 Mach 1 and the functional shaker looks great too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just installed my new set on my 72 Mach & I really like the look of them! Plus, they help to hide my rear window that is all scratched to hell.

Now I have to decide if I want to put some clear coat on. Reason being is that they are flat black & all of my black accents are done with gloss.

I just installed my new set on my 72 Mach & I really like the look of them! Plus, they help to hide my rear window that is all scratched to hell.

Now I have to decide if I want to put some clear coat on. Reason being is that they are flat black & all of my black accents are done with gloss.
Decisions decisions to clear coat or stay flat black, what to do? If it were me I'd clear them so they match the rest of the car. But that's just me, Heck I can't even decide whether or not to even keep them on the car or not I even let a 4yr old talk me into taking them off. Out of the mouth's of babes. Frank

With or without I like your car and I bet Your son's Bullitt is pretty special to. I have mixed emotions about the louvers on any mustang but 69 and 70s because they look right at home on them.

I agree great looks, comfort, and power out the bazoo. Wicked cool ride Mustangs of all years are awesome.

Decisions decisions to clear coat or stay flat black, what to do? If it were me I'd clear them so they match the rest of the car. But that's just me, Heck I can't even decide whether or not to even keep them on the car or not I even let a 4yr old talk me into taking them off. Out of the mouth's of babes. Frank

I am pretty sure the clear coat will look better too.

Hey Frank, how do you remove the hold down brackets?

I agree great looks, comfort, and power out the bazoo. Wicked cool ride Mustangs of all years are awesome.

Personally not a fan. Leave them on the 69-70 models.

Frank,

I love them - period :D

For me they represent what we call "Zeitgeist" - the spirit of the good old time...

Especially on yours I like the look! How could you do that...

But I like the look on Mikes modern Mach 1 too.

I know - I am biased... ;)

No need to fret Tim I'll change my mind again soon enough. Indecision may or may not be my problem. lol

Personally not a fan. Leave them on the 69-70 models.
Oh you just had to get your 2 cents worth in. All this love for the louvers coming from everybody and you had to do that. Well like I said they're off for the foreseeable future. But like Jimmy Buffett say's in the song "Indecision may or may not be my problem." As far as the louvers go that's my problem. Thanks for your 2 cents Frank

I have mixed emotions on them too, don't hate them on our years, nor have a super huge love for them..My dad had a blue 73 mach 1 that looked great with them when i was a teen...Johns Mach 1 looks awesome with them. But after owning my red and black one for so long, i started to noticed i didn't like them as much " maybe it just the color of my car too" Going to keep them off mine for now. But i do think they look awesome on some other mustangs " like the cobra 2's" Just with our long rear window i'm not sure if they fit quite right, or my style..If i owned a 69-70 or a cobra ii,, i would have them on in a heart beat..lol

I have mixed emotions on them too, don't hate them on our years, nor have a super huge love for them..My dad had a blue 73 mach 1 that looked great with them when i was a teen...Johns Mach 1 looks awesome with them. But after owning my red and black one for so long, i started to noticed i didn't like them as much " maybe it just the color of my car too" Going to keep them off mine for now. But i do think they look awesome on some other mustangs " like the cobra 2's" Just with our long rear window i'm not sure if they fit quite right, or my style..If i owned a 69-70 or a cobra ii,, i would have them on in a heart beat..lol
None of this is helping me decide. But thanks for weighing in. I too love the louvers on 69-70 models and on the Cobra II as well. I had a 1970 Grabber green Boss 302 stored in my garage for 2 yrs for a friend until he finished building his garage and I loved the look of the louvers on his car so much I bought them for mine. That's when all this started.

Yeah, I like the look on your car. I had mine painted in the gloss black when they painted my car to match the chin spoiler, hood and rear spoiler. Looks like your rear spoiler has a gloss finish too so spraying a gloss finish on the louvers will make it blend in better. Your car looks super BTW, yellow is one of my favorite colors.

I had wired everything up but hadn't actually mounted the monitor. I picked up a multi-positional mounting bracket from a motorcycle vendor - mounts a GPS to a tank-bag, of all things. Once it's in-place, it should work very much like a third sun visor. Stay tuned for that (once I find the bracket again, that is ;) )

attachment.php

Yes, I already know about all the crap in my garage... there's supposed to be a Jeep in that spot - trust me.

Here's the view outward - not a lot of viewing anything out back.

attachment.php

And finally, I'd installed some louvers a few months ago, and love 'em. Here's a couple shots - they look mean, and are a period correct restomod as well.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I'll get a closer pic of the license plate frame/camera area. Since the camera has night vision, the stock license plate light would've effectively blinded it, so I got some LED license plate fasteners from that same motorcycle vender as well.

Back