Power steering pump ERUPTION! [Update question]

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it might help to raise the wheels off the ground as you do the above
That was step one. Then we tried the vacuum pump after. The symptoms never went away.

I was reading that some Ford PS steering reservoirs have a non serviceable filter that can cause this issue. They recommend replacing the pump. If you use fluid additives avoid Teflon based ones as they clog the filter quickly. Just throwing this out as a possible cause.

Just to step in again... When there is a mechanical failure, there is always a cause. I have two 73 Mustangs and both have their original PS pumps and gear boxes, making them 43 years old and no failures..

This being the second pump installed on your car, tells me there is a problem somewhere in the system causing these pumps to go bad..

The guys on this forum are on the right track with replacing the pump if it's noisy now.. There may be some internal damage to the vanes.. I would take it apart and inspect it for metal filings or a clogged filter just for sh--ts and giggles.. If the pump is contaminated, then so is the gear box..

One other thing.. If the pump you just installed is under warranty, return it for a replacement..

It just doesn't seem logical that a second pump has gone bad without knowing what caused the failure to begin with..

Just to step in again... When there is a mechanical failure, there is always a cause. I have two 73 Mustangs and both have their original PS pumps and gear boxes, making them 43 years old and no failures..

This being the second pump installed on your car, tells me there is a problem somewhere in the system causing these pumps to go bad..

The guys on this forum are on the right track with replacing the pump if it's noisy now.. There may be some internal damage to the vanes.. I would take it apart and inspect it for metal filings or a clogged filter just for sh--ts and giggles.. If the pump is contaminated, then so is the gear box..

One other thing.. If the pump you just installed is under warranty, return it for a replacement..

It just doesn't seem logical that a second pump has gone bad without knowing what caused the failure to begin with..
I had a hose leak shortly after the install and although we fixed it pretty quick I know it ran dry a couple times before I could top it up. It was a little noisy ever since. I'm just chalking it up to that. This is the first time we've ever had these symptoms.

I installed one on my 66 vert to go along with a Borgesen power assisted gear box to get rid of all the fluid leaks associated with the ram cylinder and hoses. Very clean install, compact. My only issue with it is that when you remove the mounting bolts, it leaks. The mounting bolts also seal the reservoir. So you should drain it before removal. I think it also has higher pressure than the Ford unit. The pump and box combo are a huge improvement to the old 66 steering. I also added an Ididit tilt column.

I installed one on my 66 vert to go along with a Borgesen power assisted gear box to get rid of all the fluid leaks associated with the ram cylinder and hoses. Very clean install, compact. My only issue with it is that when you remove the mounting bolts, it leaks. The mounting bolts also seal the reservoir. So you should drain it before removal. I think it also has higher pressure than the Ford unit. The pump and box combo are a huge improvement to the old 66 steering. I also added an Ididit tilt column.
Thanks for the info. I was looking for a new power steering pump myself and saw this pop up on the website. Not sure it is worth the extra expense though and I wasn't sure if it is compatible with my existing steering box or not.

Thanks for the info. I was looking for a new power steering pump myself and saw this pop up on the website. Not sure it is worth the extra expense though and I wasn't sure if it is compatible with my existing steering box or not.
The Saginaw pump is pretty easy to tune. You can adjust the output pressure pretty easily by removing the regulaulator piston and adjusting it's length with shims. It can be used with the 71-73 box. The Saginaw pump is light, simple and you can get a replacement pump anywhere since they were used in millions of GM cars. The picture below shows two different length of pistions, one of them with no shims, one shim and two shims. The longer the piston the lower the pressure. You can change it to provide the amount of assist you want. I'll run one in my 71' when I get it back together.

image.jpeg

I was watching the video again and the fluid appears to have a lot of air in it (Foaming). Have you checked the return hose for any cracks and the clamps are tight? The pump pulls a vacuum on the return line so you may be pulling air too and mixing with the oil and causing it to expand and overflow. I think I would replace that line since you haven't replaced it, pressure line should be good since no leaks. Also do you have the oil cooler on the return line?

Last edited by a moderator:
I was watching the video again and the fluid appears to have a lot of air in it (Foaming). Have you checked the return hose for any cracks and the clamps are tight? The pump pulls a vacuum on the return line so you may be pulling air too and mixing with the oil and causing it to expand and overflow. I think I would replace that line since you haven't replaced it, pressure line should be good since no leaks. Also do you have the oil cooler on the return line?
Honestly the flash made it look worse than it is. The air in it is mostly from going in and out of my pump for two hours prior. And no I don't have the cooler.

Mine is doing the exact same thing , brand new pump , overflowing and foamy did you find a fix?
Try leaving it off for a few hours, and jack the front end up so the wheels are not touching the ground.  With the engine off turn your steering wheel from lock to lock a dozen or so times.  Check fluid, repeat.

After that start it up and see what it does.  Usually there is a ton of air in the system somewhere that compresses then belches a bunch of fluid out making a mess.

Mine is doing the exact same thing , brand new pump , overflowing and foamy did you find a fix?
Hey! Sorry for the late reply. I bought a new pump and it's amazing how much better it is. The pump with the problems was a rebuild I installed a few years ago and it was never as quiet as the new one I got.  As for trying to repair the pump I really don't think it's worth the hassle.

Still fighting mine, seems like my PS box might be sucking in air at the end of the travel turning left. I cant find a resonable power steering box anywhere to purchase here in canada so I'll be trying a rebuild kit on my old one first. THe pump I have is a new cardone one, I hope thats not causing all the air in my system.

It's not possible for your steering box to suck air in when the pump is supplying pressure. It's possible there is still air in the system. Foaming can be caused by low fluid level, causing the pump to pump a mixture of air and fluid, continually pumping more air into the system.

What power steering fluid are you using? Incorrect fluid that doesn't have anti-foaming additives will cause problems.

ATF type F , Ive tried the using engine vacume to purge the air out and still no luck. rebuilt my power steering box as well. Replacing my brand new pressure line with another tonight as the first one I tried I had to make a fitting fit the replacement flex hose and it seemed to always be wet. If the line doesnt fix it tonight i think I'll be replacing the pump again. A1 cardone, read the rebuilt ones are hit or miss. maybe I got a dud.

my pump was the problem, Where the big nut holds the case to the pump was prob impacted on at the factory and cracked the pressure housing inside the pump. so every time i turned the motor off the pressure would release inside of the pump and erupt!! put another new pump on and not it doesnt erupt but still a noisey ford pump.

Did you think about checking the steering box itself? Could it be a blockage in the pressure valve or inlet?

I have not had that issue per se, but did have poor circulation. I had the box and pump rebuilt. Fixed that problem, but now I have a bad pressure valve, not sure why. In my mega experience, any air should easily work itself out by turning the wheels back and forth with the engine running of course. I think your issue is elsewhere.

Back