Rear window louvers

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you like the rear window louvers on our cars?

• Louvers

Votes: 16 59.3%
  • No louvers

Votes: 11 40.7%

• Total voters
I have a set on my car. I like the look of the car with or without the louvers. Mine are about twenty old so I can honestly speak to the quality. They've held up very well and still look as good today as when first purchased. I know they slightly reduce visibility but thats the price you pay for cool, that and about 300.00 bucks. I tried to get a feel from the forum before on this subject and the results were mainly positive. From what I can deduce it's strictly a matter of taste. Me I like em.IMG_0892.JPG

I like them very much and they fit the muscle-style of our cars very good.

Bought the set from Summit and it is stunning quality for that price. Installation was pretty easy and it fits perfect. Clearance of the rear deck lid is perfect!

Tim
Summit no longer has a louver for a 73. Called and confirmed. I did find one at Jegs. http://www.jegs.com/i/Astra-Hammond/602/10556/10002/-1?parentProductId=1639359

It's made by Astra-Hammond. Is that who made yours? Says "...no-drill stainless mounting plates allow for a flush fit while allowing for the louver to be easily removed to clean the glass when needed." Sound similar?...and do you actually remove them and has this hardware remained durable? Sorry for so many questions but I don't have much confidence in manufacturing today without real world testimonials...thanks Tim!

Summit no longer has a louver for a 73. Called and confirmed. I did find one at Jegs. http://www.jegs.com/i/Astra-Hammond/602/10556/10002/-1?parentProductId=1639359

It's made by Astra-Hammond. Is that who made yours? Says "...no-drill stainless mounting plates allow for a flush fit while allowing for the louver to be easily removed to clean the glass when needed." Sound similar?...and do you actually remove them and has this hardware remained durable? Sorry for so many questions but I don't have much confidence in manufacturing today without real world testimonials...thanks Tim!
Eric,

Summit have them indeed - they are a litte hidden and not to find with regular search words. Don't know anymore how I found them back then. I have had a little research on the number of mine and "tadaaaaa" - here it is :D

http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/sum-wl10556/overview/

That are exactly the ones I have bought - and they fit exactly! They are complete with all needed hardware. Installation is quite easy. With the hinges it is possible to flip it over for cleaning. You only have to unloosen two screws which are exactly made for this purpose.

For installation you have to push the 2 hinges and 2 brackets under your weatherstrip of the back window. They are with double adhesive tape. Additionally I have put under some black sealant to make it absolutely consistent of rain and moisture. For exact fit I had to bow down the 2 brackets a litte bit to make the louvers absolutely flush with the window.

With a little measuring it is an easy job of 2 cozy hours with some nice beer. The instructions are quite good...

My experience after 1 1/2 years of use: fantastic! Absolutely reliable and stunning look - and I drive my baby also up to 120 mph from time to time! No flattering, no loosen spots, nothing.

I can absolutely recommend them. If you want I can make some photos of the brackets and hinges and the whole thing - it is disassembled at the moment for paint prepare of the body...

It is an absolute steal for this money!

Tim

From the looks of the polls more guys like them than not. They were never a Ford option though. All are aftermarket. It looks like the louvers will save on fading of seat backs tops and any coverings on the shelf behind the seat. Back in 73 my new car was a Gold/Ginger Q code Mach 1, I didn't put louvers on it and I won't be putting them on my 72 now. This however is YOUR car. You can do whatever makes your pony prance. ;)

Thanks again Tim! It's crazy that the summit guy didn't know they had them.

Eric,

Summit have them indeed - they are a litte hidden and not to find with regular search words. Don't know anymore how I found them back then. I have had a little research on the number of mine and "tadaaaaa" - here it is :D

http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/sum-wl10556/overview/

That are exactly the ones I have bought - and they fit exactly! They are complete with all needed hardware. Installation is quite easy. With the hinges it is possible to flip it over for cleaning. You only have to unloosen two screws which are exactly made for this purpose.

For installation you have to push the 2 hinges and 2 brackets under your weatherstrip of the back window. They are with double adhesive tape. Additionally I have put under some black sealant to make it absolutely consistent of rain and moisture. For exact fit I had to bow down the 2 brackets a litte bit to make the louvers absolutely flush with the window.

