Mach Stripes on the Coupe

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks great! We're absolutely going through with mach stripes on the 72 coupe! :D

Do IT!!!

I love the idea of the stripes with the vinyl top. I'm not as sure about the black hood treatment (I'd leave the hood body color and just have the stripes with vinyl top, myself), but I'm sure it'll look great as well.

I say 'make it your own' instead of having a 'plain vanilla factory original' car. Throwing on even just a set of nice wheels can have a huge difference on any car. I'm also for accessorizing to your heart's content - until it starts looking like you drove by AutoZone with the crap-magnet turned on, that is. ;)

Can't wait to see it!

We skirted around this topic in a few other threads, but I wanted to start a new thread for some opinions...

I'm thinking of putting a black vinyl roof on the coupe and keeping the original Gold Glow Metallic color but adding the top part of the Mach stripes. I don't think the lower black out decal would look good with the chrome rocker strips. I did a little photoshop to help illustrate! What do you guys think? Will the ginger interior look ok with a black top?
I think it would look great with both the stripes and the vinyl top. Really nice choice in my opinion.

Really looks good Rigger. MB
Thanks, that's the result of a 2 year complete nut and bolt restoration. Now I just need to get it sold to make room to roll the 67 Camaro in and restore it. Or it will go back into storage for the winter in another week or so, either way...

I just want it to look good, not going for a concours restoration or anything. That is good to know though! I didn't know any coupes came with stripes!
In 1972 Ford was trying to come up with ways to market the car to a wider audience. So in 72 they added all the Mach 1 options to the coupe and it was unofficially called the sport coupe. Starting in 72 you could get a coupe with a Mach1 front grill, and matching honey comb tail panel, along with the front and rear spoiler, the color keyed urethane front bumper, color keyed front fender extensions, with the fog lights, a ram air hood, and all the same stripping options that the Mach 1 came with. When I started my resto on my 72 coupe, I printed out a picture of this original add and put it on the freezer in my garage. I need to find it and post it here, as there have been many questions about what options were available on these coupes. I built my to match that add exactly (minus the rocker panel and hood blackout because those are painted on and the stripes are decals, I decided to leave them off because you cant match the rockers and the hood color to the stripes.) And it came out GREAT, remember the options were available in 72-73 coupes only to help boost slumping sales.

you are right i have a blueglow sport coupe 351cj 4 speed, and it came with two tone hood, ram air non functional, argent mach1 stripes , lower two tone argent also and it is a 73 model.i think these stripes look so good on these, my car does not have a vinyle roof, but i think it looks great also.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd say: Go for it!

Keeping a car all original only makes sense, if the car is something special, like a real Mach 1 with a rare factory option or a rare engine/trans combo, or something similar, or a Boss. At least, that's what I think.

So it all depends on what you like.

Another vote for vinyl roof and and body stripes. I'm with Eric thought's above and am also thinking a two-tone hood may be a bit much...but maybe not. The vinyl roof and stripes will look killer though!

I just want it to look good, not going for a concours restoration or anything. That is good to know though! I didn't know any coupes came with stripes!
Hi, Rocketfoot look in the marti section at my old blue 73 coupe the marti on that one shows side stripes if you look at the picture close enough you can see traces of the stripes. The previous owner painted the lower silver part black at some point. It also had the silver tu tone hood option.
55_19.jpg

Berry heres a pic of my 71 Grande with hood stripe I wanted to do side stripe but never got around to it. I just moved to So Cal from Connecticut and I entered a Mustang show 5 blocks from my house. I won 1st in 69-73 coupe then I got farthest distance traveled because of my Connecticut plates. Anyway I vote for all 4 roof hood and upper and lower sides.

image0-4.jpg

image0-2.jpg

Nice...LOL! Mach 1 Pinto!

That red coupe looks great! Love to see it with some stripes!

Back