quarter skin replacement advise

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
seam cut, gap appears to be pretty tight. ready to weld tomorrow

Break out than new air saw and start cutting. Looks good!! After you make the cut you still have time to finalize all your lines and make sure everything is where you want it. Good luck!!

Wow that is a lot of work. Would a full quarter cost that much more?

Looking great! Just make sure you bounce around spot to spot and don't generate too much heat. A wet rag will help keep panel cool. These are really thin and easy to warp. Keep up the good work! You got this!

that's what I'm doing. been using your way rag tip. works well. had to take a break and share up my welding hood. I'm going to try and finish the seam right now. thanks!!!

You also need to skip around when you grind. A tip is to use a SS 3 inch grinding wheel. Use the edge only and only grind the weld. Then movedown the panel 6 inches and do another spot. Keep doing it in that fashion. Yime consuming but will save warpage

thanks for all the help. I wouldn't have known where to start. I would have started on the other side by now, but we actually just had heat wave here in Oregon and I'm not into boiling myself when I don't have to haha.

started the other side. this side had much less repairs needed before I mount the new panel. I might actually be on target to paint in August. I have the next 9 days off work, burning some vacation so I should be able to get alot done (wife permitting) haha

This thread is awesome!. Been looking for some pictures and info for years about the 71-73 rear quarter skins. So after the cuts are made and the welding begins are you doing a series of spot welds 1st and then connecting them with longer bead welds or it this all filled in with spot welds?

Chet

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, when you replace the inner and outer wheel houses + the trunk extension drop off panels is it obvious as to where they cut out and re attached to?

Back