Power Windows move slowly

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach1
My power windows work but they move up and down quite slow. If I increase the engine rpm above idle they move quicker but still a bit on the slow side. Is this a voltage issue to the window regulator or what could be the problem?

Make sure you have a good chassis ground from your battery's negative terminal. The factory neg battery cable grounded to the inner fender panel and the engine block.

Also, if the grease is old on your window motors it may have hardened to the point of causing resistance in the movement.

First thing I would check is the output voltage of your charging system. If that's not up to spec, then the slow windows are just a symptom. You should see between 13.5v ~ 14.5v at idle, preferably 14.0v at a minimum. If not, then that needs to be addressed before doing anything else.

Do you guys have any preferred products for cleaning the old grease?

For the metal guide rods I've been doing, they have all had sludgy old grease. I have been using brake cleaner and fine sandpaper or steel wool on those. The other metal parts inside the door that move the window up and down I also spray with brake cleaner and scrape away.

For re-greasing, I used to use wheel bearing grease. I have some cars I did like that 10 years ago and its still working fine. I recently changed it up to the tube of white lithium grease from napa.

For most parts I use brake cleaner or throttle body cleaner after wiping away the heavy stuff. For electrical parts I use CRC's Electrical Parts Cleaner I get at Lowe's or HD. It's a fast-drying cleaner that's safe for plastics and electrical components.

Back