With a little measuring it is an easy job of 2 cozy hours with some nice beer. The instructions are quite good...

My experience after 1 1/2 years of use: fantastic! Absolutely reliable and stunning look - and I drive my baby also up to 120 mph from time to time! No flattering, no loosen spots, nothing.

I can absolutely recommend them. If you want I can make some photos of the brackets and hinges and the whole thing - it is disassembled at the moment for paint prepare of the body...

It is an absolute steal for this money!

Tim

These were purchased in the early 80s. After I got my car done I did not reinstall them. Then about a year later I put them back on. I like the looks and it certainly keeps the sun off of those interior pieces.

28stqad.jpg

From the looks of the polls more guys like them than not. They were never a Ford option though. All are aftermarket. It looks like the louvers will save on fading of seat backs tops and any coverings on the shelf behind the seat. Back in 73 my new car was a Gold/Ginger Q code Mach 1, I didn't put louvers on it and I won't be putting them on my 72 now. This however is YOUR car. You can do whatever makes your pony prance. ;)
That's right - and how it will prance, dude - not only because of the louvers... :D:D:D

Mine is also a Gold/Ginger Q-code Mach 1 - it will get its original color back soon...

These were purchased in the early 80s. After I got my car done I did not reinstall them. Then about a year later I put them back on. I like the looks and it certainly keeps the sun off of those interior pieces.

28stqad.jpg
Oh man, Steve - I always like your blue color every time I look on! And that louver looks quite right on yours, too... ::thumb::

Thanks again Tim! It's crazy that the summit guy didn't know they had them.

That's why you have me :D

Todays modern business knowledge is everywhere... But Summit also have some good skilled people there, too.

Hope it has helped!

Last edited by a moderator:

28stqad.jpg
Louvers or not I just love the color of your car. If I ever decided to change the color of my car that's the color I want. Beautiful.

28stqad.jpg
Louvers or not I just love the color of your car. If I ever decided to change the color of my car that's the color I want. Beautiful.
+1 ::thumb::

28stqad.jpg
+1 ::thumb::
Wow! your car is sweeeet!!! ...with that cover pulled up, ever so slightly, revealing just a hint of her hind quarters...well that's another topic...better go find my wife. :D

I abstained from the vote--I have an OE set of louvers on my '69, which I love the look on, nice curved edges, solidly built, hefty hinges and hold downs. However, I will NOT install a set on my '72 as I don't like the angular design and cheesy hinges of the louvers you get for '71-73's. Just my opinion though--I don't have a problem with those that do install them. I am sure some think the ones on my '69 look bad.
Good point. Louvers began with 1969 and look perfect. I wish the factory made a set for 123's in the same fashion, then I wouldn't hesitate to get a set. When you compare factory '69's with the aftermarkets, the duty and quality contrast is stark.

For my 1973, I am torn.

Has anyone ever seen rear window louvers on a coupe? I have a grande and love the look of them on other cars of the same era but haven't ever seen any on a 71-73 mustang. Pictures?

In any case I've come to love the look of the louvers on the 71 72 73 Mustang's, they just add to the coolness of an already very cool looking car, not to mention they help to keep the car cool inside when it's hot outside.

Got some trivia for you. Ford put rear window louvers in the 1949 Ford for the first time I think. I have a 1950 Ford tudor sedan with rear window wiper and rear window louvers. They went on the inside of the window clipped into the rubber seal. They were a Ford option and not aftermarket. So the 69 was not the first year for the rear window louvers.

Car has a little over 16,000 miles on it.

No pics on this computer.

Got some trivia for you. Ford put rear window louvers in the 1949 Ford for the first time I think. I have a 1950 Ford tudor sedan with rear window wiper and rear window louvers. They went on the inside of the window clipped into the rubber seal. They were a Ford option and not aftermarket. So the 69 was not the first year for the rear window louvers.

Car has a little over 16,000 miles on it.

No pics on this computer.
Just goes to show there really is nothing new under the sun and what's old it new again. LOL

Back