Painting Replacement Cowl Panel

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadOTC

Reaction score
My Car
73 Fastback
So I'm moving along with the cowl replacement on my 73 fastback, and I'm trying to figure out the best thing to paint the inside of it with before welding together to prevent future rust. The new sheetmetal came painted, so i'm guessing I would at the very least have to hit it with some sandpaper before painting. I considered something like POR 15 or Rust Bullett, but those seem to be meant to paint over already rusty sheetmetal. Would engine bay paint be the best option, or is there a better option? Thanks for the help.

Hi Mad,

Basically, the pre coated industrial primers used on new sheet steel are pretty good in their own right for long term anti rust protection. However, there's nothing wrong with recoating them for insurance, insides in particular.

The most important thing though, is to do this process after all welding is done if you can. The black primer needs to be dry or wet sanded well all over for adhesion purposes,(around 400to 800 w&dry) and then you could spot prime or whole panel prime with 2Pak primer over any bare steel areas, and then follow through with a few topcoat options, from more black 2Pak satin to a color matched 2Pak finish(solid or basecoat/clearcoat finish), even use epoxy primers or blacks if you want. Try to stick to using 2Pak and/or epoxy finishes in preference to any single pak lacquer products, as lacquers don't offer the matched durability of the other paints.Sorry, i forgot, seam sealing should take place after priming has been done.

Finish off when you're ready,with a quality rust preventitve coating on the inside areas for extra rust prevention insurance.

Greg.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info, that thread is full of a lot of great information. Hope my project turns out that well.

Latest posts

Back