Nut and Bolt Restoration 1970 BOSS 302

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steve, I talked to Bob last night and he has installed the Moog front suspension parts already. When he decides to do something, it's done fast!

He does have a question you or someone else with knowledge of Boss 302's might be able to help with. He is using cross ply tires as you know, but having difficulty with set up. He has aligned the front to specs given to him, but says it feels "squirmy". Could be he's just not used to old style tires or it could be the setting he was given are wrong. I forget exactly what he told me, so I won't quote anything for now. I suggested he throw the old 500's on for driving and use the cross-ply's for shows!

Can someone offer recommendations?

As for the silver Lincoln, I did find out who was driving it, but he was not there last night. It could be a restoration project car he was working on, so I might not see it again. If I find out more info, I'll pass it on.

Geoff.

Very nice car/ Thanks for posting.

For our cars running steel wheels and hubcaps, the 15" trim rings are almost impossible to find in decent shape.

I would still like to find two nice ones to make a complete set for my Boss.

Ray

Very nice car/   Thanks for posting.

For our cars running steel wheels and hubcaps, the 15" trim rings are almost impossible to find in decent shape.

I would still like to find two nice ones to make a complete set for my Boss.

Ray
 He's treating the set of rings he has like gold, wrapped up and put away safely.

Thanks to all for your positive comments.

Geoff.

Steve, I talked to Bob last night and he has installed the Moog front suspension parts already. When he decides to do something, it's done fast!

He does have a question you or someone else with knowledge of Boss 302's might be able to help with. He is using cross ply tires as you know, but having difficulty with set up. He has aligned the front to specs given to him, but says it feels "squirmy". Could be he's just not used to old style tires or it could be the setting he was given are wrong. I forget exactly what he told me, so I won't quote anything for now. I suggested he throw the old 500's on for driving and use the cross-ply's for shows!

Can someone offer recommendations?

As for the silver Lincoln, I did find out who was driving it, but he was not there last night. It could be a restoration project car he was working on, so I might not see it again. If I find out more info, I'll pass it on.

Geoff.
Wow Geoff, he does work quickly! I would have cried for a couple of weeks knowing I needed to rip out just completed work. If the front is set to specs by some one he knows is competent and he trusts, then I would start with the tires. After I installed a set of BFG radials on my just purchased 71 Mach 1 in 75, I couldn't believe the difference. After that I could not believe how I was ever able to hold one of these beasts on the road. Of course until the performance radials starting appearing on the market we really didn't have any thing to compare to the bias ply tire. To most of us, radial tires were something found on Lincolns and Mercedes.

The 72 "N" code Gran Torino I bought used had a set of Daytona belted (I believe fiberglass) tires that would actually flat spot when setting overnight and would would ride just like a car that that flat spots with no rubber on them in the morning. When they did warm up things were no better. The bouncing was traded for something that handled like the steering column was made out of rubber. Every ridge or rut made in the road by trucks it tried to follow. I used to joke that you needed two people to drive it since it handled so badly. Another set of BFG's and it was back to only needing one person to hold onto the steering wheel.

After I replaced the "N" 429 with a cross bred CJ/Police Interceptor and upgraded the suspension with some more police car parts, it was a blast to drive.

Ford did have a catalog (from the 70's Muscle Parts program) that involved chassis Modification on the Boss 302, but I believe it was geared more to the Boss owners that were road course racing.

Since Bob is probably using his for occasional shows and some cruising I doubt he wants to get involved in those sort of mods to his Boss.

I would go with your suggestion. I would run the Magnums with some good radials for cruising (where you want to have fun and enjoy your car) and run the 15" steel rims for shows.

That's what a friend of mine and the shop Service Manager would do before a car show. He would put his 70 Boss 302 on a shop lift and pull the Bob Glidden Five Star radial equipped "Everyday" rims off. It was a factory Magnum car so he had those and a set of Goodyear tires with the proper "Polyglas GT F60-15" tires that he never drove on other than on the show field!! lol  Can't mess with money!!   :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Given that everything is tight and the tires are good, increasing the caster (+) helps to stabilize. The more positive the caster, the more it wants to stay straight but additional steering input is needed and that is why you will find some non-power steering specs have less caster than power steering specs. 

Remember the old banana seat bikes? Those had positive caster and you could let go of the handle bars and still go straight. Look ma, no hands! Ever try turning the handle bars around and riding? Now you have negative caster and the steering is very easy but also very touchy. If you try to ride with no hands, you will go straight... straight to the ground as the caster tries to turn the tire back to positive. Don't go too crazy with caster as it can mess up the turning geometry. All of those alignment angles, tire size and the car's stance have to work together.

Steve, I think I'd agree with you on the tires being the main issue. I'll pass on all the comments.

As for radials, we had them in Europe and the UK years before the US and Canada. When I came here in 73, I could NOT believe I had to relearn how to drive on bias ply tires. My first Mustang, a 71 sportroof 302 had something like E70 14's, What a joke!! My cars in England ran Goodyear G800 radials and that was in the mid 60's.

Thanks for your comments,

Geoff.

Given that everything is tight and the tires are good, increasing the caster (+) helps to stabilize. The more positive the caster, the more it wants to stay straight but additional steering input is needed and that is why you will find some non-power steering specs have less caster than power steering specs. 

Remember the old banana seat bikes? Those had positive caster and you could let go of the handle bars and still go straight. Look ma, no hands! Ever try turning the handle bars around and riding? Now you have negative caster and the steering is very easy but also very touchy. If you try to ride with no hands, you will go straight... straight to the ground as the caster tries to turn the tire back to positive. Don't go too crazy with caster as it can mess up the turning geometry. All of those alignment angles, tire size and the car's stance have to work together.
Thank you too for your input. I'll pass that on to Bob.

Actually, I don't remember Banana seat bikes, we didn't have them in the UK that I know of, but I do know what you're saying.

Geoff.

Back