Price is Right 50th Anniversary

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome from East Tn. I have always been a believer of "build it your way". A lot of folks have a hard time with that but o'well. I'm glad that a large percentage on here will never see my car because probably nothing on it is "correct". Use the car for what cars are intended for, to drive and enjoy. Not everyone has an unlimited budget or the desire to have a concourse car. If that floats your boat great, if restomod is your desire go for it at the end of the day it sits in your driveway.

Thanks for that. I just have always hated seeing "my" bike/car coming the other way on the road or in a parking lot. I have always made my vehicles different. And some hate em, or love em, they are all the way "I" want them, and that is what matters.

Welcome from West Texas!  As another of the 'build it how you like' crowd, and having had to bring mine back from the dead, I'm actually a bit envious.  I always thought I'd wanted only a Mach 1, but I've been really diggin' on the verts since I've been a member of this site.

You have an AWESOME car!  Sure, there are some things that aren't factory correct.  Big deal.  And yeah, there are some things you might need to address to get it back to 100% (like the missing A/C system, if you even care or need it), but those things are easily done.  At the end of the day, it's a living, breathing '72 Mustang, which is WAY cooler than 99.9999% of the plain vanilla toads out there that people call 'cars' these days.

I've learned over the years that everybody here is just trying to help... each in their own ways.  Take the comments at face value, and the negativity with a grain of salt, and you'll see what I mean.  Some things get lost in translation from spoken to written word, and other times people just have strong opinions about various things.  But the lowest common denominator is that we're all here to enjoy and celebrate '71-'73 Mustangs, in all shapes and states of being.  This site and these guys were my biggest wealth of information, and in many cases, 'cheerleaders' as my project drug on.  I know I'm still in awe of the pristine survivors and factory correct restorations, but as a restomod fan, and someone who doesn't care as much for some of the options (like the dog dish hubcaps, for instance... which is why I'm rollin' Cragars), I'm just as happy seeing what others come up with to make their cars their own.  It'll be fun to see what you come up with for yours.

You've come to the right place!

Pretty much agree with @Mister 4x4 here. (except on the Cragars kuz they rust crazy over here :)  )
As long as a mod is done right and safe. It's all about the hobby, be able to keep these 50 years old beauties on the road and enjoy them!

Welcome from the northern Netherlands.

Thanks again guys! @Mister 4x4 it's like most forums, 99% of the guys are cool and always willing to help, and of course there are the disagreements between the Anoraks (IE purists) and us guys that have to have something different! Normal things for sure. And I'm liking her a lot, just want to drive her, but that will take some work. The fiddly things will take some time, My 94 cobra Is in a million pieces right now and was ahead in line...lol. I already have had neighbors stop by to admire, as I seem to be known in the neighborhood as "that Mustang house"...lol. This my 8th Mustang in 2 years, the others I refurbished.

254119348_1595601607447670_900669460721281869_n.jpg

Well put! Im also known as the neighborhood mustang guy. Had a neighbour last week come by and say.........Per neighborhood covenants you can only own ONE mustang. I knew we don't have any covenants in this old neighborhood but I checked anyways. Obviously he's a jealous neighbor who drives a chevy  :lollerz:

Well put! Im also known as the neighborhood mustang guy. Had a neighbour last week come by and say.........Per neighborhood covenants you can only own ONE mustang. I knew we don't have any covenants in this old neighborhood but I checked anyways. Obviously he's a jealous neighbor who drives a chevy  :lollerz:
Most stop by and talk, even the UPS and Fed Ex guys. They ask if I fix the Mustangs to sell, and I say no. I Build them for me, then want something different and lose my ass selling them off...

Welcome to the site from NC!

I am another from the “do what you want with your car” crowd.  The fact is that the convertibles in 71-73 were marketed and styled more as a deluxe, classier design, and if you want them to seem more “muscle car”, in most cases you are going to have to veer from the original build.  

My personal taste is to start with non-rare vins so I am not losing potential value when I do what I want with my car, and I build them how it makes me happy. I like an aggressive muscle-car look, and modern performance where possible. 

I have two verts myself, and one of them  is a yellow 73 that does have Mach 1 side decals that a previous owner put on. I’ll admit that I don’t like them there. Not because some dude with jeans with a crease in them at a car show is going to comment on the badges, but more because it just seems a touch poseury to me. Problem is that my paint is a little faded so I have left them on assuming if I removed them they’d still be there in ghost form.

Although claiming a different package isn’t my thing, I will blatantly adopt as many of the package’s design elements as I want (My gray vert has a boss blackout on the hood and tail panel, but I wouldn’t put a Boss decal on it).  As far as badging is concerned, I don’t even replace the chrome make and model emblems when I do a car. I like drivers that see some weather so I mostly just see emblems as holes in the side of your sheet metal that catch dirt. 

Anyway, enjoy your car and build it the way you will get the most smiles per hour brother.  Let me just add that on this site the guys who talk about originality are mostly just concerned with things being done right.  Badly integrated mods that are obvious to the eye can sometimes mean a previous owner may have goofed up something you can’t as easily discover, like under the paint or in the drivetrain.  This site has folks from a spectrum of tastes regarding restoration vs modification, but they are all helpful and friendly. 

Last edited by a moderator:
The way you posted your first post, it came across as if you were treating me as I didn't know crap about Mustangs, or the car I just bought. And unless it's not unusual to have a Screaming yellow 72 vert with yellow ram valves and those exact new tires and rims, I believe I own that car now. And everywhere I have seen, it was listed as a tribute car. One person wrote the show listed the cars value at 28,000.00. Which is vert money, not Mach money. Which I'm sure she didn't know the difference.
No offense taken.  My initial comment was in regards to the Price Is Right deal. 

