nothing seems to match

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tcasey513

Reaction score
I ordered a Marti report for my 2f05h . The only vin number on the car is the dash. The previous owner bought it as a Boss 351 clone 22 years ago in Kentucky. The marti report says it's green , fmx auto, ginger interior no fold down back seat , regular shocks. Mine is grabber yellow ( I had the whole interior out and it's definitely original ) 4 speed, fold down back seat, staggered rear shocks deluxe black interior......... Whomever did the "cloning" did a perfect job. Thoughts?????

Yes and also check the date codes stamped on various panels and parts. If you can see with a mirror, is there a visible partial VIN on the block, drivers side under the head. If you can see it, take a pic, That hopefully will match the partial VIN on the aprons. Here's a pic of what you're looking for on the aprons.
Oh, and what's shown on your ownership (or whatever you call it where you live)

Attachments

• Apron VIn_LI.jpg
    Apron VIn_LI.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 40
Nothing but the dash vin, everything else was taken off
Well, that sucks! What were you able to register it with? If the VIN on the dash, then I would say at least you know THAT part was not stolen.
If you have not taken a fender off before., take you time, it's a lot of work. You probably don't need to completely pull it off, but you will have to loosen it all first. There will be some sealant along the top of the apron as well as some shims. The sealant and shims will need to go back in. 3M strip sealant works best imo. You should be able to pull the top back enough to see the partial VIN....hopefully it's there still!!! While there, try to see if there are any signs of welding. VIN's have been known to be cut out and welded into a different car. I'm NOT saying yours will be, but my suspicious mind would have me do that.
Now I'm waiting for some good news>

I might add that my 72 that was built oct. 71 had a partial vin stamped on the firewall . I can only see it with a mirror or when the engine was out

Well, that sucks! What were you able to register it with? If the VIN on the dash, then I would say at least you know THAT part was not stolen.
If you have not taken a fender off before., take you time, it's a lot of work. You probably don't need to completely pull it off, but you will have to loosen it all first. There will be some sealant along the top of the apron as well as some shims. The sealant and shims will need to go back in. 3M strip sealant works best imo. You should be able to pull the top back enough to see the partial VIN....hopefully it's there still!!! While there, try to see if there are any signs of welding. VIN's have been known to be cut out and welded into a different car. I'm NOT saying yours will be, but my suspicious mind would have me do that.
Now I'm waiting for some good news>
I did get a title that matches the dash vin. I'll keep you posted

My '71 was built in April of '71, I'm going to see if I can find it on my firewall. I already know it's on my fender aprons.

Edit: I couldn't find it on my firewall. I did find something stamped, not a partial VIN, maybe a date, not very legible, even after scraping it off.

Last edited:
In one of Scott’s (Qcode351) Saturday morning garage videos, he found a VIN stamped on the inside upper portion of his firewall. His was a 72 - I’m not certain if this location would apply across all years but it would not surprise me if there are additional hidden stamping in addition to the apron ones.

Link to the post and video - hope this works

https://7173mustangs.com/threads/more-video-firewall-cowl.1311/

Back