Mounting fenders for the first time

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 H code fastback Boss 351 clone
I am about ready to put my fenders back on, When I bought the car they were not very well aligned, and the PO just put 1 shim under each of the top bolts and that was it. The drivers side was particularly bad. Anybody have any tips/tricks to mounting fenders? I already have the splash shields in place. Thanks again guys!!

Many others have struggled through this, a lot of trial and error involved. Enter fender fitment in the search box and you'll find out how they worked through it.

I found the fenders to be much easier than the doors. I was looking for a 3/16" gap between door and quarter panel and then between door and fender. I went to Home Depot and found some vinyl floor samples that were the right thickness. Then taped a couple of them on door so when I sat fender on the gap would be correct. Then just had to worry about lining up fender edges and experimented with different thickness shims. Easy to do by yourself, unlike the doors.

Should I put the hood on first then? Get that to latch, then line the fenders up with that?
I got the fender to door gap and alignment where I wanted then snugged the rear most fender bolts leaving the others loose. Then put the hood on and set height of rest of fender bolts by using shims and you can move the front of the fenders in or out a little to get the correct gap with hood.

Latest posts

Back