Myself I feel your name is on the title, your car, use it as you please.  Only if you do make it a clone or tribute, be up front with whom ever you sell it to down the road or you could face legal issues.

Welcome to the site, I have always liked the bright "grabber colors" from the 70's.  My '71 is a grabber lime green that I bought as a demo in the spring of '72.  Now has approx 40k on it and mostly stock.

I have interest in all years of stangs, how long have you owned your 94 cobra?  What are your plans for it?  I am the original owner of a 94 GT.  Got it in as a special deal for being a member of a Ford SN95 focus group.  Never seen snow, 19k miles on it.  Pretty loaded.  If you need any photos in your redo of your 94, drop me a line as mine is factory store.

@Hemikiller that would be my guess. The winners have to pay the income tax before they can receive their prizes. So she had a big bill to pay that off in California on 28 grand. So she probably sold it to pay the taxes/title and registration. Well, that would be my guess. Seems that is done often...

@Mac Sorry I took it the wrong way, you never know on the internet. The trolls are usually the first ones to come out from under their rocks to trash talk. now I get you were writing about the show.

I also like the grabber colors, the green is great. (I'm a Kawasaki guy, so...lol) Wow, I bet it's really rare to have original owners of these guys out there.  I was so "flighty" when I was handed down the 73 Grande that Dad bought new, I didn't have it that long before I traded it. Very cool you kept yours!

And a 94 GT, original owner with 19K, that's unheard of, totally cool!

The 94 Cobra I bought a few months ago, really got beat up on that one. Had a built engine But was beat on hard and compression was low and one cylinder totally dead no comp. Needed bodywork. So doing a big rework on it, new motor, turbo, Tubular K member, coil overs, carpeting, front seats, tires, rims, louvers, wing, hood scoop front spoiler, converting to Auto. (bad clutch leg) Just putting a ton of work and money into that.  As I really wasn't expecting to get another Mustang, especially a Big Horse. But now I have a Sunday morning  car , the 72, The Monday thru Friday 2012 GT 5.00 tribute, and The 94 Cobra will be the Saturday night car...lol.

If I have 't already said it here's a "Welcome from Ohio".  As most have mentioned it is "your car" so do as you please.  I would agree that if the car was 100% original than it would be a shame to make modifications to it.  The majority of these cars have had multiple owners over their life time and it's hard to find a pristine car. 

The car I own went through at least 4 different owners that I can trace over it lifetime.  What started out from the factory as a red Sportsroof with a 302, c4 and 3.00 open rear end now sits with a 460, c6 and 3.73 tracloc with stripes and blackout hood.  Along it's life it's also had a 351c with a fmx tranny in it.  When I got  the car it was decked out as a Mach1.  

To those that strive to have that 100% concours car I applaud you.  There are guys whom I envy like Fabrice for his detail work and Bentworker for his fabrication capabilities. 

My build will never match theirs but it is "my build".  It's like the guy standing naked in front of a woman of ill repute.  See looks at him and says " Who you think your going to please with that little thing"?  The guy looks back and says "Me"!

@Kilgon Thanks for the welcome! 

As it is, I am not looking to do anything other than fixing the problems and getting her road worthy. She is pretty much close to what I would have done, The screaming yellow, hockey stick decals, and ram air. That's what caught my eye, great shape and a great looker! The Mach I decals don't bother me, as they weren't really much more than a decal package. I remember when Dad and I went to look at mustangs at the end of 73, the dealership only had 2 Mustangs left, the metallic blue Grande with white top, 351C auto, and a Red Mach I.  Of course I went to the Red Mach I first, and was pretty much disappointed, as it was a 302 3 speed stick. A stripper really. So Dad did get the Grande. So the Mach I decals just don't bother me...

As a side note, I up badged my 66 fastback with GT 350 Decals, because I liked the look. I also took a 97 Cobra and down badged it as much as I could just because I was building a tribute to the Big horses. That's the Yellow car I posted. And on my 2012 GT I built it as a tribute to the 67 Shelby GT 500, with GT 5.00 stripes. That caused a lot of havoc on the S197 boards... LOL.

And I totally get the restored/concourse group, there will always be rivet counters/anoraks. It's when they get on people cases for making cars their own. To me vehicles are for entertainment, not investment or historical significance. 

Lazarus is lucky he lives all the way over in NC... otherwise, he might wake up one morning, look outside, and see a half-assed restomod light pewter Mach 1 in place of his awesome gray vert.  :whistling:

Lazarus is lucky he lives all the way over in NC... otherwise, he might wake up one morning, look outside, and see a half-assed restomod light pewter Mach 1 in place of his awesome gray vert.  :whistling:
Thanks for the compliment brother.  Believe me, the grass is always greener in the other dude’s backyard. That gray vert’s body and paint are very nice but the interior needs a lot of work and the 351 2V is a little tired. I have a 4V in the barn waiting to get rebuilt.  I do like the car very much, don’t get me wrong; but you know how they never are done. 

And I still look at least once a week for the right sportsroof... and whatever color it is now, I assure you it will end up in light pewter. 

@Johnny57 Thanks on the color. I really liked the new Mustangs in the Magnetic Metallic so I just went for it. 

Welcome to our merry band of miscreants. Its real good to se another 73 vert on the property, especially a modified yellow one. 

Like others have said do it your way. Ford built a real nice car, it's up to us to make them better! LOL!!

Back