NASA HOOD SPRINGS

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a factory Ram Air-equipped NASA hood with some ebay-acquired standard hinges and bought a pair of springs from OMS. Haven't had any issues with the hood staying up for hours on end at all.

I needed the hinges since one of the spring mounting points had rusted through, rendering the hinge useless (no spring to be found anywhere). The driver side hood hinge spring was one of the flat style springs as well.

Pastel I have only found the square springs on Mach 1's

I have had four - Q code [ 72's and 73 ] convertibles and a 71 M code coupe with nasa hoods, they all had round springs.

Might have been an assembly line mix up where no one ever thought to up grade the hinge spring on 4 V cars ?
My cars support what Don said...my 73 Q code Mach 1 has flat springs, my 72 Q code convertible has round springs. Both have the NASA hood with non functional ram air setup.

You bet. I bought mine from Dallas Mustang, as I live in Dallas. I buy parts from several suppliers, but they are local, and I can return unneeded or incorrect parts as a result of living in Dallas. https://www.dallasmustang.com/hoods-hinge-spring-1971-1973.html The manufacturer's part number is there also, but the packaging was simply plastic wrap with no other markings. Hope this helps!

Brad

Back